Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:32:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Underground  (Read 17290 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2017, 16:40:03 »

..no not putting the city underground but.... Roll Eyes  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-41152221

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

A £2.5bn "mass transit" underground for Bristol has moved a step closer.

Elected mayor Marvin Rees said the city needs a "three dimensional solution" to its transport problems using "underground and over-ground" routes.

The council has commissioned a £50,000 study to determine if it is financially viable.

Mr Rees is also looking to bid for £3m to examine rock samples to look at how the project could work practically.

That money, from the West of England Combined Authority (Weca), would include looking at existing tunnels under the city.

The planned line would connect the city's airport and Temple Meads railway station linking on to the Cribbs Causeway shopping centre.

BBC West political reporter - Robin Markwell

Flagship transport schemes in Bristol are famed for hitting the buffers.

Several failed attempts have been made to revive the trams that were scrapped after the war, but the mayor's big idea of going underground is different.

He believes that some of the city's old tunnels could be brought back to life and Bristol's streets are so crowded that - in some areas - the only way is down.

Mayor Rees is looking to raise much of the two billion from private investment but his critics warn there is no magic money tree and this risks going the same way as the so-called "supertram".

Mr Rees said if the idea proves possible he will go to the government and the world market to find the investment to bring the project to life.

"We can build tunnels under the city, but the question is whether the cost of the tunnel stacks up financially and can we get investors to bring the scheme to life. That's what we're looking at now," the Labour mayor said.

Mayor Marvin Rees says Bristol's transport problems could not be solved with just one project

Asked how this would work with the city's controversial MetroBus project, he said Bristol's transport problems could not be solved with just one scheme.

"It has to be about an integrated transport system, MetroBus is one of the interventions but there are more that are needed to complement that," Mr Rees said.

"We need a mass transit scheme for Bristol, we've known that for decades.

"Some of it will be over ground, some underground - it's about connecting the key communities and economic areas.

"So the airport into the city centre, through Bristol south connecting all the communities to all the employment hot spots, and out to the north fringe as well."

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 16:56:08 »

"Some of it will be over ground, some underground" - and if you minuetto allegretto you will live to be old. Wheeeeeeeeee! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lJa1HuynIA

Where exactly are these spare tunnels that no-one else has ever thought of using, Marvin?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 17:11:25 »

Hmm, the figure changes from "£3 million" to "two million" over a few paragraphs. Journalistic standards at the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) are almost as high as at the Bristol Post.

Anyway, I think there's a purpose behind this that's nothing to do with transport. The City Council (like local government generally) is starved of funds, which Mayor Marvin is concentrating mainly on housing – his priority. I'm not sure exactly how but I reckon this "study" is part of a plea/plan/scheme to beg/borrow more money for the council generally (and not just money but attention from the Centre).

OT, but:
Several failed attempts have been made to revive the trams that were scrapped after the war, but the mayor's big idea of going underground is different.
I thought the decision to scrap the trams was taken before the war and some vehicles and track were taken up in the late thirties, the scrapping being delayed by the outbreak of war until a bomb hit some vital part of the system.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 17:25:31 »

A billion is more than just a million with a bad cold, but I agree that they're easily confused. It was so much easier back in the days before Denis Healey decided we'd follow the US by devaluing the billion; we had thousands of millions then and no-one got confused, even if they had the flu.

So:
The scheme is estimated to cost £2,500,000,000 according to the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page);
The scheme is estimated to cost £2,000,000,000 according to Robin Markwell, of the BBC;
The office intern will be given £50,000 to read the Wikipedia article about the Avon Supertram;
Someone will spend £3,000,000 digging holes to see what's down there. Wish they'd ask me; it's mostly limestone. I reckon they'll start at The Centre, and then move on to Temple Circus (which should be a crossroads by then).

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 17:45:20 »

Sorry, I was confusing the £3 million for "rock samples" with the later "two billion" for the whole project. The way the first two sums (£2.5 billion, £3 million) are given in one format and the "two billion" in words alone doesn't add to the feeling of a reliably written article either.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 17:46:34 »

Milliards?  Cheesy

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 17:48:07 »

Milliards?  Cheesy

Same to you with brass knobs on.

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 18:38:20 »

The Bristol City  UNDERLGROUND !!?.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 19:13:34 »

The Bristol Underground can't be built till we have a line from Portishead... to Massive Attack via Roni Size and Banksy!

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 19:52:04 »

I sense the need for some elucidation: In linguistic terms (let's not get sidetracked by the excellent products of Bristol Commercial Vehicles Ltd) the Bristol 'L' is a letter that is only ever attached to the end of a word; indeed among students of Bristolian it is sometimes referred to as the 'terminal L'. The skill in applying it lies in the native knowledge of those words which are in danger of letting dust in - for the terminal L's purpose is to exclude dust where it might otherwise penetrate and cause damage. There is never any potential for particulate ingress in the middle of a word, so UNDERLGROUND is just not possible.

Maybe it would help to consider this shibboleth: "Eva Turner, prima donna of the Carl Rosa Opera". To a native it is a simple manner to assign L's as required; I'm sure all Bristol folk would agree that "Evil Turner, primal donnal of the Carol Rosal operal" sounds much better. A foreigner, maybe someone from north of Olveston or east of Keynsham, would almost certainly reveal themselves by applying the L to 'Turner', creating a vile chimera along the lines of "Turnall" or, worse, "Turnerl". The apparent gender reassignment (from Carl to Carol) is actually nothing more than a misunderstanding - it is simply the logical consequence of actually pronouncing the letter R, rather than dropping it as RP speakers insist on doing.

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 20:43:51 »

I sense the need for some elucidation: In linguistic terms (let's not get sidetracked by the excellent products of Bristol Commercial Vehicles Ltd) the Bristol 'L' is a letter that is only ever attached to the end of a word; indeed among students of Bristolian it is sometimes referred to as the 'terminal L'. The skill in applying it lies in the native knowledge of those words which are in danger of letting dust in - for the terminal L's purpose is to exclude dust where it might otherwise penetrate and cause damage. There is never any potential for particulate ingress in the middle of a word, so UNDERLGROUND is just not possible.

Maybe it would help to consider this shibboleth: "Eva Turner, prima donna of the Carl Rosa Opera". To a native it is a simple manner to assign L's as required; I'm sure all Bristol folk would agree that "Evil Turner, primal donnal of the Carol Rosal operal" sounds much better. A foreigner, maybe someone from north of Olveston or east of Keynsham, would almost certainly reveal themselves by applying the L to 'Turner', creating a vile chimera along the lines of "Turnall" or, worse, "Turnerl". The apparent gender reassignment (from Carl to Carol) is actually nothing more than a misunderstanding - it is simply the logical consequence of actually pronouncing the letter R, rather than dropping it as RP speakers insist on doing.

Arsel exceteral exceteral  Grin.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 20:59:58 by Western Pathfinder » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 21:19:12 »

Seems to be Bristol's attempt at beating Oxford's MAGLEV that was suggested by the County Council last year.....
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 21:49:53 »

Where exactly are these spare tunnels that no-one else has ever thought of using, Marvin?
[/quote]

I know of two. Their usefulness is the question. One runs from near Temple Meads towards the new cut which I understand is used as a shooting range. Another (I think) runs by the Portway from near the Clifton Rocks Railway to somewhere near the Clifton Down Tunnel portal in the gorge. Now, with some imagination, could these be useful?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 22:07:41 by johnneyw » Logged
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 21:54:39 »

Bet that Evil Turnerl prima donnal of the Carol Rosal Operal company was appearing in Cavalieral Rusticanal..... or perhaps Aidal. She had two daughters Idle and Normal.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 22:27:08 by chuffed » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 22:10:53 »

I know of two. There usefulness is the question. One runs from near Temple Meads towards the new cut which I understand is used as a shooting range. Another (I think) runs by the Portway from near the Clifton Rocks Railway to somewhere near the Clifton Down Tunnel portal in the gorge. Now, with some imagination, could these be useful?

There is also a tunnel from Bristol City Centre Landing Stage to somewhere near Rupert Street.  Useful route in the centre; I question its usefulness unless the underground is to be boat rather than rail or road based.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: