Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Warminster
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:33:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[85] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[36] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[34] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[33] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 283582 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: March 18, 2019, 20:24:28 »

It looks like there's OHLE in Pyongyang.
https://www.seat61.com/NorthKorea.htm

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 19, 2019, 09:22:08 »

As I understand it these trains have a design life of 27.5 years. Would it be far-fetched to imagine that they will probably have a mid-life refit? If so, perhaps we can hope that this will involve some removal of diesel kit, to coincide with the extension of electrification.

That would give about 14 years to have the remaining electrification completed. Once upon a time I would have said that was no problem but now......

My thinking too, although I think the most likely outcome will be a mad panic in just under 27½ years' time. Years later, as the 40th anniversary of the first IETs (Intercity Express Train) approaches, plans will be announced to replace them. This will raise a storm of protest from the many passengers who love them greatly, especially for their comfy seats and visionary catering trolleys, and don't think the replacements, to be supplied under the only international trade we have signed since Brexit, will be much good. I mean, what does North Korea know about trains, eh?

We could always make new trains in the UK (United Kingdom) under a publicly owned system. Oh wait that would be a disaster wouldn't it.... HST (High Speed Train) was superior to Hitachi's efforts and that was made decades ago !
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 19, 2019, 12:39:34 »

We could always make new trains in the UK (United Kingdom) under a publicly owned system. Oh wait that would be a disaster wouldn't it.... HST (High Speed Train) was superior to Hitachi's efforts and that was made decades ago !

...as was, or rather wasn't, the APT (Advanced Passenger Train). It's not about who owns what, but how you write the spec.

Some would argue that the HST was a success because, for once, the engineers were just allowed to get on with it without too much expectation or interference.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 19, 2019, 15:52:07 »

As I understand it these trains have a design life of 27.5 years. Would it be far-fetched to imagine that they will probably have a mid-life refit? If so, perhaps we can hope that this will involve some removal of diesel kit, to coincide with the extension of electrification.

Yes to a mid-life refit.

Could all their routes be wired by 2030? ECML (East Coast Main Line) - yes (including Hull, Inverness, Middlesborough), Swansea - yes, Bristol - yes, Gloucester - yes, Cotswold - perhaps, Westbury - yes, beyond Westbury to Cornwall - wouldn't put money on it.

Will the wiring be so reliable that the diesel engines never get used? I wouldn't put money on it. 

So I reckon the engines end up staying, but be used less.

That said, it's interesting to see that the windy weather last week has resulted in a record proportion of the UK (United Kingdom)'s electricity being generated by (mainly offshore) wind, so you never know, we could end up in a situation where the electricity generators were prepared to pay for electrification in exchange for long-term forward-contracts. Even Grayling would presumably have little problem with electrification if someone else were paying for it.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 19, 2019, 16:19:29 »

Yes to a mid-life refit.

Could all their routes be wired by 2030? ECML (East Coast Main Line) - yes (including Hull, Inverness, Middlesborough), Swansea - yes, Bristol - yes, Gloucester - yes, Cotswold - perhaps, Westbury - yes, beyond Westbury to Cornwall - wouldn't put money on it.

The government have 'guaranteed' their use for 27.5 years as part of the contract with Hitachi.  That's different to their design life though, and a new contract could and probably will be drawn up as the current one expires.  Modern trains have a rough minimum of 30 years for diesel and 40 years for electric, but can be made to provide good service long after that if market conditions and safety regulations are favourable.  HSTs (High Speed Train), Class 150s, Class 313s are all good examples from various fleet types that will be running for a few years yet.

I can certainly see some 80x trains having engines removed at some point in their lives.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 19, 2019, 16:39:55 »

That would give about 14 years to have the remaining electrification completed. Once upon a time I would have said that was no problem but now......

My thinking too, although I think the most likely outcome will be a mad panic in just under 27½ years' time. Years later, as the 40th anniversary of the first IETs (Intercity Express Train) approaches, plans will be announced to replace them. This will raise a storm of protest from the many passengers who love them greatly, especially for their comfy seats and visionary catering trolleys, and don't think the replacements, to be supplied under the only international trade we have signed since Brexit, will be much good. I mean, what does North Korea know about trains, eh?

Bit of perspective need here ………………

40 years ago the Intercity 125 (HSDT (Original name for High Speed Train)) were not a resounding success, there were a catalogue of quite serious defects.
Engine Turbo Charger bearing failures leasing to oil leaks causing exhaust system fires
Engine coolant and lub system pipe work and ducting within the engine leaks
Engine main and conrod bearing failures.
Anti wheel slip not functioning causing tryer flats on coaches
Brake pad excessive wear
Brake disks fracturing leading to complete disk falling off of the wheel
Coach vent fan motor failing
Coach batteries over charging.

These are only the ones I was aware of when I was an apprentice working on them in the late 1970's
The HST's were only meant as a 10 stop gap on the Bristol and South Wales services as the Western Region was "planned" for electrification in the late 1980's with a max service life of 30 years and that included 1 major half life refit in the Works

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 19, 2019, 18:36:34 »

I do remember the brakes on HSTs (High Speed Train) being astonishingly stinky in the early days...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 19, 2019, 20:08:36 »

I do remember the brakes on HSTs (High Speed Train) being astonishingly stinky in the early days...

So was I...

Now, please!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 19, 2019, 20:49:58 »

Still are if the driver has to slam on the brakes. But yes very rare to experience that these days.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 20, 2019, 20:22:41 »

It looks like there's OHLE in Pyongyang.

Not always electricity, though...

Now, please!
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 20, 2019, 23:07:28 »

Hence fitting a FAD (fresh air damper) to the HVAC intake, now if that doesn’t work, then you get the smell of the brakes in the coach.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 20, 2019, 23:13:32 »

Quote from: Electric train link=topic=18592.msg260770#msg260770

40 years ago the Intercity 125 (HSDT (Original name for High Speed Train)) were not a resounding success, there were a catalogue of quite serious defects.

The list of faults was typical of most advanced engineering products of the time. Closer tolerance machining, better lubricants and their understanding, more disciplined manufacture and quality control, better electronics and control systems, IT etc etc have transformed our performance expectations.

The Mark 3/125 comparison is best with a hunting, cart sprung mark 1, with steam heating that froze in the cold and electrics from a 24V belt drive dynamo.

I sympathise with ET's experience as an apprentice but that's what makes him so valuable to the railway (and us all) now.

OTC
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 21, 2019, 17:19:29 »

Anyway, I caught a HST (High Speed Train) home from Exeter early this afternoon. It is highly unlikely that I shall take another train ride before next Thursday, after which I definitely won't before early May. Have I, like grahame, had my last ride on a full-size HST? If so, thanks and farewell!

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 21, 2019, 17:28:34 »

Won't be long before you'll be able to ride one again, at a sedate 25mi/hr from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth... might not be quite the same though.

Edit: Two typos!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 18:51:11 by Red Squirrel » Logged

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 21, 2019, 17:49:20 »

Won't be long before you'll be able to ride one again, at a sedate 25mi/hr from Kidderminster to Bridgenorth... might not be quite the same thought.

Like using Red Rum for kiddie rides on Blackpool sands.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: