Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:55:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Carmarthen to London  (Read 20585 times)
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2017, 16:22:28 »

I'm in the process of buying somewhere in West Wales hopefully with the aim of working remotely a couple of days a week and staying in South East England the rest of the time. I'm current in the Thames valley so don't have a very positive view of GWR (Great Western Railway) services but was wondering if the Carmarthen service was more reliable? There seems to be an early morning train (about 06.30ish) that would work for my commute to London but is it crowded? Does it run most days?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 19:23:04 »

www.recenttraintimes.co.uk will give you performance data for a specific train and is a very useful tool.  Other sites also have similar data.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 20:04:35 »

The through train leaves at 0730 and arrives at 1131, so that might be a bit late for you.  Good value advance tickets as low as £23 appear to be available though.

Out of interest the through service in the evening (1715) shows as being valid off peak for Carmarthen (£65.50 single) but not to Swansea (£128 single).
So in the evening peak you can get a single to Carmarthen for £1 more than a single to Swindon. 
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 20:57:27 »

There are a few evening journeys out of Paddington with pricing like that.

Exeter St Davids and Newton Abbot on the 18:03 for one.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 22:23:01 »

The trains from Carmarthen are, sadly, very slow if travelling anywhere east of Swansea. There is also only one GWR (Great Western Railway) service each way Monday to Friday (3 on Sundays, Saturdays vary depending on the time of year); everything else is Arriva Trains Wales and formed of 3 coaches or less. That's not normally a problem eastbound (because bording in S.W. Wales means you get on the train first) but coming back seats can be hard to come by between Cardiff and Swansea. I was an hour and 25 minutes later than planned into Whitland yesterday because I took one look at the 13:39 service I had planned to catch out of Cardiff and decided I wouldn't be able to find a seat due to the number of pepole already boarding. Instead I waited for the following GWR service to Swansea and changed there; I could have got to Carmarthen a bit sooner but not Whitland.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 22:58:24 »

I am actually a bit further West of Carmarthen but looking at the 'local' services it didn't seem worth catching them to somewhere like Cardiff or Swansea and the GWR (Great Western Railway) to London looked a better bet. Useful to have that confirmed. I can cope with getting in at 11.30 - would see me at my desk by 12 and in no rush to go anywhere till heading back west a couple of days later.

£23 pounds also seems reasonable if I can get organised enough to buy advance singles well in advance.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 23:32:14 »

I used to do Bridgend to Paddington weekly and gave up a couple of years ago due to increasing cost, general unpleasantness of other rail users on the services I utilised and poor reliability of both the mainline trains and the Metropolitan Line that I used to get from/to Paddington. Getting to/from Bridgend station from my home was also an expensive taxi ride that I no longer have to pay/endure (I do not like small talk in taxis or the appalling standards of driving!).

Predictably, I now shuttle up and down the M4 by car each week, which is quicker, cheaper, less stressful and (touch wood) less prone to delays if timed right (I typically travel in the late evening).

My office location is on the westernmost boundary of London, close to the M4, so travelling by road is a sensible option for me. I would definitely consider this option if your office location is favourable, at least until the new trains & timetable are well established.

Sorry not to be more positive about rail services on a forum such as this, but this is a truthful representation of my experiences!  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 01:50:14 »

I am actually a bit further West of Carmarthen but looking at the 'local' services it didn't seem worth catching them to somewhere like Cardiff or Swansea and the GWR (Great Western Railway) to London looked a better bet. Useful to have that confirmed. I can cope with getting in at 11.30 - would see me at my desk by 12 and in no rush to go anywhere till heading back west a couple of days later.

£23 pounds also seems reasonable if I can get organised enough to buy advance singles well in advance.

That's the "Red Dragon".  I took that train (Swansea to Swindon) on Wednesday morning.  Plenty of local traffic into Swansea, but I suspect still plant of space too - good flow not flood coming offf when it arrived.  Plenty of space on board as far as Swindon too - clue in an announcement at Cardiff that "Super off Peak tickets are not valid on this train".   Good opportunity for me to work as I travelled (lots of emailing done).   Noticeable crowds joined at Swindon - take a look and see if you can work out how busy that might be away from the summer period, and give some thought to how it might be on Mondays ... I would suspect that it's busier on Mondays, but less will be joining it at Swindon come the autumn.  A bit academic as you should get a good seat joining it at the start or at Swansea.

Will that train become 5 or 9 carriages when the 125 becomes an 80x?

Interesting display board at Swansea - "First class accommodation will be at the front of the train".   Had to ask if that was going to be at the front on arrival, or the front on departure.  Saying it will be at the front at a station in reverses in mid-service needs clarification!    For the avoidance of doubt - wanted to know which end so I could wait at the other end.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 09:10:52 »

Interesting display board at Swansea - "First class accommodation will be at the front of the train".   Had to ask if that was going to be at the front on arrival, or the front on departure.  Saying it will be at the front at a station in reverses in mid-service needs clarification!    For the avoidance of doubt - wanted to know which end so I could wait at the other end.

Surely if a station only has one end, and a sign on the station is understood as for those joining it (far fewer wait for alighters), the front is the end trains leave at? At Reading the signs often tell you "front train only" when platform 5 has two in it, and that sounds sensible enough. The fact you are coming from behind the buffers there probably enhances the frontness of the other end.

It's reversals in a through platform that cause the ambiguity, and a train that's already there when you arrive and sets off in a surprising direction is even worse. To add one more factor, if your platform is announced and you find your train (which starts from there) is in two coupled parts which all say the front is for X and the back is for Y, but its direction when leaving is unknown and not what you'd think (it happens to be east while the destinations are all to the west) ...
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 13:23:20 »

.. even if you think you know.  For example, at Birmingham New Street XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) trains to Cheltenham (first stop) and beyond can leave in either direction, depending on whether they are routed via Camp Hill or Selly Oak.  There must be other examples of where one TOC (Train Operating Company) operates trains directly from A to B (ie no intermediate stops) and departure from A can be in either direction, but I can’t think of any at the moment.

I realise that this observation is of limited value to the OP (Original Poster / topic starter).

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 14:06:18 »

There must be other examples of where one TOC (Train Operating Company) operates trains directly from A to B (ie no intermediate stops) and departure from A can be in either direction, but I can’t think of any at the moment.

Not without stops ... but at least once during the day, two trains leave Motherwell final destination Glasgow Central at the same scheduled time and in different directions.

I believe that Trent to Derby used to leave either way.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 21:17:02 »

That's the "Red Dragon".  I took that train (Swansea to Swindon) on Wednesday morning.  Plenty of local traffic into Swansea, but I suspect still plant of space too - good flow not flood coming offf when it arrived.  Plenty of space on board as far as Swindon too - clue in an announcement at Cardiff that "Super off Peak tickets are not valid on this train".   Good opportunity for me to work as I travelled (lots of emailing done).   Noticeable crowds joined at Swindon - take a look and see if you can work out how busy that might be away from the summer period, and give some thought to how it might be on Mondays ... I would suspect that it's busier on Mondays, but less will be joining it at Swindon come the autumn.  A bit academic as you should get a good seat joining it at the start or at Swansea.
Weekdays it is 'The Red Dragon', but the weekend services (other than the summer-only 'The Pembroke Coast Express') aren't for some reason. The weekend services to Paddington are also not such an early start; the Carmarthen to Paddington on Saturdays for example is 09:30 vice 07:30 on weekdays.

Will that train become 5 or 9 carriages when the 125 becomes an 80x?
Remember that, when the trains were ordered, the 9-car sets for the Great Western were all to be class 801 units (insufficient diesel power for running in normal service); so the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) at least were thinking 5-car for Carmarthen services (and other off-wire destinations).

The draft weekday diagrams that went with the order show that the eastbound service, as well as being reduced to five coaches throughout, might be retimed to depart Carmarthen at 06:23 instead of 07:30. They also show that the westbound train, 17:40 off Paddington in the draft IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) timetable, would break one of my rules for treating passengers nicely as it would divide on-route (10-car to Swansea, 5-car onwards). That rule, for those who haven't seen it before, is that a passenger boarding any part of a train should be able to alight at any advertised stop subsequent to the one they boarded at without having to leave the train to change coaches on-route.

At Derby in the past week I noticed that the annoucements for some XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services said that first class would be in the front of the train as it arrives in the station, this will be at the rear of the train when it departs. I guess Swansea might not have this as generally the Great Western services are originating at Swansea (and ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) services through Swansea don't have first class).

I used to do Bridgend to Paddington weekly and gave up a couple of years ago due to increasing cost, general unpleasantness of other rail users on the services I utilised and poor reliability of both the mainline trains and the Metropolitan Line that I used to get from/to Paddington. Getting to/from Bridgend station from my home was also an expensive taxi ride that I no longer have to pay/endure (I do not like small talk in taxis or the appalling standards of driving!).

Predictably, I now shuttle up and down the M4 by car each week, which is quicker, cheaper, less stressful and (touch wood) less prone to delays if timed right (I typically travel in the late evening).

My office location is on the westernmost boundary of London, close to the M4, so travelling by road is a sensible option for me. I would definitely consider this option if your office location is favourable, at least until the new trains & timetable are well established.

Sorry not to be more positive about rail services on a forum such as this, but this is a truthful representation of my experiences!  Smiley
Since you're giving unfortunate suggestions of this nature, I'll just point out that when certain members of my family go to watch rugby in Cardiff they drive to Port Talbot Parkway and try to get a GWR service into Cardiff. My father occasionally goes on business trips to London and when he does this he also drives to Port Talbot Parkway to board a GWR train. I'm not sure how much of that is down to the lower frequencies of trains west of Swansea and how much is down to the journey time which between Carmarthen and Port Talbot is sadly much slower than driving. When I've tried to pursuade my mother to use a station further west for the rugby the response is normally that it is hard to get back in the evening; something which the frequency and journey time certainly don't help with.

Port Talbot Parkway has been referred to as an important gateway station for Pembrokeshire by one of the county's MPs (Member of Parliament), so it isn't just my parents that use it in preference to Pembrokeshire stations. That is something I want to see change, but what sort of service do we need out in south-west Wales to get pepole to use their local station?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 21:24:48 by Rhydgaled » Logged

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 00:33:52 »

That rule, for those who haven't seen it before, is that a passenger boarding any part of a train should be able to alight at any advertised stop subsequent to the one they boarded at without having to leave the train to change coaches on-route.

Out of curiosity, whose rule is that? As it is one that is already broken on many many journeys existing today.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 09:21:32 »

This mornings Carmarthen to Paddington service cancelled.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 09:23:04 »

This mornings Carmarthen to Paddington service cancelled.

Blocked by broken down freight at Ferryside
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: