Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 20:32:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[234] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[56] access for all at Devon stations report
[53] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[36] Cornish delays
[34] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[19] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Train derailment at Paddington - 20 Aug 17  (Read 12768 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 09:59:42 »

The guy on the platform with the backpack wearing the blue safety helmet doesn't look to me if he is wearing safety boots.
Network Rail photographer?

UN observer?
Do you mean someone unobservant? (Like 'cos he's looking down at some gadget?)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 11:07:48 »

I wonder if it was the guard who pulled the communition chord to stop the train?  Otherwise the driver might not have realised anything was wrong and there would be no quick way of informing them.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 11:19:49 »

I strongly suspect the TM(resolve), or both TM and dispatcher, quickly did the necessary procedure to stop the train. TM would normally be window hanging at rear most carriage door on departure, right next to the errant power car.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 11:26:21 »

Indeed I expect you're right.  In the case of a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) or DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) operated service that might well not be so easy to do.  An example where having a guard on the train provides an additional level of safety?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 12:31:14 »

The guy on the platform with the backpack wearing the blue safety helmet doesn't look to me if he is wearing safety boots.

UN observer?

Pigeon welfare officer ? (prevention of sudden death by explosion dept.)

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 13:45:59 »

UN observer?

Blue hard hat normally indicates someone who does not hold Personal Track Safety (PTS (Personal Track Safety)) or is still under observation.   The other cardinal sin is the rucksack obscuring the HiVi.

I wonder if it was the guard who pulled the communition chord to stop the train?  Otherwise the driver might not have realised anything was wrong and there would be no quick way of informing them.

The Drive would also be aware something was not right but I expect it was the Guard / Train Manager who stopped the train.
Pigeon welfare officer ? (prevention of sudden death by explosion dept.)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 14:05:28 »

I doubt that either Hi Viz or safety boots are required if the person pictured remains on the platform.
AFAIK (as far as I know) platform 1 remains open and most of the passengers wont be wearing PPE.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 15:01:50 »

The Drive would also be aware something was not right but I expect it was the Guard / Train Manager who stopped the train.

Quite possibly, but not guaranteed as if one bogie is off but upright and both power cars are powering up the difference in acceleration would be minimal, the driver would probably feel the train snatch a little bit, but that's not uncommon when departing with a HST (High Speed Train).   Obviously if the brake pipe was broken then an emergency brake application would be made, but the train could have potentially travelled quite a bit further before being stopped.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 15:40:45 »

You can buy a sensor that detects a derailment, and applies the brakes, from Knorr-Bremse (the EDT101 derailment detector). It's clearly aimed at the American market, with its huge length of track that's very rough (by our standards) but still used for freight.

And Micro-Epsilon say they are making bogie-mounted sensors for high-speed trains (in Saudi Arabia) to monitor ride quality so as to prevent derailment (by prompting inspection or maintenance). They even claim it's compulsory in the EU» (European Union - about) for high-speed trains, though I can find no evidence this is true.

I'm sure such a sensor (basically an accelerometer) could reliably detect an actual derailment, even at very low speed, if you wanted it to. However, it isn't one of the numerous infrastructure-monitoring features required of IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.).
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 16:48:53 »

Indeed I expect you're right.  In the case of a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) or DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) operated service that might well not be so easy to do.  An example where having a guard on the train provides an additional level of safety?
What is DCO?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 16:53:54 »

Driver Controlled Operation.  That, along with DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) means the driver is solely responsible for despatch.  Most people refer to DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) when there is guaranteed to be a second member of staff on the train (who plays no role in despatch), and DOO when there is not, though the two terms are sometimes used to mean the same thing.

chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 17:02:50 »

You can buy a sensor that detects a derailment, and applies the brakes, from Knorr-Bremse (the EDT101 derailment detector). It's clearly aimed at the American market, with its huge length of track that's very rough (by our standards) but still used for freight.

I'm sure it has something to do with the length of the trains (currently up to 4200m in Canada) and the motive power available to the driver/engineer ad the fact there are often remotely operated locomotives distributed throughout the train. These factors would make it nigh on impossible to detect a bogie off from the front of the train until a potentially huge amount of damage had occurred, unless you had some sensors assisting.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 18:02:54 »

Not the first derailment of this type in the platforms.  Probably caused by road-spread.  Look at the number of tie-bars holding the rails to gauge Roll Eyes Tongue

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), the rails here are laid, not too long ago, on longitudinal sleepers, Brunel style, hence the tie-bars, with a brick lined sump in-between, now with plastic sheeting. The other type of Sleeper also visits these platform roads, dropping lots of unmentionable solids and fluids. Even vacuum treated timbers might succumb early to this horrid brew.

I feel sorry for the re-railing orange jobs having to work (and lie down) amongst the brown jobs. All credit to them.

OTC
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 18:25:54 »

The Night Rivera sleeper has retention toilets.  It's the HSTs (High Speed Train) which are the problem. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 19:54:41 by bobm » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 22:22:19 »

Driver Controlled Operation.  That, along with DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) means the driver is solely responsible for despatch.  Most people refer to DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) when there is guaranteed to be a second member of staff on the train (who plays no role in despatch), and DOO when there is not, though the two terms are sometimes used to mean the same thing.
Thanks. I was aware of DOO but not DCO.

Admin: Perhaps these terms could be added to the Acronyms list?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: