Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:46:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 283393 times)
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 30, 2018, 21:42:26 »

If a train takes an un-wired turnout with pantograph up, does anything bad happen, anyway? 

Is an IET (Intercity Express Train) clever enough to know whether there's a catenary wire above it?

Its not clever enough currently.  A feature called APCo (Automatic Power Changeover) is fitted to the train which will automatically change to diesel using track balises, but it is not currently working.  Running out of catenary would mean there is nothing to stop the pantograph from raising to its fullest extent.  Expect it to be removed from the train when it gets to the next overbridge!

Not true, ADD (Automatic Dropping Device) will drop the pan.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 30, 2018, 21:53:01 »

I stand corrected.  Cheesy

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Sassafras

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 01, 2018, 10:11:39 »

As I've said before, being an 'old Southern' man, the unpopular
 3rd rail did seem a lot less complicated.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #588 on: December 01, 2018, 11:04:25 »

Not said here before - that's your first post - welcome to the forum!   Grin

Also as an immigrant from third rail land, I really do look and wonder at all this string!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
YouKnowNothing

View Profile Email
« Reply #589 on: December 01, 2018, 11:38:12 »

Isn’t it to do with the power supply requirements? I.e. the the long length of the route would have required additional transformers every X miles instead of every Y miles?

Not said here before - that's your first post - welcome to the forum!   Grin

Also as an immigrant from third rail land, I really do look and wonder at all this string!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 01, 2018, 16:41:23 »

You don't get the same performance from 3rd Rail either - 108mph is the world record.  And added safety risks of course.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 01, 2018, 17:47:49 »

Its not unknown for units to get "gapped" either through units operating over routes where a full gapping survey has not been done or for example at Wokingham a unit get the wrong road and heads off to Guildford and runs out of juice rail.

You don't get the same performance from 3rd Rail either - 108mph is the world record.  And added safety risks of course.

This is true, also to get the higher performace the "nominal" Voltage is closer to 800V than it is to 750V.  But current collection is the main problem the anount of down force and surface area of the shoe either means lots of shoes or ones that get worn out quickly.  Power supply verses the number of trains becomes an issue meaning a substation ever 4 miles intead of every 10 for an AT 25kV system

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #592 on: December 01, 2018, 17:50:07 »

For some places / services, 90 m.p.h. with good acceleration makes sense ... getting away from GW (Great Western) main line, but infill on Wokingham - Reigate would make senses to me ... and I don't see in excess of 90 m.p.h. being needed at Cowden or Three Oaks and Guestling!     Happy to have third rail up from Southampton area to Wiltshire and taking it to Bristol; I doubt the good folks of Bath would complain about it being unsightly.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 01, 2018, 18:36:19 »

For some places / services, 90 m.p.h. with good acceleration makes sense ... getting away from GW (Great Western) main line, but infill on Wokingham - Reigate would make senses to me ... and I don't see in excess of 90 m.p.h. being needed at Cowden or Three Oaks and Guestling!     Happy to have third rail up from Southampton area to Wiltshire and taking it to Bristol; I doubt the good folks of Bath would complain about it being unsightly.

I suppose they might get away with Salisbury on the grounds that Totton/Eastleigh-Romsey-Worting Junction via the Laverstock Curve** was "infill" but even then Salisbury itself isn't.

**The curve is the straight side of the triangle, and the other two routes are more curved than the curve - glad we cleared that up.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 01, 2018, 19:54:37 »

Happy to have third rail up from Southampton area to Wiltshire and taking it to Bristol; I doubt the good folks of Bath would complain about it being unsightly.

Apart from the safety considerations, the additional cost of DC (Direct Current) power equipment (more substation and the need for rectifiers). Does the amount of traffic justfy electrification on this line? Surely there are higher priorities. It cannot even be justified as infill! Even west of Bathampton there would only be the Southampton Bristol services using it as the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s don't run on DC. Electrifying Bathampton to Bristol on 3rd Rail would be extremely short-sighted and a waste of money! 

New electrification should be 25kV OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE").

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 01, 2018, 20:51:22 »

Agree, all new electrification should be 25KV AC .
Third rail should be confined to existing routes and to very minor additions, infills, and extensions in third rail areas.

The former "Southern" third rail system is allegedly the largest in the world, and is much more extensive than is sensible at such a low voltage. It was never properly planned, but "just sort of grew".

The merits of DC (Direct Current) electric trains over steam power became clear about 100 years ago for intensively used inner suburban routes, and then gradually spread to the outer suburbs and eventually as far as the south coast.

Third rail needs relatively low voltages, and that needs frequent substations which adds to expense for equipment and land purchase.
A lethal voltage exposed at ankle height is a greater danger than a much higher voltage that is well out of reach.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 01, 2018, 22:29:05 »

AIUI (as I understand it), the view of the various regulatory bodies on 3rd rail is that you can only extend it for short stretches where you can very tightly control access to the tracks and there's no other option.

In other words, something like new sidings/depots is permissible, the underground extension to Battersea is fine and you could probably get away with well-fenced urban cutting/viaduct. But don't even think about new third rail through open country, with level crossings etc.     

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 02, 2018, 00:01:08 »

AIUI (as I understand it), the view of the various regulatory bodies on 3rd rail is that you can only extend it for short stretches where you can very tightly control access to the tracks and there's no other option.
In other words, something like new sidings/depots is permissible, the underground extension to Battersea is fine and you could probably get away with well-fenced urban cutting/viaduct. But don't even think about new third rail through open country, with level crossings etc.     

Yes, for safety reasons, significant expansion is effectively prohibited, and for financial reasons no one in the rail industry WANTS any significant expansion.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 02, 2018, 11:40:56 »

From different thread:
Testing the overhead for the first time between Newbury and Reading/Scours Lane

More IET (Intercity Express Train) overhead testing pencilled in for this coming Tuesday & Wednesday, with class 387 testing for the first time Wednesday & Thursday night
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 02, 2018, 12:17:47 »

Happy to have third rail up from Southampton area to Wiltshire and taking it to Bristol; I doubt the good folks of Bath would complain about it being unsightly.

Apart from the safety considerations, the additional cost of DC (Direct Current) power equipment (more substation and the need for rectifiers). Does the amount of traffic justfy electrification on this line? Surely there are higher priorities. It cannot even be justified as infill! Even west of Bathampton there would only be the Southampton Bristol services using it as the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s don't run on DC. Electrifying Bathampton to Bristol on 3rd Rail would be extremely short-sighted and a waste of money! 

New electrification should be 25kV OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE").

Yes, Probably dead in the water, Better to get Bath Electrified, which should be next year,The Government will have more money by not giving it to the EU» (European Union - about).  I Am lead to believe from information I have, is that Bath has part been started on and just needs finishing off by completing the Resignalling Then putting up the wires.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 12:27:46 by Dispatch Box » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: