No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
20:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 22:20:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 285937 times)
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: June 06, 2020, 15:46:45 »

The timetable of the late 70s didn't last too long into the 1980s.  By 1986 there were no Paddington to Cardiff non-stop services, and only two Paddington to Bristol Parkway non-stop services.  Was it unreliable?  Were extra stops inserted because that made more money?
I don't think there were ever any services missing Newport (except perhaps the Fishguard service). From what I recall there was a two hourly pattern of three trains. Where two trains ran the fast was non stop between Newport and Paddington. So the headline 1 hr 45 min time was obtained every other hour during the day. It was certainly better than one peak service only delivering the headline figure, which often seems to be the case these days.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: June 06, 2020, 15:52:54 »

Yes, my apologies.  The way Table 127 (as it was then) is laid out led me to miss the Newport stop.  Original post amended.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: June 06, 2020, 20:02:58 »

Obviously those are best times, which might or might not be representative of typical times. But if we compare them with the "superfasts" today and see in effect no change (Cardiff 3 minutes slower now, Bristol 3 minutes faster, etc) despite advances in traction technology, why? Is it that the main limit on journey time is actually the track and its speed limits? Or are today's theoretically faster trains making more stops? Or being held up more by the more frequent other services? Or is there greater "buffer time" (I've forgotten the term, sorry) built into the timetables today to allow for making up time after delays? Or something else/

A little mix of all of that to be honest:

* All the Cardiff services now stop at Bristol Parkway.  All the Bristol TM(resolve) services now stop at Chippenham.
* Trains are now driven differently to try and reduce operational incidents, and ATP (Automatic Train Protection) and TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) further reduce speeds trains are driven at.  No more 130+ mph.  Much less hard braking into stations.
* The network is far busier - witness the performance statistics of the last two months - quite a lot of pathing allowance is allowed on the new SuperFasts because they catch up with other trains.
* The HST (High Speed Train) was a 125mph train and the IETs (Intercity Express Train) are currently limited to 125mph.
* The timetable of the late 70s didn't last too long into the 1980s.  By 1986 there were no Paddington to Cardiff non-stop services, and only two Paddington to Bristol Parkway non-stop services.  Was it unreliable?  Were extra stops inserted because that made more money?
Thanks. Regarding the point I've bolded, I'm aware that speed limits were fairly laxly enforced back then and that the HST was in practice capable of exceeding 125mph* but surely a timetable wouldn't have taken this into account?

*Doesn't one still hold the world speed record for a diesel loco, something in excess of 140mph?
Edit: Just looked it up: 148mph.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: June 06, 2020, 22:16:00 »

No it wouldn’t have been to be fair.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: June 07, 2020, 16:08:54 »

It's between Culham Station and the bridge over the Thames to the North, Nuneham Viaduct. It's rather pointless as it is about 200 yards from a brick overbridge. I have used it though sometime in the past ten years.

Yes, it really should be a nailed on closure priority for NR» (Network Rail - home page):

* It has a quite steep slope either side down to track level.
* It is on the crest of a gradient on curving track offering poor sighting of trains either way.
* It's not very well used at all.
* There has been at least one fatality there in recent years.
* There is a perfectly good short diversion adding only 400 metres (via the Thame Lane overbridge you mention).

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: June 07, 2020, 21:45:14 »

It does not take all the pumps to fail for the tunnel to start to ne inundated.

I can well imagine....

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 08, 2020, 07:01:03 »

It does not take all the pumps to fail for the tunnel to start to ne inundated.

I can well imagine....

I've seen "The Great Spring" that photo is a maar dribble in comparison.

There are two pumping systems, The Great Spring, which is the largest system and used to supply water to a paper mill, brewery and local houses, this ceased when the water quality regs can in force.
The other system is track drainage

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 12, 2020, 09:25:46 »

Low bridges, what low bridges?........ https://www.railwaygazette.com/freight/indian-railways-starts-double-stack-electric-operation/56733.article
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 10:05:08 by SandTEngineer » Logged
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 12, 2020, 09:56:17 »

Even the portals look good, with the masts not projecting upwards randomly  and correct latticed (or trussed) beams - good for strength/weight, probably hot dip galvanised too. 7450mm contact wire height! Even ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) would be content.

Perhaps we should have asked India's Central Organisation for Railway Electrification for a quote.

Jai Hind,

OTC
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 12, 2020, 10:29:15 »

That is impressive.

Note the randoms standing on the track though, very Indian. I'm going for idli-sambar, you hungry?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 12, 2020, 10:33:53 »

Double deck trains ? I guess the days of sitting on the roof are gone then. Electric wires and an impossible / difficult climb to the top may be a deterrent.  Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 12, 2020, 11:15:48 »

It is a commendable step in a vast country, and shows what can be done with a bit of thought and money. Electrical standards in India have improved markedly since I was there last year.

That will probably cost me a statue.

Now, please!
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 12, 2020, 11:57:34 »

For some reason the name of the biopic for Douglas Bader (Reach for the Sky) came to mind when looking at those extended pantographs  Grin
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 12, 2020, 13:45:03 »

It is a commendable step in a vast country, and shows what can be done with a bit of thought and money. Electrical standards in India have improved markedly since I was there last year.

You obviously didn't look at the PDF linked to at the bottom of the article Tongue
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 12, 2020, 14:34:12 »

I seem to recall US operators resisting electrification as it would prevent double-stack container operation. Looks like that excuse has gone.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: