I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:21:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 283446 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #810 on: April 29, 2019, 22:20:25 »

You did indeed:

I see that the residents of Goring have effectively lost their battle to get any changes to the electrification in the area.  Network Rail will plant a few trees instead (and probably chop them down in a few years to prevent too many leaves falling on the line).

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #811 on: April 30, 2019, 07:44:58 »

If Network Rail are that keen to mitigate an act of electrification vandalism, then they could always pledge £3.75 million towards the cost of Pilning Westgate...

You did indeed:

I see that the residents of Goring have effectively lost their battle to get any changes to the electrification in the area.  Network Rail will plant a few trees instead (and probably chop them down in a few years to prevent too many leaves falling on the line).

The 'news' to me was the scale of the local funding being invested at Goring when changes to the electrification equipment proved impractical.  Comparing, as Lee was, Goring and Pilning - which could both be considered as "Network Rail vandalism", I have to wonder at the criteria used to decide where to fund mitigation for what may be needed as part of the whole electrification plan, and how those criteria are applied evenly and openly by what is now a public body.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 30, 2019, 07:59:05 »

The formula for such funding appears to be based on the number and volume of moaners.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 30, 2019, 07:59:43 »

That was exactly my reason for posting the link.  I can think of several places that could have used that £3.5 Million to useful effect, and like Grahame I think that NR» (Network Rail - home page) may have just thrown a sum of money at the Goring residents to try and 'shut them up' (and yes, I know that NR has a duty of care as 'Good Neighbours').
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 30, 2019, 22:49:54 »

In defence of NR» (Network Rail - home page), if you read the article the money is largely (£3m out of £3.75m) to be spent in the wider area of the Chilterns and N Wessex Downs AONBs (Areas Of Natural Beauty) on landscape enhancement. That's quite a substantial area - anywhere from Luton to Devizes, Swindon to Basingstoke or Reading to Aylesbury. If it's like the biodiversity offsetting funds they are distributing, they will struggle to attract grant applications.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #815 on: May 29, 2019, 16:50:41 »

Oddly, on the return 9 car (stopping at Didcot) we went on to diesel for the Didcot restart before reverting to OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") after a few minutes and while in motion. 

That is to ensure that they did not have to slow down to get under the bridge at Steventon. AIUI (as I understand it) on the up journey you presumably did slow down as you were on the approach to Didcot. 

Are they still using diesel through or slowing down??

From the Oxford Mail

A BID to demolish a historic railway bridge in South Oxfordshire will now go to a public hearing.

The government's Planning Inspectorate has announced it will use the meeting to hear petitions from Network Rail over why it wants to knock down Steventon Road bridge as part of its electrification of the Great Western Mainline.

It will also hear submissions from residents who are trying to fight the demolition.

The date of the hearing has not yet been announced.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: May 29, 2019, 16:54:39 »

Diesel still.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 29, 2019, 20:55:38 »

Wires now up on all lines through Newport, except missing the contact wire on the down main across the river bridge and through platform 3.  Quite a productive weekend possession, it would seem.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 30, 2019, 08:25:18 »

I don’t think it’s been posted here, but the electrification ‘switch on’ between Parkway and Cardiff is planned for Christmas, so there will be a short period where the new December timetable (in whatever form it takes) will still be relying on IETs (Intercity Express Train) running in diesel mode. 

The difference in diesel and electric mode for that section will probably only amount to a couple of minutes though, so not critical, but will put a little extra pressure on delivering the timetable.

IETs will of course be still using diesel at Steventon, and presumably through the Severn Tunnel, for a while - possibly years - to come.  A good job the order was modified so the all-electric 801s aren’t on the books.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 30, 2019, 10:07:58 »

IETs (Intercity Express Train) will of course be still using diesel at Steventon, and presumably through the Severn Tunnel, for a while - possibly years - to come.  A good job the order was modified so the all-electric 801s aren’t on the books.

Others may say it's a pity the electrification wasn't done to plan, of course. We are seeing the benefits of the 801 diesel mode though. I can often ride on one from Devon, which was not the plan originally.

Now, please!
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 30, 2019, 13:01:40 »

There has been a suggestion in local reports that Network Rail may find a revised speed of 110mph in electric mode acceptable for an IET (Intercity Express Train) through Steventon based on new modelling, which could obviate the need to replace the bridge with only a small speed penalty.
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #821 on: July 30, 2019, 16:48:42 »

There has been a suggestion in local reports that Network Rail may find a revised speed of 110mph in electric mode acceptable for an IET (Intercity Express Train) through Steventon based on new modelling, which could obviate the need to replace the bridge with only a small speed penalty.

Indeed. From the Steventon Parish Council Monthly News: http://www.steventon.info/paramonthly.html

Network Rail representatives presented an update on Steventon Grade II listed Railway Bridge during Public Participation. They explained that they are currently using new modelling techniques to establish maximum train speeds through Steventon without need to demolish and replace the Railway Bridge.

The Class 800 Intercity Express Train (IET) electro-diesel hybrid train (bi-mode) currently running through Steventon are predicted to be capable of running at 110mph in electric mode that is deemed acceptable to Network Rail.

They are awaiting results for predicted speeds for the Class 387, solely electric trains, they intend to use in order to deliver the London to Cardiff service. A speed in excess of 95mph through Steventon will be deemed acceptable.

Network Rail at the meeting stated that there is an 80% probability that the bridge will not need to be demolished. We await the results of the modelling with some optimism.

One of the GWR (Great Western Railway) insiders who appears to be closely associated with IETs and other traction has posted on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) that they expect to be able to run through Steventon on electric at 110mph from September. Back in June I was at Didcot early one morning waiting for the 7:29 to London when I saw 2 x 5-car 1B05 Padd-Swansea come through the station at linespeed on the down main with both pantographs raised (they would normally have been lowered at South Moreton). I did wonder if this was a changeover malfunction or driver error and they would be lowered before Steventon but was told subsequently that this was actually a test.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 09, 2019, 15:47:27 »

A little treat for all you cab video lovers (I know you're out there!), or just those that like to see what changes are made when a route is modernised.

Here is a before-and-after comparison I've done of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification scheme between Reading and Didcot Parkway showing the vast amount of work done over a nine year period to a live railway line.  It's in a similar style to my Cotswold Line redoubling ones from seven years ago (was it really that long ago!).

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7fk4ne

I'll hopefully add Paddington to Reading when everything is finished there - where although the electrification has been completed there are numerous platform extensions and station rebuilds ongoing for Crossrail.

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 09, 2019, 16:17:57 »

A pity the  electrified blue bridge over the M4 just east of  Bristol Parkway station, has been disfigured by an extremely offensive reference to Boris Johnson,that would cause great embarrassment to families in cars travelling westwards. I have ho time for the man, but he doen't deserve that!.I have asked Network Rail to clean it off as a matter of urgency.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 09, 2019, 17:06:42 »

May I ask if the 2019 video was IET (Intercity Express Train) or HST (High Speed Train)?

Neither.   Wink  It was a Turbo, to match the 2010 one.  One of the few that still operate on a daily basis.

That meant the acceleration and braking were very similar meaning I didn't have to do as much artificial slowing down or speeding up so that the clips match as closely as possible.  Even then, a signal check near Didcot means the 2010 video runs a little 'funny' from Moreton onwards to try and match everything up.  It was recorded in 50 frames per second to try and minimise any juddering.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: