No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
20:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 21:38:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Easements (revisited?)  (Read 3569 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 06, 2017, 08:41:41 »

An "Easement" is an exception to the routing guide for tickets - where following the general rules laid down for which routes can be followed has been officially judged to be a bit silly. 

For example,

Customers travelling Southampton Airport Parkway and North thereof to Bitterne and beyond may double back between St Denys and Southampton Central. This easement applies both directions.

allows passengers from Southampton Airport to places like Hamble to change trains at Southampton Central, even though the it would be a shorter journey if they changed at St Denys, where the lines from Southampton Airport and Hamble come together for the final couple of miles into Central.  The easement make sense, because lots of trains don't call at St Denys and making people change there could result in some very long waits, but the general rules don't allow passengers to go back and forth over the same line.

The list of easements is at http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/files/easements.pdf if you want to take a look; although it refers to updates (which occur from time to time), there's no date on this file.  I would appreciate if someone with industry knowledge could let me know if it's the current version (and if not, where I can find the current version!)

Another sensible one:

Journeys from Castle Cary, Bruton and Frome to Pewsey and beyond may travel via Westbury. This easement applies in both directions.

Allows passengers from the Somerset end of the Berks and Hants to change at Westbury for Pewsey.  Through trains are allowed anyway, but as Westbury station is off the direct line, using a Weymouth line local into Westbury and changing there wouldn't be allowed without the easement.

Be aware that there are some negative easements ...

Customers travelling from Castle Cary to Bristol Temple Meads and beyond may not travel via Taunton. This easement applies in both directions.

Customers travelling from Edinburgh to Wellingborough may not travel via London St Pancras. This easement applies in both directions.

Customers travelling from London to Heysham Port may not travel via Douglas Isle of Man. This easements applies in both directions.

700042 here is disappointing - to my untutored  view, it would seem to be perfectly reasonable for people from Castle Cary to be allowed one stop to Taunton, then 1 stop on an express to get them into Bristol.   Far quicker than a through but infrequent and local train with 9 intermediate stops.

Some easements have me scratching my head - seemingly allowing things that are pretty darned obvious.  Are they there just to fix flaws in the way the general rules are set out, or have I missed something?

Journeys from Melksham via Bedwyn may travel via Westbury. This easement applies in both directions.

Journeys to or from South Greenford, Castle Bar Park, Drayton Green, Hanwell, Acton Mainline, Ealing Broadway, West Ealing, Hayes and Harlington and West Drayton to Reading and beyond may travel via Slough. This easement applies in both directions.

Journeys from Moreton in Marsh, Kingham, Shipton, Ascott under Wychwood, Charlbury, Finstock, Combe and Hanborough to Reading and beyond may travel via Oxford. This easement applies in both directions.

Journeys from Charlbury, Finstock, Combe and Hanborough to station north of Banbury may travel via Oxford. This easement applies in both directions.

Journeys from Totnes, Paignton, Torquay, Torre, Newton Abbot, Teignmouth, Dawlish, Dawlish Warren and Starcross to stations north of Tiverton Parkway may travel via Exeter St David's. This easement applies in both directions.

Customer travelling to stations on the Marlow and Henley on Thames lines via Didcot Parkway may travel via Reading. This easement applies in both directions.

Customers travelling via Norwich using fares routed Irish Ferries may travel via Norwich.

I can't imagine - 30046 - how you could get from south of Exeter St. David's to north of Exeter St David's without passing through Exeter St Davids!

Suggestion - if you make a journey where you feel that the journey you're making is awkward due to railway geography or timetabling,  search the easements and see if someone's been there before and added an exception to the rules in for you.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:57:59 »

The list of easements is at http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/files/easements.pdf if you want to take a look; although it refers to updates (which occur from time to time), there's no date on this file.  I would appreciate if someone with industry knowledge could let me know if it's the current version (and if not, where I can find the current version!)

I'll be surprised if that's the current list - atoc doesn't exist any more - you need to be looking at the Rail Delivery Group website which superceded ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here).

Be aware that there are some negative easements ...

Customers travelling from Castle Cary to Bristol Temple Meads and beyond may not travel via Taunton. This easement applies in both directions.

700042 here is disappointing - to my untutored  view, it would seem to be perfectly reasonable for people from Castle Cary to be allowed one stop to Taunton, then 1 stop on an express to get them into Bristol.   Far quicker than a through but infrequent and local train with 9 intermediate stops.

Would be far more expensive too, and likely involve XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) for some journeys. Maybe they couldn't agree a fare/fare split?

Suggestion - if you make a journey where you feel that the journey you're making is awkward due to railway geography or timetabling,  search the easements and see if someone's been there before and added an exception to the rules in for you.

The easements are all programmed into the route planners, so putting your journey into one of those will give you all the permutations available.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 09:33:43 »

ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) still exists, at least as a server for the routeing guide in text format. (RDG(resolve) handles the data feeds for it.) The current easements text file (dated 1/9/2017) is at http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/easement_text.pdf.

PS: The routeing guide front page is at http://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide, which links to the various files. As you can see, these are really served from elsewhere, so data.toc.org is now just a link page (and atoc.org redirects to raildeliverygroup.com).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:09:30 by stuving » Logged
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:56:29 »

I am looking for NFM (National Fares Manual) 28 (Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) Traveller) from that page as well, but it's not there yet (well, yesterday when I checked).
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 10:08:23 »

I am looking for NFM (National Fares Manual) 28 (Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) Traveller) from that page as well, but it's not there yet (well, yesterday when I checked).
My copy of Avantix Traveller has stopped working - it displays a message saying

This app can't run on your PC
    To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.

I'm running Windows 10, but I've had the compatibility settings set toWindows 8 for this program - and it's been working happily up to now. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 10:14:55 »

I'm running Windows 7, which isn't much help.

Oracle VirtualBox could help though. I use it to run a few VMs for backwards compatibility, if your PC is decent-ish you should be OK.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 12:57:22 »

Journeys from Castle Cary, Bruton and Frome to Pewsey and beyond may travel via Westbury. This easement applies in both directions.
I presume this is an easement because of the Westbury avoiding line. But how is the non-geeky traveller supposed to know about the existence of such a thing? To most passengers, Westbury will simply be the next station after Frome before Pewsey.

More generally, I'm wondering about "via". To me it simply means "travelling through this place" but perhaps it has a specific railway usage for changing trains at a particular station?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 13:15:57 »

A lot of these blindingly obvious examples are labelled as "Routeing Point" easements. In principle that means it corrects a quirk in the set-up of station groups and routeing points in the guide which gives funny results. However, I suspect that a lot of these have now been fixed, but no-one has bothered to take out the easement as it does no harm - well, actually it has no effect at all.

My understanding as that, unlike the other parts of the Routeing Guide, the easements exist as independent text and code (for ticketing engines to use). Presumably any such fossilised ones must survive in both forms, since otherwise it would to very easy to remove the text ones. But you'd need to be familiar with the data feeds to know that (which I'm not).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 14:03:57 »

Another sensible one:

Allows passengers from the Somerset end of the Berks and Hants to change at Westbury for Pewsey.  Through trains are allowed anyway, but as Westbury station is off the direct line, using a Weymouth line local into Westbury and changing there wouldn't be allowed without the easement.

It appears sensible, but is only necessary for the programming of booking engines. The Routeing Guide already allows the route without consulting the Easements section. For example, Bruton to Pewsey via Westbury is a mapped route. No need to look for an easement.

Also, for east<->west routeing purposes, Westbury is a single routeing point covering both the station and avoiding line. 

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 16:53:22 »

What are Club 55 products?

Customers travelling from Mortimer and Bramley via Newbury and in possession of Club 55 products, may travel via Reading West. This easement applies in both directions

From http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/easement_text.pdf.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 18:56:46 »

What are Club 55 products?

Customers travelling from Mortimer and Bramley via Newbury and in possession of Club 55 products, may travel via Reading West. This easement applies in both directions

From http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/easement_text.pdf.

Club 55 are or have been promotional tickets for almost-oldies run at various times by some TOCs (Train Operating Company). Scotrail have done this more than once, but now have Club 50 (20% off, but you have to join). ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC)) were offering some return tickets for £26 earlier this year as "Club 55".

The easement is both historical (been there since 2012 if not before) and weird - covering the quirks, I'm sure.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 20:22:07 »

I remember Canadian Club, but I thought it was Britvic 55?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 20:31:16 »

FGW (First Great Western) as was, took part on occasion too
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: