Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:39:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 283344 times)
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: January 03, 2019, 12:09:10 »

Five years late?  More like two years late isn’t it?

Always thought it was about right time 2018 to complete to BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) And 2020 through to Swansea. This I was told back in 2010.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 03, 2019, 12:44:00 »

You'd think that stringing up knitting with 21st century technology could be a little more quickly expedited.

One would think so - but Brunel, of course, didn't have the marvels of 21st Century "management" to help him along ..........................

But he did have the navvies to help build the line, many hundreds of them, earning a penny a week or so.

Don't know if this is correct, but found out somewhere that it cost a million pounds to build, What would the bill be now, if Network Rail (NR» (Network Rail - home page)) relayed all the points and tracks, from Paddington to Bristol today, Lord knows.

With the amount of money spent on this Brexit thing, they could probably have afforded to have done just that, Gosh it would be lovely and smooth.

Just think, more blockades.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 17:18:10 by VickiS » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 03, 2019, 13:47:55 »

A million quid in 1830 is equivalent to around £110 million now, according to the Bank of England. Which might get you Filton Bank without the land cost today.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 03, 2019, 15:16:19 »

In among the comments in response to Network Rail's (NR» (Network Rail - home page))'s tweet about wires going live at Porkway, someone pointed out that this isn't the biggest change to the Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) since Brunel's day - that would be the change to narrow gauge in 1892...

The GWR's re-gauging seems quite impressive, until you learn that some 14,500km of railways in the former Confederate States of the USA were converted from 1524mm to 1448mm (Pennysylvania RR gauge, a bit wider than Stevenson's coal cart gauge but near enough) over a period of two days between 31 May 1886 and 1st June 1886.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 17:19:20 by VickiS » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 03, 2019, 15:41:40 »

https://youtu.be/N8Bf53r9ufk

20s intro so be patient.

Notice the 5+5 IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) with front and rear pans up.

OTC
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 03, 2019, 16:00:33 »

There's speculation elsewhere that the electric string might be slightly out-of-spec (too high) on that crossing which led to the 387 issue that happened yesterday. The pans do look very extended in that video.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 03, 2019, 16:08:55 »

I was at Thatcham Station a bit earlier, while a couple of 387's came and went.

An orange-suited gent from Network Rail (NR» (Network Rail - home page)) was on the platfrom and paying very close attention to the pan alignment with the wires as those trains arrived and departed.

Chat elsewhere is that the problems yesterday occured in the "Midgham and Thatcham areas", where there a 3 crossings in total (including Colthrop in the YT clip, which is between the other 2).

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 17:21:04 by VickiS » Logged
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 03, 2019, 16:35:24 »

In among the comments in response to NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s tweet about wires going live at Porkway, someone pointed out that this isn't the biggest change to the GWR (Great Western Railway) since Brunel's day - that would be the change to narrow gauge in 1892...

They did that over a weekend didn't they ?   Wink Wink
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 03, 2019, 16:47:19 »

In among the comments in response to NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s tweet about wires going live at Porkway, someone pointed out that this isn't the biggest change to the GWR (Great Western Railway) since Brunel's day - that would be the change to narrow gauge in 1892...

The GWR's re-gauging seems quite impressive, until you learn that some 14,500km of railways in the former Confederate States of the USA were converted from 1524mm to 1448mm (Pennysylvania RR gauge, a bit wider than Stevenson's coal cart gauge but near enough) over a period of two days between 31 May 1886 and 1st June 1886.
Perhaps not comparing like with like though. Reference was made earlier to the 'advances' of management since Brunel's day; presumably both Brunel's and the Confederate re-gauging time is just labour time, not including any planning time. In addition, there was presumably an abundant labour force in the former Confederate States that barely needed to be paid at all.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 03, 2019, 18:50:29 »

On BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) "Points West" tonight they ran a story about electric trains now being able to run from London to Bristol (well, Parkway anyway - near enough I suppose !). Then they had a Party Pooper on who said it was five years late. Somebody please remind me how long it took Brunel to build the actual railway in the first place ...................................

Five and a half years for a whole new railway from London to Bristol following the act of Parliament in 1835. Built with Georgian 'technology'.

You'd think that stringing up knitting with 21st century technology could be a little more quickly expedited.

Of course far easier to build a railway from scratch where you don't have to provide a train service to passengers, perhaps NR» (Network Rail - home page) should have shut the GWML (Great Western Main Line) down for 3 years done all the major civils, re-signalled, electrified, new track etc ………………. I'm sure the travelling public would not have minded in the least

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 03, 2019, 22:10:52 »

On BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) "Points West" tonight they ran a story about electric trains now being able to run from London to Bristol (well, Parkway anyway - near enough I suppose !). Then they had a Party Pooper on who said it was five years late. Somebody please remind me how long it took Brunel to build the actual railway in the first place ...................................

Five and a half years for a whole new railway from London to Bristol following the act of Parliament in 1835. Built with Georgian 'technology'.

Of course far easier to build a railway from scratch where you don't have to provide a train service to passengers, perhaps NR» (Network Rail - home page) should have shut the GWML (Great Western Main Line) down for 3 years done all the major civils, re-signalled, electrified, new track etc ……………….

But how late would they still have been Huh   Most of the delays appear not to have been caused by having to keep a service running whilst carrying up the upgrade, but by good old fashioned incompetence by all involved.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 03, 2019, 22:28:02 »

Of course far easier to build a railway from scratch where you don't have to provide a train service to passengers, perhaps NR» (Network Rail - home page) should have shut the GWML (Great Western Main Line) down for 3 years done all the major civils, re-signalled, electrified, new track etc ……………….

But how late would they still have been Huh   Most of the delays appear not to have been caused by having to keep a service running whilst carrying up the upgrade, but by good old fashioned incompetence by all involved.

You talk as if competence was unrelated to the difficulty of the task.

Not only did Brunel not have to contend with keeping traffic running, he did not have to alter existing bridges or worry about clearances for 50kV power lines, and even if he had none of them would have been listed. He did not have much to do much about signalling. He did not risk digging through unmarked cables - because there weren't any.  He certainly did not have to immunise the signalling against interference from electric traction.  Also in his time it was quite acceptable for a number of his workers to die in accidents during the work.

Not only that but IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) he went well over budget. 

In short Brunel was highly competent for his task in his time, I am not sure anyone could judge what he would have made of the present task. 
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 03, 2019, 22:59:13 »

That could be the case, but first narrow down who has been incompetent here. If I have read things rightly, one problem with the work has been not knowing the true nature of what was on the railway. Over the years that have passed since the job should have been done - about 3 decades by my reckoning - a lot has happened to the railway, with tracks replaced, removed, remodelled and slewed, cables for signalling, telephones, internet and other things laid and buried alongside them, and less than comprehensive records kept of what was where. Someone must have known that there was a strong likelihood of what Donald Rumsfeld called "known unknowns" lurking, ready to show themselves only when work commences?

Which begs another question. Had someone gone to DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and said "We've done the best job of surveying the route that we can without digging holes every few metres, but we reckon there will be big problems when we start the actual work, that could seriously inflate the cost", what would the response be? Probably to put the whole thing on hold yet again until at least the next election.  Better maybe to keep schtum in the hope that it won't be as bad as you expect, send lots of drawings of bridges and gantries, then filter the bad news slowly, after the work has gained too much momentum to stop easily. The intercity routes will all be electrified one day, and the longer it is stopped, started, stopped, started, the harder and more expensive the work will end up.

If it did happen this way, I hope whoever is responsible for putting a blind eye to the telescope gets a medal.

Edit: And I agree with ellendunne's view, posted while I was typing / brewing tea / etc.

Now, please!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 04, 2019, 10:23:16 »

Trouble with the Western area is it was BR (British Rail(ways)) WR policy (1950-1970) to bury S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) cables, not have them in troughs like all other regions..... Roll Eyes  However, fairly good records of what was where were kept.  Trouble was at privatisation Railtrack wasn't interested in saving any of it, and allowed it to be kept by the privatised infrastructure companies that it employed.  When these changed hands it wasn't RT policy to take back control of the records so a lot of them 'went in the bin'..... Tongue

Edit to add: How do I know that?  Well I have a large number of them here in my garage at home......
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:40:18 by SandTEngineer » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 04, 2019, 10:44:25 »

Thanks, S&T (Signalling and Telegraph), that rather confirms how I read the situation, although it seems I was 30 years out as to when it all started to go less than perfect. So it is not so much incompetence by those working to string the wires up as historic failures in record keeping. I hope that, with the aid of computers, the most detailed of records have been made of works done since the electrification work began. Maybe Filton Bank should have each individual piece of ballast numbered and logged by GPS co-ordinates - probably not, but as the railway there has been virtually rebuilt, I would expect that the course of every cable beside it has been charted.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: