Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:23:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Says The Choice Is More Melksham Services Or Less Crowded Bristol Services  (Read 5410 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:30:55 »

Wiltshire Times article link.
http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/latestheadlines/display.var.2068739.0.rail_chiefs_pledge_on_melksham_service.php

Quote from: FGW (First Great Western) (First Great Western)
"It is a difficult balancing act between on the one hand obtaining and paying for additional resources, and on the other deciding how best those resources should be used.

"Should an extra carriage if it becomes available be used to provide more services for Melksham, or to ease crowding on peak time services in and out of Bristol?

"We have already devoted a lot of time to looking at options for Melksham and will continue to do so. We have certainly not reached a conclusion that other priorities are more important."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:37:31 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:04:28 »

It's not as black and white as just serving Melksham, there's also the many who commute from Westbury/Trowbridge to Chippenham/Swindon, and London.

Not to mention the services will help relieve the overcrowding on the Westbury-Salisburt route, providing more oppertunities from Bath and Bristol. Not only this but Frome will benefit as Dilton Marsh will be served by these trains so Great Malvern/Gloucester services can terminate at Frome instead.

On the lighter side though, the article looks much more promising than the last one Smiley
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 10:07:06 »

It's not as black and white as just serving Melksham, there's also the many who commute from Westbury/Trowbridge to Chippenham/Swindon, and London.

Not to mention the services will help relieve the overcrowding on the Westbury-Salisburt route, providing more oppertunities from Bath and Bristol. Not only this but Frome will benefit as Dilton Marsh will be served by these trains so Great Malvern/Gloucester services can terminate at Frome instead.

Yes, I also noticed that FGW (First Great Western) seem to be suggesting that improved services would only benefit Melksham.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:11:30 »

My reply to the Wiltshire Times, who have asked me for input:

The groups campaigning for an improved service from West Wiltshire to Swindon, which would include a decent service for Melksham, very much appreciate all the work the First Great Western are putting in to help achieve this.

There is regular overcrowding in many places, including from Trowbridge to Bath on which  most regular rush hour travellers have been turned away from overfull trains. Some of that overcrowding is caused by travellers from Frome, Warminster, Westbury and Trowbridge to Swindon who (at present) have to change in Bath.  A direct morning train from the West Wiltshire towns of Warminster, Westbury, Trowbridge and Melksham arriving into Swindon at about a quarter to 9, and a return service leaving Swindon shortly before 6 p.m. would reduce the numbers of people turned away from the West Wilts to Bristol services AND would improve travel to / from Swindon.  We should remember that some 120,000 journeys a year were made on the line from West Wilsthire to Swindon prior to the service cuts made by First in December 2006 - but the current service which First admit is "hardly an attractive proposition" is used (my estimate) for less that 10,000 journeys a year. That gives you some measure of the overcrowding that would be pulled off surrounding train services, and roads such as the A350, by a more appropriate service.

In rail company terms, the stock allocation for a carriage to run on the line is relatively minor.  According to published industry figures, First Great Western run 776 carriages and we're talking about ONE.  So First's comment that they have other priorities too is appreciated.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:20:42 »

Yes, I also noticed that FGW (First Great Western) seem to be suggesting that improved services would only benefit Melksham.

Yes - it does rather seem as is First Great Western are trying to play off the town of Melksham specifically against the other calls for service improvements - when in practise a sensible TransWilts timetable would be a huge benefit for journeys from Trowbridge to Swindon, from Salisbury to Chippenham, would cut overcrowding (where people are turned away at times) from Bath to Bradford-on-Avon and Westbury ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 15:52:28 »

The printed article in the paper (29th Feb) varies somewhat from the online versions - have a look here to see the changed wording.

Headline - "FGW (First Great Western) Chiefs vow to improve town's service" - oh if only it was *that* cut and dried - it's far from it!

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 16:15:07 »

I imagine action may be taken once all units have been refurbished and there is maximum stock available.

Would a single 153 suffice on the services you propose?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 17:48:59 »

I imagine action may be taken once all units have been refurbished and there is maximum stock available.

Would a single 153 suffice on the services you propose?

To be honest, that's very hard to judge. You're looking at commuter flows and growth over the next few years, and these things take time to grow. Looking at the 2001 - 2006 experience, I'll take an educated guess that a 153 would suffice for 2009, although it might start to get pretty darned crowded in the autumn on the 08:24 from Melksham and the 17:55 from Swindon

But the suggestions include a degree of disipation.  One of the huge problems with the current service as a commute train is that it makes the day far too LONG for anyone with a sane work pattern.  With the current service retained (part of the idea), the train that arrives in Swindon at a quarter to eight will get traffic that it can't at present - people who can return at lunchtime, mid afternoon, and normal commuter time.  And the existing evening train - quarter to 7 from Swindon - would gather extra traffic from new Swindon arrival just before 9 and and late morning.

Summary a year after the new service starts - a busy 153 in at 07:45, a packed one in an hour later.  Two comfortable (but not quiet) arrivals during the day.  The train that would get to Swindon about 17:30 would actually be pretty darned busy (we know this from the past) and the 20:20 arrival will be the only quiet train that's left on the line in that direction.  I'm sure you can see how the reverse would work with the 06:18 being the only quiet train!

I do wonder about 142 or 143 instead.  They would certainly provide somewhat more capacity and they ride well on high quality track (which we have - we're not a branch!) so they would be more than welcome hereabouts.  The issue there might be the through working to Salisbury as they're not presently allowed south of Warminster - but I do find myself wondering if that could be overcome as they wouldn't be going into 3rd rail territory.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 17:51:16 by grahame » Logged

Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 16:30:45 »

I'm also wondering about the Westbury - Salisbury trip, there's a good chance people from Bath/Bristol will soon know they can change at Westbury for an extra Salisbury service, and people from Salisbury will be changing at Westbury for Bath and Bristol. So that part of the journey may soon become rather busy for a 153 (I'm not saying the Westbury-Swindon trip won't though, as I'm sure it will after a month or two Wink ) and it may well be worth investigating the possibility of allowing 143/142s down to Salisbury.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 17:50:21 »

I'm also wondering about the Westbury - Salisbury trip, there's a good chance people from Bath/Bristol will soon know they can change at Westbury for an extra Salisbury service, and people from Salisbury will be changing at Westbury for Bath and Bristol. So that part of the journey may soon become rather busy for a 153 (I'm not saying the Westbury-Swindon trip won't though, as I'm sure it will after a month or two Wink ) and it may well be worth investigating the possibility of allowing 143/142s down to Salisbury.

TBH (to be honest), decide - Frome or Salisbury!!!!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 06:42:11 »

TBH (to be honest), decide - Frome or Salisbury!!!!

This thread is so badly named, Jim - FGW (First Great Western) might have been interpretted to say it's "more Melksham services or less crowded trains towards Bath and Bristol", and it might also appear at first glance to be schemes that benefit either Frome or Salisbury. But note - you run a 153 or 14x (with clearance) or even 150 (whos place is taken by a 14x running an extra diagram on a line it's already allowed to use) or extend a 158 /9 from Salisbury to Swindon and back and you provide a whole load of extra benefits.

a) You provide a more appropriate Melksham service to everywhere
b) You provide a useable Trowbridge to Swindon Service
c) You provide a useable service from Salisbury to Chippenham
d) You provide a practical service from Swindon to Salisbury
e) You strengthen services northbound from Salisbury to Warminster, Westbury and Trowbridge

f) With the Warminster - Great Malvern terminators duplicated by the new TransWilts service within a few minutes, you can divert at least two of those service to Frome to fill in serious gaps that we all acknowledge that town has.  Becomes hourly (at worst) in peak, 2-hourly (at worst) middle of day.

g) With the new service for items (b), (c) and (d) above - all of which are substantial travel requirements between major Wiltshire towns - you take away the need for rail passengers on these journeys to travel via Bath - diverting demand from Trowbridge - Bath (- Bristol) trains onto the re-instated direct service. So you won't be turning people away at Trowbridge and B-o-A as has been happening.

I make that seven immediate benefits, covering the whole county and many, many travel requirements that are not Melkshamcentric.  But I would agree that Melksham makes the biggest gain - after all, it has been the worst treated in the last two timetable changes.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 06:48:19 by grahame » Logged

Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 07:43:56 »

But my point is, is that really your only going to get 1 unit - yeah? So, would you use it to Frome (to give it a better service) or Salisbury (to cut crowding down there)

But also remember, the Portsmouths carry most people the other way at Bradford JN, as the demand is really to Bath/Bristol, and in my opinion, that is where it is. To be honest, I think it should be easy enough to spare a 153. The thing is, it is hard to tell at Bath how many people get off to do the through journey.

If I were to propose something, I would propose Swindon-Frome - purley because that gives you the option of having Pacers.....

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 08:31:25 »

This thread is so badly named

Oi, I named that thread  Grin And it does accurately sum up what FGW (First Great Western) said :

Wiltshire Times article link.
http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/latestheadlines/display.var.2068739.0.rail_chiefs_pledge_on_melksham_service.php

Quote from: FGW (First Great Western)
Should an extra carriage if it becomes available be used to provide more services for Melksham, or to ease crowding on peak time services in and out of Bristol?

I do think, though, that there are options floating around that would both ease crowding in the Greater Bristol area and provide better TransWilts services.

Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 10:48:21 »

Remember though Jim even if the TransWilts service was to go to Salisbury, Frome would still benefit as the current Great Malvern-Warminster terminators can go there instead. Dilton Marsh would be catered for by the TW.

This would provide a decent evening service for me although there still would be that rediculous 3 hour gap in the morning peak. Interesting thought about the Pacers though...
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 12:13:53 »

I think I've found a way of getting Melksham an additional earlier Westbury - Swindon in the evening, making the 1722 both for Portsmouth Harbour & Frome. The return working of that Frome is a Melksham service. That then returns from Swindon to form a Southampton Central service... and then returns to Bristol replacing the 2120 to allow later connections (and PR (Public Relations) buzz from later running). Oh, and it's resource neutral.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: