Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:10:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 283366 times)
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 28, 2018, 08:21:14 »

Word elsewhere that the juice is due to be turned on to Southcote Junction on 14th Oct and on the 21st to Newbury.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 28, 2018, 09:08:54 »

Came through Filton on the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) diversion from Patchway yesterday and began to have hallucinations about the possibility of Four Track Sooner than Expected. A new name for the FTSE ! It seemed to be not far short of finishing touches in places and there was a sense of urgency about the works even at 4.30pm on a gorgeous late September afternoon.There are three months before the end of the year. Is an early finish feasible or am I away with the fairies again ?
I am sure I will quickly be brought back to reality by someone more knowledgeable on this forum.
Mods...you may wish to move this to the Four Track Forum as there is no electrification planned for this bit!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 19:01:04 by chuffed » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 28, 2018, 22:18:12 »

Mods...you may wish to move this to the Four Track Forum as there is no electrification planned for this bit!

Ah, but surely there is? The work was "paused", not cancelled, and a great deal of the preparatory work has been done. It would have made perfect sense to have incorporated electrification into the four-tracking work, as a lot of the issues that have slowed the work down elsewhere probably had to be fixed anyway. Even if the route through Bath stays diesel only, much would be gained from wiring up Filton Bank.

Now, please!
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 30, 2018, 11:48:38 »

I travelled from reading to Westbury today.  Overhead wiring is complete except for a section east of Newbury racecourse.  Electrification ends just west of Newbury station at MP53½.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 30, 2018, 14:39:10 »

Overhead wiring is complete except for a section east of Newbury racecourse

You refer to the gap at Kennet Viaduct, where there are power lines that cross the track (not far above where the OHLE wires will be once installed).

A lot of contractors and plant on the site when I had a look around yesterday. Not sure how they're going to resolve, but assume that whatever the plan is it will be carried out during the final blockade (8th Oct for 4 days).
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 30, 2018, 17:08:02 »

Ah, but surely there is? The work was "paused", not cancelled, and a great deal of the preparatory work has been done. It would have made perfect sense to have incorporated electrification into the four-tracking work, as a lot of the issues that have slowed the work down elsewhere probably had to be fixed anyway. Even if the route through Bath stays diesel only, much would be gained from wiring up Filton Bank.
It's always been my understanding that Filton Bank is to be electrified after the four-tracking is complete. Not sure whether this includes the whole of the "Filton diamond" (don't know its proper name, sorry) and Dr Day's Junction.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 01, 2018, 13:12:28 »

It's always been my understanding that Filton Bank is to be electrified after the four-tracking is complete. Not sure whether this includes the whole of the "Filton diamond" (don't know its proper name, sorry) and Dr Day's Junction.

I was under the impression that Filton Bank was on-hold, along with Chippenham to Bristol and Temple Meads itself, as there would be little use for it until there were regular Bristol to London services via Parkway.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 01, 2018, 13:23:39 »

I was under the impression that Filton Bank was on-hold, along with Chippenham to Bristol and Temple Meads itself, as there would be little use for it until there were regular Bristol to London services via Parkway.
Yes, that's what I'm saying too! The wires will go from Temple Meads to Parkway and from there to London and Cardiff.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #353 on: October 01, 2018, 13:42:43 »

Aren't regular services from London to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) via BPM contained within the Jan19 (now May19ish) timetable?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 01, 2018, 14:03:11 »

Yes, there appears to be some confusion here.

As Chris says, services will operate from Bristol TM(resolve) via Parkway to Paddington from the 'big bang' timetable change - now moved from Jan '19 to May '19.  They will operate on diesel from Temple Meads to Parkway and electric from there.  Parkway to Temple Meads electrifcation was deferred (along with Thingly Junction to Temple Meads) so whilst it might well still happen it won't be finished for several years. 

Personally I can see electrification of both routes into Bristol Temple Meads going from 'deferred' to 'shelved'.  There's little performance benefit wiring the short section from Temple Meads to Parkway, and its hard to justify going to the bother of wiring up the complex layout at Temple Meads unless you are also wiring the route through to Thingly Junction.  I think that is doubtful due to the limited performance benefit on that stretch of track as well and the complexity of wiring Box Tunnel and the Bath area.

So, unless there is a big swing back in favour of electrification, and the route through from Birmingham to Exeter is electrified (also unlikely IMHO (in my humble opinion)) then Bristol Temple Meads won't be seeing wires any time soon!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 01, 2018, 19:44:39 »

As Chris says, services will operate from Bristol TM(resolve) via Parkway to Paddington from the 'big bang' timetable change - now moved from Jan '19 to May '19.  They will operate on diesel from Temple Meads to Parkway and electric from there.  Parkway to Temple Meads electrifcation was deferred (along with Thingly Junction to Temple Meads) so whilst it might well still happen it won't be finished for several years. 

Personally I can see electrification of both routes into Bristol Temple Meads going from 'deferred' to 'shelved'.  There's little performance benefit wiring the short section from Temple Meads to Parkway, and its hard to justify going to the bother of wiring up the complex layout at Temple Meads unless you are also wiring the route through to Thingly Junction.  I think that is doubtful due to the limited performance benefit on that stretch of track as well and the complexity of wiring Box Tunnel and the Bath area.

So, unless there is a big swing back in favour of electrification, and the route through from Birmingham to Exeter is electrified (also unlikely IMHO (in my humble opinion)) then Bristol Temple Meads won't be seeing wires any time soon!

All depends on how many marginal seats there are in Bristol at the next election!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 02, 2018, 13:45:26 »

All depends on how many marginal seats there are in Bristol at the next election!

There's a relatively recent consultant's report kicking around somewhere, which, from memory, says that if you want Bristol suburban electrification, there are a number of big ticket items that will have to be paid for, including a new grid feeder, a new depot for the electric stock, resignalling south of Temple Meads and sorting a number of bridges including Wells Road in Bristol. The conclusion was that the numbers only added up if it were funded at a national level as part of a cross-country electrification programme.   
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 02, 2018, 19:53:19 »

Its the Bath Road bridge, the Wells Road begins a few hundred metres to the south of the bridge crossing the west end Temple Meads station throat. I was once told that the estimated cost of replacing that bridge alone with the associated roadworks was £400 million as the council stipulated that it had to be 6 lanes plus pedestrian walkways and it would also mean CPO's for acquisition of land from Fowlers (M/C showroom) and Kwik-Fit(?) (tyres and exhausts).
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 02, 2018, 21:56:46 »

Its the Bath Road bridge, the Wells Road begins a few hundred metres to the south of the bridge crossing the west end Temple Meads station throat. I was once told that the estimated cost of replacing that bridge alone with the associated roadworks was £400 million as the council stipulated that it had to be 6 lanes plus pedestrian walkways and it would also mean CPO's for acquisition of land from Fowlers (M/C showroom) and Kwik-Fit(?) (tyres and exhausts).

Surely the railway should not have to pay for betterment for the road?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 03, 2018, 08:44:34 »

Surely the railway should not have to pay for betterment for the road?

Ahh, but the BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) would be making a contribution supported by a Central Government grant from the roads improvement fund.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: