Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:40:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: State of the Nation - transport, Cornwall  (Read 19001 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 31, 2017, 06:56:51 »

Two Facebook posts - a bus and a train one - on Cornwall, part of a series designed to provoke thoughtful conversation and help engage individuals and groups across the South West in looking forward from a customer viewpoint.  Facebook members - your help in sharing these to appropriate places would be appreciated.   Comments welcome here too, of course.  Some members may not agree with everything written ...

Please Facebook share from [here]

Cornish Main Line. Pictured on the 06:00 Penzance to Cardiff in early July 2017, between Saltash and Devonport.  Passenger numbers on trains across the South West have rocketed over the past 10 years, with the UK (United Kingdom)'s railways now carrying as many passengers as they did at their peak, although there's now only half the route mileage left open.  The rate of growth has been far higher than was planned for, resulting in overcrowded trains like this one, as new capacity is for the most part still a promise / in the pipeline rather than being with us yet in the South West.  In the last year or so, growth has slowed down - but that's probably not due to a lack of demand.  Rather that you can't get more people on the train!

The Cornish main line - Penzance to Plymouth - currently has an irregular service, with gaps between trains of up to 80 minutes.  Plans are that in the not too distant future, there will be a regular 30 minute "clockface" service - so that the gaps will be filled - and that trains will be longer.   This 06:00 off Penzance is currently scheduled to be the first service on the line replaces by a "pocket rocket" - a 4 carriage train that uses the the locomotives and some carriages from a pensioned off High Speed Train, fitted with automatic doors (to reduce the time spent at stations making sure it's ready to restart) and disabled toilets (for, obviously, disabled people - and also to ensure it's still legal to use beyond 2020).

We look forward to the increase in capacity - passengers cannot travel on promises, and we've had promised / scheduled dates for extra capacity broken far too many times to totally believe what we're told now.   The proof will come when extra capacity is actually delivered on a daily basis, with minimal cancellations and reductions of train length due to "shortage of drivers", "shortage of train managers" or "more than usual trains requiring repair at the same time"

Please Facebook share from [here]

Prestige bus fleets. The Tinner bus fleet - running services T1 and T2 from Truro to Penzance - is an example of a fleet branded and promoted to a route. These 20 ADL Enviro 400MMC buses were all new in 2016 and are being used in promoting this route; although operated by First Kernow, they boast their own branding rather that the new green of First Kernow, or a standard First livery.

Where a route justifies frequent, quality buses, such branding is not uncommon. Other examples in our area are Oxford to Swindon, and Bristol to Wells. Reports suggest that on the right route, such a marketing and sales operation can be an excellent investment for the operator, with traffic growing well (and beyond the growth of seating) as a service that can be used on a "turn up and go" basis reaches people that less frequent, and less distinct, buses don't.

There is a concern with a "prestige route" that traffic may be sucked like from a sponge from adjoining routes, to their detriment - that the route will become an entity in its own right rather than part of a network. Current comment in Swindon and Royal Wootton Bassett about the services between those two points are showing that a fast, frequent service may be great, but West Swindon to Royal Wootton Bassett has has a lessening of service due to a concentration on the main flow to the exclusion of other, but significant, opportunities.

The Tinner bus in Cornwall is a case in point of this lack of integration. The author of this post was due to catch a train from Hayle to Penzance on a Sunday in July ... train cancelled (First group train), and advise was to wait for next one two hours later ("no alternative available" say the chap on the help point). But this bus ran just a few hundred yards away. Guess what - First group company too, but not integrated or branded into the network.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Cornish bobby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 12:48:59 »

During times of severe disruption to rail services in Cornwall rail tickets are sometimes valid for travel on local bus routes.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 13:42:26 »

During times of severe disruption to rail services in Cornwall rail tickets are sometimes valid for travel on local bus routes.

But why only during times of severe disruption?   Wouldn't it encourage more people to use public transport if they could go out on the train and back on the bus or vice versa?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 14:06:10 »

Because there's no way of sharing the fare box(es)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 14:18:55 »

But why only during times of severe disruption?   Wouldn't it encourage more people to use public transport if they could go out on the train and back on the bus or vice versa?

Two possible scenarios:

a) Shrug your shoulders and don't bother about the extra business that would be available

b) Do something about it.  With the same parent company, how about "whoever takes the money keeps it"?   Come to think of it, that would be a rough and ready way with different parent companies and might not be far out!

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 15:04:26 »

Cheap way of travelling by train - buy a bus ticket. No, I don't think that'll catch on somehow.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 15:13:24 »

Two possible scenarios:

a) Shrug your shoulders and don't bother about the extra business that would be available

b) Do something about it.  With the same parent company, how about "whoever takes the money keeps it"?   Come to think of it, that would be a rough and ready way with different parent companies and might not be far out!

Cornwall Council are working up the "One Public Transport Network for Cornwall" concept, anchored around the greatly improved Plymouth - Penzance rail service.  The vision is one network, one timetable, one ticket so they are aiming for interavailability.   
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 15:26:07 »

Cornwall Council are working up the "One Public Transport Network for Cornwall" concept, anchored around the greatly improved Plymouth - Penzance rail service.  The vision is one network, one timetable, one ticket so they are aiming for interavailability.   

Yes - and I love that vision.  Seems to make sense!

Cheap way of travelling by train - buy a bus ticket. No, I don't think that'll catch on somehow.

In some places "cheap way of travelling by bus - buy a train ticket" though.   It's not uniform!

trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 17:14:52 »

Yes - and I love that vision.  Seems to make sense!

In some places "cheap way of travelling by bus - buy a train ticket" though.   It's not uniform!

Yes indeed. Train fares are cheaper between Redruth and Camborne than the buses. The service is also quicker than the bus! Grin

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 19:37:42 »

Opposite way round in Cornwall. The train is considerably cheaper than the bus. A railcard holder can travel from Penzance to Plymouth for cheaper than a bus from Penzance to Camborne. Or Liskeard to Plymouth.

Take a regular journey I make to Plymouth by bus is £7.50, or by train £5.95 (3.95 railcard)
I often use the bus as despite being £3.55 more expensive it's a regular and reliable service. It's also clockface. The bus is always busy all the way into Plymouth. We've been upgraded recently to longer buses- double deckers can't operate the route 11 due to a low bridge.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 21:09:11 »

Take a regular journey I make to Plymouth by bus is £7.50, or by train £5.95 (3.95 railcard)
I often use the bus as despite being £3.55 more expensive it's a regular and reliable service. It's also clockface.

It's going to very interesting to see what choices people make when the train goes clockface and (I would hope) reliable. Of course, reliability may be more difficult to achieve where there's trains running as far as London and Scotland into Cornwall.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 02:30:26 »

Even in commuter land that can still be the case.  Oxford to Radley return on the train is peak £4.50, or off-peak £3.80, but it's £4.80 on the bus.  Mind you a single on the train is £3.60, but only £3.20 on the bus!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 08:02:54 »

Another "Cornwall post" [here].  I'm somewhat nervous about posting too many thoughts about Cornwall's transport knowing what expertise we have here, but it's part of the overall TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) role to know / inform / promote / help groups all across the South West - and "seeding" discussions in places like this forum seems to be a good way of encouraging people to talk, discuss, learn.

I know a little more about Cornwall now than I did before my July holiday down there.  Having said which, that's only a little more and there is a lot more good practise to learn from!

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 08:38:48 »

The first pic is perhaps disproportionate. It is the Devonport High school for Boys 'school bus' from most stations between Liskeard and Devonport. It is normally rammed with school boys. DHS has a great reputation and attracts kids from as far away as liskeard.
The 0600 from Penzance calls at Devonport so is the train of choice.
The 1557 from Plymouth is the same coming back after school.
Two services I know to avoid! I've used the 1557 a few times and hundreds of kids board at Devonport. Gwr regularly use bus dupes for the 1557 from Plymouth calling at liskeard and Bodmin parkway only, to keep the train free for Devonport pick ups.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 13:55:05 by richwarwicker » Logged

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 13:02:34 »

The first pic is perhaps disproportionate. It is the Devonport High school for Boys 'school bus' from most stations between Liskeard and Devonport. It is normally rammed with school boys. DHS has a great reputation and attracts kids from as far away as liskeard.
The 0600 from Penzance calls at Devonport so is the train of choice.

Let's say that when I got on that train at 06:12 at Hayle, I hadn't realised just how busy it was going to get.   Mind you, from Hayle there was a long gap and little choice if I was to make my Taunton meeting. It's also just about the only choice, as I recall, from Menheniot where we picked up a substantial load too.   Good train to select to go up to 4 cars when it can.   Almost as packed as the 17:53 Chippenham to Melksham  Cheesy

Huge flood off, as you suggest, at Devonport.     Traffic on and off at the other stations between Saltash and Plymouth was light, but then their main service is the Gunnislake train.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: