I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:43:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 283451 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 31, 2018, 21:00:30 »

Thanks for the information. My IET (Intercity Express Train) from Didcot to Bristol definitely had the pantographs down as it came into Didcot and that is what my assumption was based on. This was mid April so I guess there was some other reason for it's diesel running.

IETs never arrive at Didcot with the pantograph raised, they are lowered at Moreton Cutting around 2 miles to the east of the station to prevent any electrical overrunning.

That does rather explain it. Many thanks
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 02, 2018, 11:19:07 »

IETs (Intercity Express Train) never arrive at Didcot with the pantograph raised, they are lowered at Moreton Cutting around 2 miles to the east of the station to prevent any electrical overrunning.

That does rather explain it. Many thanks

ET's comment (post 246) was that electric operation West of Didcot would start on Sept 18.

I imagine that he's the one that will be switching it all on!

OTC
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #302 on: August 02, 2018, 13:59:22 »

Further comment to me today - seems to be commonly know, but I have not seen it here.     From Royal Wootton Bassett the power will be switched on as far at the outskirts of Chippenham, but the final bit to Thingley will be some considerable time later (a year or two?).   Confirmation, any experts?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 02, 2018, 15:11:29 »

That's what I've heard, stopping at Cocklebury Bridge (or whatever its called), with power feeds running from Melksham along/under ground?, they may not continue until they decide to carry on to Bath
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 03, 2018, 09:37:38 »

Vale of White Horse has refused permission to demolish Steventon Bridge:
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/16394893.victory-in-rail-bridge-battle-but-have-they-won-the-war/?ref=rss

What the implications for electric running to Swindon, given that the wires are now live? Does this mean a ludicrous speed restriction for years to come while this is argued about?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 03, 2018, 10:01:42 »

This is just getting ridiculous.  A project to improve the railway for all gets the boot put in by a few.  Reading up about the bridge concerned, its not even a good example of Brunels work.  Politics at play me thinks.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 03, 2018, 10:03:38 »

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/16394893.victory-in-rail-bridge-battle-but-have-they-won-the-war/?ref=rss

What the implications for electric running to Swindon, given that the wires are now live? Does this mean a ludicrous speed restriction for years to come while this is argued about?
Only in this country would something like this happen...backward Britain.

Chris Grayling needs to get this overturned for the sake of progress on this already wretched electrification project.

Brunel would have been the first person to have stuck dynamite underneath it for the sake of progressing the railway.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 03, 2018, 10:08:06 »

What with this and the Goring Gap - where next?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #308 on: August 03, 2018, 10:37:21 »

What with this and the Goring Gap - where next?

Chippenham Station footbridge  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 03, 2018, 10:56:38 »

Perhaps Didcot Railway Centre could provide steam traction to shunt IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) from Didcot station to the other side of the bridge. That should keep them happy!
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 03, 2018, 11:17:16 »

What an excellent idea. As good as one of the comments in the Oxford Mail article:

Perhaps we could start a competition. Steal a brick, post a photograph of the gap left, and the winner is the one who takes the last one before it collapses, like a giant "Jengo" (?)[sic]

Unfortunately it also punishes people from the area who are supporting the development so perhaps I should delete this post before somebody takes me seriously.

I suppose the villagers could be given the big pile of bricks and they could re-build the bridge somewhere, in a field, as a monument to stupidity ?
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 03, 2018, 12:05:35 »

From the press reports, the local objections seem more to do with the village being cut in two for 10 months during reconstruction. The listing is just a happy coincidence!

What should reasonably have been proposed is a temporary, Bailey type bridge alongside the old one.

A wider span, prefabricated steel permanent replacement would be quicker to build as the abutments' construction sites would be well away from the tracks and wires in use (and allow later 4-tracking).

The LC (Level Crossing)'s might also have been closed if the village road links were improved.

A pity no one in authority in NR» (Network Rail - home page) had the slightest interest in the areas through which the GWML (Great Western Main Line) passes, just like the AoNB problem.

A classic case of change mis-management.

OTC
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 03, 2018, 13:03:45 »

I'd say it is a classic case of planning committees dodging unpopular decisions that they know will be overturned on appeal, but they won't then be blamed for.  The 'village cut in two' argument should be taken with the pinch of salt: the railway is to the south of the village, with very few houses on the 'wrong side', many of which are usually accessed by the level crossings anyway. A temporary bridge may be possible, I couldn't say. But other places have suffered worse severance from bridge closures. The situation should be manageable.
Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 03, 2018, 13:25:11 »

60mph restriction to electric stock in place is the rumour. But because of how GW (Great Western)-ATP (Automatic Train Protection) works this will actually be a restriction of 60 for all ATP fitted stock, so even on diesel mode the IETs (Intercity Express Train) will still have to slow down.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 03, 2018, 13:32:44 »

Meanwhile the newts are no doubt breeding, but not of course breeding to the extent that they become no longer endangered. Indeed the present drought  must be increasing the hazards to newts.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: