Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 01:36:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 285234 times)
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #975 on: April 29, 2020, 10:20:10 »

Quick question, are the Steventon crossings the first at grade crossings on the GW (Great Western) main line going west from London? I have an old map with a footpath crossing at Basildon, just before Gatehampton Bridge but that had disappeared by the 60's from maps. 

Here is a footpath crossing on the LTSR at Cranham, Upminster which when the trains are non-stopping Upminster is very fast. The footpath emerges from trees both sides of the tracks.

footpath cranham by Robert, on Flickr
Footpath 193 crossing the LTSR just east of Cranham Upminster. by Robert, on Flickr

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 29, 2020, 11:37:10 »

Wouldn't the driving technique be to shut off power and coast, a distance before the start of the high contact wire gradient and merely maintain 110mph through the c30ch restriction?

That would be down the the driver given the DAS (Driver Advisory System) (Driver Advisory System) on IET (Intercity Express Train)'s has yet to be switched on for some reason.  Some might, though it'd take several miles to get down from 125mph to 110mph, especially in the up direction with the gently falling gradient.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 29, 2020, 12:34:48 »

I'm not sure what defines a "grade crossing" - presumably it's a right-of-way or private track crossing a railway line at the same level. I can't think of any on the Paddington-Reading-Didcot line, except the one already mentioned at Calcot.

But there's a footpath across the line west of the aggregate (?) depot at Theale, a private access track west of Midgham Station (where I think there was an "incident" a few years ago) and a footpath on the outskirts of Great Bedwyn, crossing the line past the buffer stops of the recently-elongated siding.

Back in 2009 Ruby Wax's sister was killed on a foot crossing "at" Little Bedwyn, which I can't identify from the map but is perhaps a half-mile to the north. Certainly I've walked along the canal towing path and cautiously opened side-gates to cross the line in this locality.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 29, 2020, 13:14:30 »

I'm not sure what defines a "grade crossing" - presumably it's a right-of-way or private track crossing a railway line at the same level. I can't think of any on the Paddington-Reading-Didcot line, except the one already mentioned at Calcot.

An 'at Grade Crossing' is one that crosses the line at rail level.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 29, 2020, 13:35:08 »

except the one already mentioned at Calcot

Calcot is on the Berks & Hants, not the Reading Didcot, Marlburian.

There used to be a few more I think through Berkshire on this line, I think, certainly one at Thatcham linking the Nature Discovery Centre with the lakes south of the railway.

Getting back to the Upminster one, there is currently a protracted process trying to close a large number of pedestrian and private crossings in East Anglia. There has been a lot of opposition from various parish councils, footpath user groups and farmers, so it has all taken much longer than anticipated. The Essex ones were the subject of a lengthy public enquiry last year.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 30, 2020, 07:23:42 »

From a 2017 version of the Network Rail level crossings file

Going west from Didcot:
   Stocks Lane
   Wantage Road
   Grove
   Denchworth

Going north from Didcot:
   Appleford
   Nuneham

Going west from Reading West:
   Calcot Mill
   Wigmore Lane
   Towney

Going south from Reading West:
   Grazeley Green
   Danes
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 30, 2020, 07:55:14 »

certainly one at Thatcham linking the Nature Discovery Centre with the lakes south of the railway.

That one is still there, it was upgraded a bit (new path across the tracks) during electrification.

Wigmore Lane

Is the one that Marlburian mentioned west of the Theale aggregate depot.

Towney

Pretty sure this is now closed since electrification. Big padlocked metal gates last time I was there.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 30, 2020, 12:05:04 »

From a 2017 version of the Network Rail level crossings file

That looks out of date even then, and has some non-railway names in it. From the 2018 Sectional Appendix (so not that new itself):

Going west from Didcot:
   Stocks Lane
                               - Causeway, of course
   Wantage Road
                               - Butterfly Lane
   Grove               - yes
   Denchworth       - no mention, even back to 2012!

Going north from Didcot:
   Appleford          - now closed still there
   Nuneham          - no sign, even back to 2012!
                              - the first is at Manor Farm, north of Radley

Going west from Reading West:
   Calcot Mill         - not marked at all, though something obviously exists there
   Wigmore Lane    - all that's shown is Drake's No 2 just before Theale
   Towney            - yes

Going south from Reading West:   - on Wessex route (and 75 mph)
   Grazeley Green
   Danes

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 12:30:15 by stuving » Logged
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 30, 2020, 12:21:59 »

Calcot Mill is definitely there, I used it this morning.
Nuneham was there at the beginning of the year as trains still sound a horn for it.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 30, 2020, 12:44:26 »

Calcot Mill is definitely there, I used it this morning.
Nuneham was there at the beginning of the year as trains still sound a horn for it.

Both of those happen to fall* at the boundary of two pages of the maps in the Sectional Appendix. I wonder if they just get left out when that happens - not important enough to be worth the space they'd take up.

* I'm guessing where the Nuneham one would be - not at Nuneham, obviously, but probably close to its viaduct.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 15:03:36 by stuving » Logged
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 30, 2020, 13:47:21 »

January 2020 data can be found at https://www.networkrail.co.uk/communities/safety-in-the-community/level-crossing-safety/
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 30, 2020, 13:48:14 »

* I'm guessing where the Nuneham one would be - not at Nuneham, obviously, but probabkly close to its viaduct.

It's between Culham Station and the bridge over the Thames to the North, Nuneham Viaduct. It's rather pointless as it is about 200 yards from a brick overbridge. I have used it though sometime in the past ten years.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 30, 2020, 16:18:48 »

That - especially the spreadsheet - does look like a complete listing. In which case the Sectional Appendix clearly isn't to be regarded as definitive for level crossings. However, while including them may be optional, I guess showing ones that don't exist will be a mistake of some kind.

Denchworth does appear to have been replaced by a footbridge a couple of years ago - at least, there's some such object there now. I can't find any news of that, and it seems a rather costly option as it's less than 300m from Circourt Road bridge.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 16:18:10 by stuving » Logged
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 01, 2020, 16:15:25 »

I just found an Ordnance Survey map dated 1978 showing a public footpath crossing the line at Lower Basildon between the road bridge by the church and Gatehampton Bridge crossing the Thames. Whether the path crossed the line still, or the paths leading up to it were still dead end rights of way I'm not sure.

This map also shows a siding on the northern (eastern here) side of the line just before the bridge on the Berkshire side.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 11, 2020, 09:22:37 »

We seem to have missed this (well I have, anyway):

UK (United Kingdom) first: Patchway gap on Great Western (between Patchway Short Tunnel & Patchway Old Tunnel) has just been wired with tensionless conductor bar as part of the electrification programme. Due to the size of gap (160m) it would have been difficult to wire in a tensioned system

Other photographs here: https://mobile.twitter.com/25kv/status/1114928419383463937?lang=en
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:35:38 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: