09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 09:52:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Summary of upcoming changes  (Read 4208 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 07, 2017, 12:42:55 »

From my TravelWatch SouthWest montage ... I wrote LONG on this one. See (here) on Facebook

Class 800  at Stoke Gifford.  We are about to see the biggest change in trains across the South West for a very long time indeed.

Our 40 year old High Speed Trains are to be replaced by class 800 and class 802 super-expresses, which can operate on both electric and diesel traction, changing over while on the move if required. The lines from London Paddington are being electrified - electric power is already available to Maidenhead and it will extend in the next couple of months to Didcot, then later via Swindon and Bristol Parkway to Cardiff, from Reading to Newbury, and from Swindon to just west of Chippenham (Thingley Junction) where the power's fed up from the National Grid at Melksham.   The picture shows one of the first class 800 trains to be delivered in the new depot; currently under test, first passenger service is scheduled to be the 06:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London on 16th October.

Electrification of the lines from Paddington means new electric trains there, and releases the diesel trains that have got a few years life left in them yet to us in the South West. That will allow both the strengthening of some or our busiest services, and the release of trains which are end-of-life in the area.

However, the story - or life - isn't as simple as that.

The new class 800 and 802 trains are going to be quicker point to point on electricity, and potentially slower on diesel.  Stations stops won't need to be as long as they'll have electric doors rather that prolonged closure procedures. They'll be in 5 and 9 carriage formats, allowing splitting and joining of trains along the way. And the carriages are longer, so that there are works to be done to get them round some corners, and places where those works are impractically expensive for the few HST (High Speed Train) trains that used to go on the route.

The class 165 and 166 units being released from the Thames Valley are in 2 and 3 car formations (versus 1 2 and 3), with top speeds of 90 m.p.h. versus 75 m.p.h., and acceleration and braking systems designed for fast start / stop between close stations, rather than longer runs with speed restrictions along the way. And at present the 16x units have only a very limited selective door capability. And whereas the current "West" fleet (143, 150/1, 150/2, 153 and 158) can all work in multiple with each other, the future fleet (150/2, 158, 165, 166, short form HST) will be three distinctly different train types for coupling.  Like the 800 and 802 in replacing the HST, line clearance work needs to be done for 16x trains in The West, and in some places that may not be sensible.

Have I got you concerned at complexity already?

With trains faster in some sections of their routes and possibly slower in others, timetables need to be rewritten.  There would be public outrage if faster trains were run slower that possible, or waited at stations for longer, to avoid a timetable change.   But as soon as you change the timetable, you start breaking connections and creating new conflicting movements over junctions.  Yes, it would be great for the 08:00 Paddington to Paignton to be 8 minutes earlier at Westbury and 15 minutes earlier by Paignton, bust if that means that it leaves Westbury 2 minutes before the connecting train from Swindon arrives rather that 6 minutes after, you're going to have some very unhappy customers indeed.   All these consequences need looking at and planning in detail.

With the coming of (more) turbo trains - class 165 and 166 - to the Bristol area from 1st January 2018, class 153 and 150/2 should move further west, together with most of the class 158; some of those will remain on "the Brighton"s and on services from Cardiff to and via Taunton. Two cars will be enormously welcome replacing single car 153s on certain services, but will cause platform issues at places like Swindon where two trains (a 1 and a 2 car) currently share the 3 car bay platform.

During 2018, long distance services will gradually change over from HST to 80x operation, with a timetable to suit both.  Then the timetable for 2019 will be revised to take advantage of the extra trains and running time improvements possible with the 80x trains.  So that's a further set of interactions and connections to be considered.  No easy task for GWR (Great Western Railway), or for other train companies sharing the lines.

TravelWatch SouthWest is listening to its members to help ensure that excellent inputs are made from its board and technical experts to GWR early in the timetabling process.  Not everything will be able to connect with everything (just as it can't at present), and we probably can't expect every train to have seats available for all on every journey it makes - but we can help make those little tuning suggestions that will make a big difference, and we provide (and are providing) inputs to the next franchising process to help in the specification of services which are what's needed / required / wanted for the 2020s.

Picture 29 in the montage of 30 which show the areas of interest of TravelWatch SouthWest (TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website)). TWSW is a social enterprise company which acts as an advocate for passengers to lobby for the improvement of public transport in the region and works closely with local authorities, business organisations, partnerships and other stakeholder groups. This is one of a series of pictures illustrating the wide range of public transport interest across the South West. See https://www.facebook.com/events/1858736087728344 for our next general meeting at which all groups are welcome (but please book ahead).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 13:03:11 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 13:56:16 »

And at present the 16x units have only a very limited selective door capability.

Can you clarify this? AIUI (as I understand it), very limited, i.e. none at all.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 14:09:55 »

And at present the 16x units have only a very limited selective door capability.

Can you clarify this? AIUI (as I understand it), very limited, i.e. none at all.

AIUI, a set of doors can be locked out of use at the station prior to the shorter platform.  So the 2 car 17:36 from Swindon to Westbury (sorry, I'm a dreamer) will have the rear doors on the second carriage disabled before it leave Chippenham, so that 3 sets rather that 4 open at Melksham.   When it gets to Trowbridge, those doors can be brought t back into use.   Like I say, very limited and not to be encouraged as a permanent arrangement.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 14:16:51 »

Would this be with DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) or a guard?

Currently with DOO, a whole rear unit can be locked out  and unlocked part way through a journey - cf the 0608 BAN-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) that starts off locked out and unlocked at DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains). I don't think they are allowed to lock out a single coach & allow pax to use that coach, hence a whole unit being locked out.

The Cotswold all-station stopper, prior to being a 180, *had* to be a two-car unit & wasn't allowed to be a 3car turbo as a couple of stations are 2car platforms - this bears out my understanding. And this train ran with a guard.

So whole units can be locked out, but not individual coaches on turbos, methinks
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 14:20:00 »

Turbo doors can physically be locked out of use individually, but GWR (Great Western Railway)'s operating procedures don't allow it as a short-platform fix in passenger service, AIUI (as I understand it).

I believe they can also be opened individually by a guard standing at those doors - i.e. "local door operation". Operating procedure doesn't permit this either (on Turbos, that is), and I'm not sure why.

I have travelled on the Oxfordshire Halts train when it's been formed of a 3-coach unit, but that was probably highly irregular!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 15:25:18 »

That's spot on, Richard.

I've never understood why, in exceptional circumstances, there can't be an arrangement where the guard locally opens one set of doors from the outside.  It would cause delays so shouldn't happen under normal working, but it the case of a stop at somewhere like Shipton on the odd occasion a turbo replaces a 180 it would be useful.  Probably soon academic though with new stock on the way.

You can only run a turbo in service with part of it locked out (indeed any unit with no UEG (Unit End Gangway)) if there is access to the emergency equipment cupboard.  Hence why it's just simpler to lock the whole unit up in the cases that ChrisB has described.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 15:43:40 »

You can't open the doors from the outside if they're locked out of use from the inside?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 15:57:48 »

Not if they're physically locked shut on a Turbo, no.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 16:12:01 »

I've never understood why, in exceptional circumstances, there can't be an arrangement where the guard locally opens one set of doors from the outside. 

That'll be why then. They are physically locked shut.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 21:52:47 »

There must be differing arrangements for turbos and 143s.  As I understand it a set of doors is locked out at Eggesford when a pair of 143s is diagrammed.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 22:46:39 »

I've never understood why, in exceptional circumstances, there can't be an arrangement where the guard locally opens one set of doors from the outside. 

That'll be why then. They are physically locked shut.

Misunderstanding there, Chris.

If a Turbo door is physically locked shut by staff when a carriage is locked out of use then they can't be opened externally.  If they are just locked shut in that the driver hasn't opened them with their door controls from within the cab, then they can be opened externally by using the 'butterfly' switch on the outside.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 10:05:32 »

No misunderstanding here. The instances I refer to, the doors are physically licked shut by the driver prior to departure and they then have to return to each set of doors and phyically unlock them. Hence they can't be opened by any guard, even if they were on the train.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 10:17:34 »

We were discussing a 3-car train serving Shipton, where no part is locked out of use, but all doors can't be accommodated on the platform.  In that case the doors aren't physically licked locked shut by anyone, so a guard could in theory exit the train from one of the cabs and open a local door from the outside, so the train could still stop.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 10:21:10 »

No misunderstanding here. The instances I refer to, the doors are physically licked shut by the driver prior to departure and they then have to return to each set of doors and phyically unlock them. Hence they can't be opened by any guard, even if they were on the train.

Well I really spilt my coffee when I read that.....
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 10:32:54 »

We were discussing a 3-car train serving Shipton, where no part is locked out of use, but all doors can't be accommodated on the platform.  In that case the doors aren't physically licked locked shut by anyone, so a guard could in theory exit the train from one of the cabs and open a local door from the outside, so the train could still stop.

This would never happen as GWR (Great Western Railway) won't allow a 3car turbo on the stopper.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: