Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:32:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: State of the Nation - transport, Cornwall  (Read 19012 times)
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 15:04:22 »

The first pic is perhaps disproportionate. It is the Devonport High school for Boys 'school bus' from most stations between Liskeard and Devonport. It is normally rammed with school boys. DHS has a great reputation and attracts kids from as far away as liskeard.
The 0600 from Penzance calls at Devonport so is the train of choice.
The 1557 from Plymouth is the same coming back after school.
Two services I know to avoid! I've used the 1557 a few times and hundreds of kids board at Devonport. Gwr regularly use bus dupes for the 1557 from Plymouth calling at liskeard and Bodmin parkway only, to keep the train free for Devonport pick ups.

Not just the Devonport High School for Boys, lots travel to the Girls' one in Devonport too and the Plymouth High School for Girls which is about ten minutes' walk from Plymouth station.  Both of these trains were strengthened a couple of years' ago now and are usually three coaches.  The Pocket Rocket can't come soon enough!

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 08:49:19 »

The first pic is perhaps disproportionate. It is the Devonport High school for Boys 'school bus' from most stations between Liskeard and Devonport. It is normally rammed with school boys. DHS has a great reputation and attracts kids from as far away as liskeard.
Two services I know to avoid! I've used the 1557 a few times and hundreds of kids board at Devonport. Gwr regularly use bus dupes for the 1557 from Plymouth calling at liskeard and Bodmin parkway only, to keep the train free for Devonport pick ups.

DHS for Boys is indeed an excellent school with a deservedly great reputation and has produced many distinguished pupils who have gone on to excel all over the world...............and Taplow, like this particular DHS Old Boy!  Smiley
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 12:19:51 »

Not just the Devonport High School for Boys, lots travel to the Girls' one in Devonport too and the Plymouth High School for Girls which is about ten minutes' walk from Plymouth station.  Both of these trains were strengthened a couple of years' ago now and are usually three coaches.  The Pocket Rocket can't come soon enough!

Having used that service several times by accident, 100s of boys but only ever 2-3 girls. There are coaches put on by the girls school operated by Target Travel

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 15:05:49 »

Having used that service several times by accident, 100s of boys but only ever 2-3 girls. There are coaches put on by the girls school operated by Target Travel

Fair dos, Richard, I hadn't noticed.  Certainly lots of girls use the respective Tamar Valley Line trains but, then, of course, nowhere near so straightforward to put on buses instead.  Perhaps for the Plymouth High School for Girls, 15 57 is just a little too early and there is the just over hour gap to the next train to stations to Liskeard.  Will be interesting to see what happens when the much better main line service begins.
Kernowman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 20:21:39 »

During times of severe disruption to rail services in Cornwall rail tickets are sometimes valid for travel on local bus routes.

But why only during times of severe disruption?   Wouldn't it encourage more people to use public transport if they could go out on the train and back on the bus or vice versa?
One of the reasons why a Ride Cornwall ticket is a good idea (it's about £13) and you can visit rail and non-rail connected places.
'The Ride Cornwall Ranger offers the holder one day's unlimited travel on all rail and most bus services within Cornwall and between Cornwall and Plymouth'.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 15:43:12 »

There is a bus dupe of the 1557 Plymouth to Penzance today and tomorrow being operated by Tamar Coaches with H13 TCL

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 15:50:33 »

There is a bus dupe of the 1557 Plymouth to Penzance today and tomorrow being operated by Tamar Coaches with H13 TCL

I like the abbreviation of dupe for duplicate. How many of us have been duped by a bus, all glossy and new on the outside and leaving a lot be desired on the inside ? Huh
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 13:01:36 »

On First Kernow Facebook just now

First Kernow
46 mins ·
Ride Cornwall.
Despite having agreed a new set of prices and conditions for Ride Cornwall with partner bus operators and GWR (Great Western Railway) a considerable time ago, rail operators are still not able to implement these changes.

As a result, we have had to take the unwelcome decision to suspend our participation in Ride Cornwall until such time as the rail operators can implement these long planned changes.

We are therefore unable to sell or accept any Ride Cornwall tickets from 26th May 2019 until further notice.

We are hopeful that the implementation of the changes can be made by the rail operators as soon as possible, at which point we will be able to sell and accept Ride Cornwall tickets once again.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 13:10:32 »

This is quite important.
Mods: Would it be better as a separate thread under an appropriate title?

Any insiders able to comment.....RichardB?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 13:31:26 »

Suspect a change in fare split amongst the operators, not yet implemented across the TOCs (Train Operating Company)?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 20:55:13 »

Reality is it’s too cheap! £13 for unlimited rail, First bus and Plymouth city bus services.
Compared to individual fares;

Train Plymouth to Penzance return is I believe £11.10

First Bus Truro to St Ives is £9 return, Padstow to Newquay again £9 return, Truro to Newquay £7.50 return.

Plymouth city bus Liskeard to waderbridge return is between £9 and £10.... strangely PCB all zone day rider is only £8 (their zones haven’t been updated since they started cornwall services and they now have some anomalies in their fares, Bude, Padstow, wadebridge)

£13 split between GWR (Great Western Railway), XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), First Kernow And Plymouth citybus doesn’t leave a lot each to allow unlimited travel. All parties have agreed the new price but the railway have failed to implement it on their systems

GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2019, 06:29:25 »

And Now............drum roll............

On First Kernow Facebook
First Kernow
24 May at 17:07 ·
Ride Cornwall
Unlimited travel all day on most buses, and after 09:00* on Cornwall’s trains

Buy from:
...train station ticket offices
...train managers/conductors
...bus drivers

The Ride Cornwall pass costs:
£18 for adults
£9 for children
£36 for a family of up to 2 adults and 3 children

*You can travel before 09:00 on the following services:
08:14 Plymouth - Penzance
08:40 Plymouth - Gunnislake

Please note that railcard and other discounts are not available against Ride Cornwall passes

28 comments
12 shares

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2019, 07:34:41 »

Reality is it’s too cheap! £13 for unlimited rail, First bus and Plymouth city bus services.

Buy from:
...bus drivers

£18 for adults

Am I reading that the pass is re-instated at the last minute, at a significantly higher price, or am I comparing a camel with a grapefruit?

Noting it reads as if no online sales, no sales from TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine), no phone in to buy  ... person to person purchase only?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2019, 08:30:48 »

Buy from:
...bus drivers

£18 for adults

Am I reading that the pass is re-instated at the last minute, at a significantly higher price, or am I comparing a camel with a grapefruit?

Noting it reads as if no online sales, no sales from TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine), no phone in to buy  ... person to person purchase only?

£13 to £18. It’s only seen 1 small price rise in 10 years I think, and consensus is it was under priced.
It’s always been person to person purchase only.
All partners were pushing for price rise, DfT» (Department for Transport - about)/RDG(resolve) apparently approved the price rise late this week, presumably a withdrawal threat worked. The price rise has apparently been waiting for approval for considerable time.
I understand GWR (Great Western Railway) are introducing a Cornwall rail only rover at £12.50 (possibly today, a ticket office staff contact said they had a email on Friday concerning it)

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2019, 18:23:35 »

I understand GWR (Great Western Railway) are introducing a Cornwall rail only rover at £12.50 (possibly today, a ticket office staff contact said they had a email on Friday concerning it)

Correct - and it was available at start of play this morning (Sunday, 26th)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 18:35:45 by PhilWakely » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: