Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 22:32:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Waterloo station - collision and derailment, 15 Aug 2017  (Read 21536 times)
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 08:41:33 »

I wonder whether perhaps the points were set wrong when the inward working entered P13 some 20 minutes earlier.  This “trailing” of the points would not of course have caused a derailment, but would have damaged them and could have lead to the 0540 outward working derailing when passing over them. 

Partial/complete replacement of the moving bits of the points may be necessary, which they may have decided to postpone for now.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 09:39:16 »

On the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum it was mentioned that the derailed train (once rerailed) was stabled in Platform No.13 so perhaps its still there?
I believe it ran to Clapham Yard yesterday morning about 0815, 5Z50 was the train ID mentioned elsewhere. I think I saw it in P11 on the opentraintimes map beforehand but cannot be sure.

Paul
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 11:06:48 »

I wonder whether perhaps the points were set wrong when the inward working entered P13 some 20 minutes earlier.  This “trailing” of the points would not of course have caused a derailment, but would have damaged them and could have lead to the 0540 outward working derailing when passing over them. 
Not sure about this 'inward working to P13'?  The incident train was leaving P11, there have been various images online showing the majority of the train still in P11 after the event.  Another unit was trapped in P12 after the incident, and P13 was inaccessible, but IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) empty at the time.

This Guardian article shows the aftermath, the barrier train being in the P10 approach:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/16/rail-passengers-second-day-delays-waterloo-derailment

Paul 
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 11:07:40 »

from the SWT (South West Trains) journey check

Following a low-speed partial derailment on Tuesday, we are unable to use platform 13 at London Waterloo. Engineers attempted repairs overnight but were unable to complete them without causing significant disruption to morning services. As a result, the work to bring the platform back into use will take place overnight on Thursday 17 August.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 11:40:11 »

from the SWT (South West Trains) journey check

Following a low-speed partial derailment on Tuesday, we are unable to use platform 13 at London Waterloo. Engineers attempted repairs overnight but were unable to complete them without causing significant disruption to morning services. As a result, the work to bring the platform back into use will take place overnight on Thursday 17 August.

That's just as you'd expect, (as post #47) - hence P11 and P12 are in use, (trains in there as I write) which indicates that the affected crossing is presently out of action and must be locked in position for 'straight across' moves from P11 or P12 towards the Up Main Relief.

It doesn't mean the original incident concerned trains entering or leaving P13 at all.

Paul
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 14:20:15 »

Not sure about this 'inward working to P13'?  The incident train was leaving P11, there have been various images online showing the majority of the train still in P11 after the event.  Another unit was trapped in P12 after the incident, and P13 was inaccessible, but IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) empty at the time.

This Guardian article shows the aftermath, the barrier train being in the P10 approach:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/16/rail-passengers-second-day-delays-waterloo-derailment

Paul 

Sorry, my mistake, I should have said P11 not P13.

...[later]  and RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) shows the train in P12 arrived after the train in P11, so that's my theory blown out of the water!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 16:04:14 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 17:19:03 »

Sorry, my mistake, I should have said P11 not P13.

...[later]  and RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) shows the train in P12 arrived after the train in P11, so that's my theory blown out of the water!

No problem.  We are back on the same song sheet again...   Smiley

Paul...
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2017, 15:19:25 »

In that London Connections piece, it says:
In the end, however, the additional closure of platform 10 was required, due to the need for a barrier train at the end of platform 10 and across the Up Main Fast.

I'd been thinking that was at least a likely reason, and also speculating why - probably that plan A for blocking that path (clipping) was impractical for just those bits of a double slip crossing, and plan B (temporarily changing the interlocking) might also be too difficult. The comments after that article suggest the same things, and add that testing any modified interlocking was a big job in itself.

If you look at the way the possession has changed each weekend, not just for the bank holiday, that means that whatever was done to that crossing needed to be undone and redone several times. That would have added to the difficulty of either plan.

During each weekend, the possession covers all four main lines out to Queenstown Road, leaving the passenger service only three tracks - fingers crossed nothing breaks there! It also means all possessed platforms are reached via a sizeable parking area for engineering trains. During the week, only the slow lines are taken over, meaning that platforms above 7 can only be reached via the West Crossings. But that's how trains in service get between the Main Fast Lines and their platforms. I'm guessing that was seen as the main danger point, though not one that can really be avoided.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 14:01:29 by stuving » Logged
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 10:29:22 »

From RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) today (30th) 10h01
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/collision-near-london-waterloo-station-15-august-2017

News story
Collision near London Waterloo station, 15 August 2017
From:Rail Accident Investigation Branch Published:30 August 2017
Investigation into a collision near London Waterloo station, 15 August 2017.

Passenger train and wagons after the collision at Waterloo
Passenger train and wagons after the collision at Waterloo
At around 05:42 hrs on Tuesday 15 August 2017, a passenger train leaving London Waterloo station travelling at about 11 mph (18 km/h) collided with a stationary train of wagons. There were no injuries, but both trains were damaged and there was serious disruption to train services using the station.

The passenger train was the 05:40 hrs South West Trains service from Waterloo to Guildford and comprised 10 coaches, a combination of class 455 and class 456 electric units. The wagons were standing on a line adjacent to the intended route of the passenger train and had been provided as a safety barrier separating passenger services from an area where construction work was being undertaken as part of the Waterloo station upgrade project.

The collision occurred because a set of points were misaligned and directed the passenger train away from its intended route. The misalignment was a consequence of a temporary modification to the points control system which also caused the train driver and signaller to receive indications that the points were correctly aligned.

Our investigation will examine:

the circumstances leading to installation of the temporary control system modification
the safety measures provided while the temporary modification was in place
the checking and testing procedures applicable to the modification
any relevant underlying management factors.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 14:30:43 »

The collision occurred because a set of points were misaligned and directed the passenger train away from its intended route. The misalignment was a consequence of a temporary modification to the points control system which also caused the train driver and signaller to receive indications that the points were correctly aligned.

Interesting to see this initial report ... removing the possibility of it being a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) or a signaller's error

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2017, 15:23:00 »

To those of us who have undertaken risk assessments, it is always about one's position in the matrix bounded by likelihood - on the one hand - and consequences on the other, and what mitigation you employ in each part of that risk space. To my eyes, the barrier train did exactly what it was supposed to do in these circumstance.  It looks to me like it was the blunt, but all powerful, back-stop against a risk that was very unlikely, but with huge negative consequences if it happened.

I will be interested to see the RIAB look into the risk assessment programme.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 15:57:48 »

To those of us who have undertaken risk assessments, it is always about one's position in the matrix bounded by likelihood - on the one hand - and consequences on the other, and what mitigation you employ in each part of that risk space. To my eyes, the barrier train did exactly what it was supposed to do in these circumstance.  It looks to me like it was the blunt, but all powerful, back-stop against a risk that was very unlikely, but with huge negative consequences if it happened.

I will be interested to see the RIAB look into the risk assessment programme.

Although the barrier train was more likely to prevent construction site RRV (Road Rail Vehicle) incursion onto the operational railway than operational rail vehicles incursion into the construction site.

Having been in many rolls which have involved signing off on work similar to this the report will be interesting to read to see if it was process or human failure or a combination of the two,

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 16:10:45 »

Although the barrier train was more likely to prevent construction site RRV (Road Rail Vehicle) incursion onto the operational railway than operational rail vehicles incursion into the construction site.

I agree you that an RRV excursion was always more likely, or a trolley for that matter.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 18:07:47 »

I would also have  expected the point in question to be clipped and padlocked as well as relying on "A temporary modification to the points control system". Might burn the point motor out!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 18:20:54 by eightf48544 » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 20:27:57 »

I would also have  expected the point in question to be clipped and padlocked as well as relying on "A temporary modification to the points control system". Might burn the point motor out!

It is a double slip crossover, with four routes/positions.    IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) from other discussions there are four separate points machines, and four possible positions of the crossover.   AIUI (as I understand it) they cannot be partially clipped out of use because of the way the moving blades have to interact.   Clipping it in one position, say UMR to P12/13, would have taken P11 out of use. (or vice versa.)

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: