Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:10:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SWR Disaster On 'First' Day  (Read 3020 times)
SByers

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2017, 16:17:18 »

SWR» (South Western Railway - about) "The Journey  Starts Here ..."

Buzzcocks.

Widespread disruption and hours' worth of delays and cancellations.

Tryng to get from Feltham to Kingston - the black fella in the ticket office who was more interested in playing games on a smart phone - eventually said "Kington?" He didn't know where that was. Catch the next train in 20 minutes (one of the few running) - change at Twickenham (which I already knew). That was all the help he offered. Then went back to his smart phone.

When I got to Twickenham there was so much disruption - all trains were delayed by hours - not even showing cancelled - and nothing was going round the Kingston loop.

So I ended up at Waterloo - two hours' late.

The announcements on the trains and stations were 'a train fault' or 'power supply problems.'

Obviously there's "lies, damned lies, and SWR excuses."

At Waterloo there was a brave new sign stating South West Railways - "The Journey Starts Here..."

Bo$$ocks. No-one's journey was starting anywhere are certainly not here at Waterloo - period.

I have now complained to the Advertising Standards Authority.

I'd have thought that they'd have toned down the message bearing in mind the network-wide disruptions.

Of course disruptions on First Group services are expected, they've got those to perfection on GWR (Great Western Railway).

And MTR? Well an out-and-back Metro service in Hong Kong is no training for managing the complex ex-SWT (South West Trains) network. And they well failed today.

SWR had taken out a full two page advert in Metro. They're promising all kinds of improvements. Well running trains would be an improvement. How hard is that? SWT managed - but not it seems MTR / First Group.

Pathetic bunch of idiots. No wonder RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) etc. are going on strike.

SB (Signal Box)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 16:22:35 »

You don't say when this was....
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 17:19:34 »

The first report was timed 05:16!

Various incidents across the South Western Railway network is resulting in some trains being delayed by up to 60 minutes, cancelled or revised.

Evening peak services are likely to be disrupted due to the following incidents that occurred during today;

A broken down train (Loss of power to the train) between Staines and Feltham,
        A broken down train between Wimbledon and Earlsfield blocking the local surburban line.
        A signalling problem between Hilsea and Portsmouth Harbour,
        A signalling problem between Southampton Central and Fareham
        A trespass incident between Basingstoke and Eastleigh
        A points problem at London Waterloo closing Platform 9.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 17:34:34 »

Yes it wasn't the best day for the 'launch' of the new franchise with some attendees stuck on trains outside Waterloo for various reasons.

Paul Clifton tweeting the launch train was 15 minutes late!

I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon of its Firstgroup so bound to go wrong be rubbish etc. Let's give Andy Mellors and his team a chance to deliver on the commitments made when awarded the franchise.

Believe me they are going to need all the goodwill they can get especially with the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) already balloting their members.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 17:48:45 »

I'm not sure how many of those various failures should have or did have much impact on services nearer London. Obviously the Feltham one did, in part because it did take quite a while to rescue the poor thing.

1S14 from Weybridge left Ashford at 07:29 (2L) and was terminated at Feltham at 09:56, by now 145L. However the next train to leave Feltham was 2C14 from Reading, at 10:16, 161L.

They did manage to keep up trains running, by sending them on one of the long detours available to the SWML (South Western Mail Line). Down trains seem mostly to have used the normal route, though not all. I imagine Waterloo ran out of trains to send back out at one point. 
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 19:25:29 »

-------------------snip------------------

Pathetic bunch of idiots. No wonder RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) etc. are going on strike.
SB (Signal Box)

A broken down train (Loss of power to the train) between Staines and Feltham,
        A broken down train between Wimbledon and Earlsfield blocking the local surburban line.
        A signalling problem between Hilsea and Portsmouth Harbour,
        A signalling problem between Southampton Central and Fareham
        A trespass incident between Basingstoke and Eastleigh
        A points problem at London Waterloo closing Platform 9.

Signalling problems and the points failure = Network Rail
Trespass = Some idiot
Train failures = Could be down to the TOC (Train Operating Company) depending on the fault and any relative preventive maintenance, or could just be down to bad luck.

Can't blame SWR too much.

Now if it was 'due to driver shortage', 'due to a shortage of train crew', or 'due to more repairs required than usual' then by all means blame the TOC!
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 20:14:22 »

...and I'm not sure the skin colour of the person in the ticket office at Feltham is of any relevance.  Roll Eyes

I'm no fan of franchising, or the corporations that run them, but it's worth noting that MTR Corporation is far more than just an operator of an 'out and back' metro in Hong-Kong. They operate heavy rail services in numerous countries, both suburban and long distance,  and were, until recently, operator of the London Overground concession. They are also running the Crossrail concession.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 08:33:57 »

When I got to Twickenham there was so much disruption - all trains were delayed by hours - not even showing cancelled - and nothing was going round the Kingston loop.

So I ended up at Waterloo - two hours' late."

Why didn't you think about seeing if there was a bus from Twickenham to Kingston? 

As it happens, the 281 would have taken you straight from Twickenham station.
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 10:15:57 »

I'm sure the day would have gone just fine had SWT (South West Trains) still been in control then?  Cheesy
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 10:18:59 »

Quite.

Trying to make a mountain out of a molehill that SWT (South West Trains) had zero control over that soon after taking over.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 10:50:54 »

Quite.

Trying to make a mountain out of a molehill that SWT (South West Trains) had zero control over that soon after taking over.

I think there's no doubt that SWT had zero control over it...
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 10:59:52 »

Indeed, nor had SWR» (South Western Railway - about) frankly
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: