Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 19:50:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[249] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[57] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[38] Cornish delays
[36] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[20] Where have I been?
[20] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 286109 times)
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 03, 2018, 13:37:57 »

The newts are getting together with the bats to move somewhere between Bicester and Bletchely...
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #316 on: August 03, 2018, 14:35:06 »

I'd say it is a classic case of planning committees dodging unpopular decisions that they know will be overturned on appeal, but they won't then be blamed for.  The 'village cut in two' argument should be taken with the pinch of salt: the railway is to the south of the village, with very few houses on the 'wrong side', many of which are usually accessed by the level crossings anyway. A temporary bridge may be possible, I couldn't say. But other places have suffered worse severance from bridge closures. The situation should be manageable.

I can see some of the villagers' logic. AIUI (as I understand it) they say the pubs get a lot of business from Milton Park, and certainly looking on Street View (I've only ever been to Steventon once!) the two pubs closest to the bridge have big car parks. Removing the direct road route would hit that trade. Village pubs are pretty borderline these days in any case - I can envisage a scenario in which a ten-month Steventon Bridge closure leads to one of the pubs closing, and once they've gone you don't get them back.

That's not to say that Steventon Bridge should stay as it is forever, or that there isn't some sort of feasible solution (a temporary visitors' car park and turning space south of the bridge, coupled with a pedestrian/cycle bridge, would be my first thought).
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 03, 2018, 15:06:52 »

I certainly sympathise with them over the difficulties you mention. The pubs are certainly very dependent upon lunchtime trade from Milton Park, and probably Harwell as well (they were regular venues when I worked at Harwell 10 years ago). However, my sympathy is somewhat tested by their approach they have taken, namely to find ludicrous arguments for not replacing the bridge rather than focusing on finding solutions to the problems replacement will bring. When Network Rail (NR» (Network Rail - home page)) gets the decision overturned they will simply have to put up with whatever NR does, and there won't be much time to find alternative ways of doing things.

Your suggestion of a temporary car park south of the bridge is a good one. I would also suggest that this should give an incentive for sorting out the proposed cycle path between Steventon and Milton Park adjacent to the railway, something there is demand for but which has made little progress for years. Perhaps shuttle buses using the level crossing could be considered?

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 11:44:44 by VickiS » Logged
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 03, 2018, 15:17:22 »

I think most of the objections have been around the time the bridge would be out, rather than loss of the bridge itself, although these have not been zero. Historic England for one does not object.

Unfortuately there is no open land to put in a temporary bridge, although maybe there would be for pedstrians only. The only theoretical short diversion route is Stocks Lane, and this is an unsuitable single track without any passing places, too narrow even for Google to have taken its vehicle down (comically the sign at the entry just says 'Unsuitable for HGV').
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 03, 2018, 17:34:58 »

I would only add that the cost of an early agreed compromise is usually far less than the cost of conflict and delay.

OTC
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 03, 2018, 18:10:42 »

From the press reports, the local objections seem more to do with the village being cut in two for 10 months during reconstruction. The listing is just a happy coincidence!

What should reasonably have been proposed is a temporary, Bailey type bridge alongside the old one.

No doubt there would then be further objections due to the noise generated by vehicles going over the bridge.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 03, 2018, 18:19:50 »

Since, according to Steventon News,  Vale planners recommended acceptance and the Council went against their recommendation, then it is almost certain to be overturned on appeal. The councillors almost certainly know this, but are trying not to upset the locals.

didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 03, 2018, 19:46:18 »

May not be coincidental that the Vale council election is next year. Although presuming this goes to appeal it will cost more money.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 03, 2018, 21:11:34 »

May not be coincidental that the Vale council election is next year. Although presuming this goes to appeal it will cost more money.

Ahh what money when votes are at stake! Or am I being too cynical?
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 21, 2018, 18:58:44 »

Bits of extension to Platform 3 stacked up at Didcot ... it has been taking a while

Also Station Road in Didcot will be closed to the west of the station from 31st August 2018 for 3 days in connection with the installation of the new pedestrian footbridge. Signed local traffic diversion in place (Foxhall Road/Broadway/Haydon Road), delays inevitable.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 12, 2018, 20:55:56 »

I have been reliably informed that the juice has been switched on as far as the Neutral Sections at Wotton Bassett.  There are some on load tests to be done before permitted for passenger train use; however the current slow down in timetable changes may mean GWR (Great Western Railway) cannot run the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) in electric mode.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 12, 2018, 21:13:29 »

I travelled from Swindon to Bristol parkway today.  All the string appears (as far as you can tell from a moving train) to be in place as far as Chipping Sodbury. From there to Westerleigh it seems to be work in progress then no string from there to Parkway.   

I have been reliably informed that the juice has been switched on as far as the Neutral Sections at Wotton Bassett.  There are some on load tests to be done before permitted for passenger train use; however the current slow down in timetable changes may mean GWR (Great Western Railway) cannot run the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) in electric mode.

What stops them from running in electric mode to the existing timetable?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 12, 2018, 22:29:16 »

I travelled from Swindon to Bristol parkway today.  All the string appears (as far as you can tell from a moving train) to be in place as far as Chipping Sodbury. From there to Westerleigh it seems to be work in progress then no string from there to Parkway.   

Apart from running times being quicker, there is also on board data that need to be set so the train and drive know when to pan down / up

It is only a may mean, I am sure there will be a work around

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 13, 2018, 03:26:31 »

Apart from running times being quicker, there is also on board data that need to be set so the train and drive know when to pan down / up

It is only a may mean, I am sure there will be a work around

Pan up and pan down is currently done manually by the driver, lineside signage is provided. The automatic system (APCo) is currently disabled as this is causing interference with the signalling equipment
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 13, 2018, 06:22:38 »

I would be disappointed if the wires are energised and ready for use and not used. This project has already been a huge embarrassment without it being discovered that trains were still running on diesel when they could be running on electric.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: