I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:23:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Channel 5: Paddington, 24/7: September 11, 2017
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Channel 5 series - Paddington Station 24/7, starting 11 September 2017  (Read 50643 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2018, 21:19:28 »

Trolleyed in my case.

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2018, 22:03:37 »

Will there be a buffet, or at-seat catering only?

Best ask Broadgage........on second thoughts, best not......he'll only just be getting into his stride on the subject when the programme finishes! ☺
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2018, 10:48:33 »

Two things from last nights events
Am intrigued why the series is even using the name Paddington as more and more of it is filmed elsewhere on the network

The chap that dived under the barrier to run onto the track, nobody seemed to be interested in the fact he left a large back pack on the ground as he ran away - to me that would / should have been an equal priority?
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2018, 13:19:46 »

more of it is filmed elsewhere on the network

It is, and maybe the title is therefore a bit misleading, but there is a lot going on elsewhere on the network.

For example, good to see some coverage of the OHLE going up on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) in last night's episode.

nobody seemed to be interested in the fact he left a large back pack on the ground as he ran away

You'd like to think they were, the shot cut away after a few seconds. For someone to pick it up/start looking in it immediately might also not be the best course of action.

Had to chuckle a bit at the IET (Intercity Express Train) driver commenting about how he always arrives early.

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2018, 16:56:54 »

The trailer for next week suggests the “lack of train crew” and consequent cancellations will feature
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2018, 17:04:05 »

The trailer for next week suggests the “lack of train crew” and consequent cancellations will feature
Does GWR (Great Western Railway) not get a say as to what’s shown and what is not? Next week’s program might not look to good for them. Or maybe it gives them chance to explain why there’s been a shortage of crew.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2018, 18:32:28 »

Does GWR (Great Western Railway) not get a say as to what’s shown and what is not? Next week’s program might not look to good for them. Or maybe it gives them chance to explain why there’s been a shortage of crew.

Let's hope the true picture shines through. If GWR were allowed to censor it can you imagine what a dull , sycophantic programme it would be?
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2018, 21:32:01 »

If GWR (Great Western Railway) were allowed to censor it

Based on last nights episode and the ranting, almost hysterical, middle-aged lady at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) bemoaning their lack of Customer service, one would imagine not.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2018, 23:34:01 »

She was complaining about the lack of customer service, despite having just been helped through a ticketing problem and the gates by a GWR (Great Western Railway) customer services assistant!

I suspect that Channel 5 deliberately set out to portray this. First she gets great customer service. Then she complains about customer service. There are some people who will complain, whatever happens, because that is in their mind set.

Well done Channel Five, for showing the reality of life in the front line.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2018, 00:35:47 »

The ranters and ravers make for good telly.

The hundreds of passengers let down by GWR (Great Western Railway) on a daily basis, who are quietly resigned to their fate, don't make for good telly.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 14:38:50 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2018, 07:11:27 »

They should film in the control room at Swindon, where GWR (Great Western Railway) announce 5 vice 10 services. It would be a great laugh in the offices.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 16:13:35 by CharlieGCR » Logged
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2018, 10:13:16 »

She was complaining about the lack of customer service, despite having just been helped through a ticketing problem and the gates by a GWR (Great Western Railway) customer services assistant!

Or there was more to her problems than what were shown?
There was clearly the start of the conversation missing, as the lady said she has been told one thing and then told another
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2018, 18:09:17 »

They should film in the control room at Swindon, where GWR (Great Western Railway) announce 5 vice 10 services. It would be a great laugh in the offices.

I have seen previous film of the control room at Swindon during difficult periods and it produced sympathy for the staff working in very difficult circumstances not of their own making. I was not in the least tempted to laugh.

It is easy to believe that all the staff are conspiring to make our lives as difficult as possible, but the truth is far from that.  Even the examples of bad attitudes by some staff may sometimes be the result of people pushed beyond their tether.

Please also remember that some staff go to unexpected levels (in one example recently discussed on this forum heroic levels) to provide good customer service in difficult circumstances. 
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2018, 20:03:56 »

I have seen previous film of the control room at Swindon during difficult periods and it produced sympathy for the staff working in very difficult circumstances not of their own making. I was not in the least tempted to laugh.

It is easy to believe that all the staff are conspiring to make our lives as difficult as possible, but the truth is far from that.  Even the examples of bad attitudes by some staff may sometimes be the result of people pushed beyond their tether.

Please also remember that some staff go to unexpected levels (in one example recently discussed on this forum heroic levels) to provide good customer service in difficult circumstances. 

I was making a mere joke about how frequent 5 vice 10 happens and as in reality shows they watch people through cameras. I was comparing such circumstance to a fictional TV show storyline, not hard working environments.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2018, 22:33:04 »

Re: Channel 5 series - Paddington Station 24/7, starting 11 September 2017
« Reply #72 on: Today at 06:09:17 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote
Quote from: CharlieGCR on Today at 07:11:27 am

To be fair, one of the major sources of annoyance during meltdown incidents is the lack of communication between "Control" (which always strikes me as a name invented by John Le Carre) and the travelling public. When you are stuck on a train which is going nowhere, whose train crew tell you that Control, l cannot  tell them what is happening, Journey Check has a list of red "Delayeds" but no further explanation, and if you get through to the helpline 03457 000125 to be told you cannot be told what is happening because they cannot speak to Control, then sympathy for them wears thin.

I appreciate that the individuals have to work in the system set up by their employer. But GWR seem to forget that they are delivering a service to their passengers, and they really should prioritorise getting information out to them.

I do not tune into the Channel 5 series regularly. If I have just got home after a long day at work and an unsatisfactory journey home (especially if it has included an unwanted 25 minutes stranded in Reading because a connection has been missed), I do not have much appetite to watch this on television. However when I have caught it, a running theme seems to be various people in  the system not knowing what is going on when problems occur.  There does seem to be a communications problem, with Control at the heart of it. There is a challenge for GWR (or, I expect, the railway industry as a whole) to address.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: