Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:49:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Draft IEP Timetables Dec18/Jan19  (Read 17573 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 18:59:24 »

Good point, although I had it in my head the part about running fast to Exeter, and was considering Tiverton as
the intermediate stations between EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) and PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 21:20:18 »

How could I forget Tiverton !

So, fast Paddington to Taunton.  Split Taunton with front unit then fast to PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) for all stations to PNZ, with the rear unit all stations to PLY.

I wonder what the journey time would be ?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 21:34:14 »

Can't see that - major flow EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)-PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) will sant to travel on the faster service
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 20:38:28 »

Every 2 hours Paddington - Reading - Theale - Newbury - Stations to Pewsey - Westbury - Castle Cary - Taunton - Exeter (some extensions, Paignton and / or Plymouth)

Also Paddington - Reading - key stations via Newbury to Bedwyn to make services to Bedwyn hourly overall.

Is that definite rather than the semi-fast just calling at Newbury, Pewsey, Westbury, Castle Cary, Taunton and Exeter with an hourly Bedwyn service continuing to run as now?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 21:22:36 »

Every 2 hours Paddington - Reading - Theale - Newbury - Stations to Pewsey - Westbury - Castle Cary - Taunton - Exeter (some extensions, Paignton and / or Plymouth)

Also Paddington - Reading - key stations via Newbury to Bedwyn to make services to Bedwyn hourly overall.

Is that definite rather than the semi-fast just calling at Newbury, Pewsey, Westbury, Castle Cary, Taunton and Exeter with an hourly Bedwyn service continuing to run as now?

Not sure of structure east of Pewsey; Bedwyn should get hourly - may be hourly turn back, or alternate turn backs;

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 16:58:13 »

Recently I have started an awareness exercise in Frome concerning the new IET (Intercity Express Train)/IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) timetables and the opportunities this may present to improve services at Frome. Two of the local newspapers have recently published my letter and the text is shown below.

Many of us are aware that there are operational issues linked with Frome calls. Not least of these is that the current plans (apparently) require the down semi-fasts to arrive in Taunton just ahead of the fast service, for connectional purposes (and presumably equivalent for up services). However, the issue should be given a reasonable consideration and response. The MP (Member of Parliament) for Somerton and Frome is an active rail campaigner and supports these suggestions. We will meet later in November to discuss further.

Future Train Services at Frome
Readers may be aware that the (now partial) Great Western Railway electrification scheme will be completed in 2018. The timetables will be completely revised in late 2018 and this will affect the Frome/Westbury areas.  The draft timetables are in advanced planning but not yet in the public domain.
Information from various sources show the proposed GWR (Great Western Railway) service patterns as they affect this region are:
1.   Every hour- fast service London to/from the West Country, calling at Reading and Taunton.
2.   (Generally) Every two hours - semi-fast service London to/from Exeter, calling at Newbury, Pewsey, Westbury, Castle Cary and Taunton.
The morning and evening commuter services between Frome and London are retained but the afternoon service will likely disappear. Under these plans Frome will generally be served by connections at Westbury in/out of Heart of Wessex trains similar to the current arrangements.
These major timetable revisions accompanying the introduction of new rolling stock represent an opportunity to try to put Frome more firmly back on the inter-city map, with improved direct services to London and importantly, greater connectivity within Somerset to Taunton.
We must ask anyone with lobbying influence to strongly recommend that “some of” the semi-fast services call at Frome. It must be noted that there are time penalties and other technical issues associated with calling at Frome so that practicalities may just prevail – but it is definitely worth a serious ask. Wider thinking might consider the use of skip-stop working for certain services or an extension of some services which will otherwise terminate at Bedwyn, Wilts.
Separately, South Western Railway have recently published (for comment) their draft timetable for December 2018. The services to/from Frome are slightly enhanced and include an early morning service to London Waterloo and a late afternoon return.
It is not clear if there will be any public consultation on the GWR timetables but I plan to circulate this information more widely and anyone interested should try to influence a positive outcome.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 18:29:07 »

2. You forgot Tiverton Parkway.

Also, I'm not not sure skip stopping on a service every 2 hours would be welcomed at stations due to be served every two hours. Skip stopping would mean a service once in a 4-hour period
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 19:33:09 »

2. You forgot Tiverton Parkway.

I thought Tiverton was being served by the hourly fasts, and not by the two hourly semi-fasts.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 21:09:57 »

As the thread is already here I won’t start a new one unless required by mods.

It’s closer to the time now (nearly 1 year) and I wonder what the situation with the timetables are. What’s still expected across whole network, will this still be delivered in January (as suggested by GWR (Great Western Railway) themselves) and what will be the situation with extended IET (Intercity Express Train) journeys replacing stoppers (e.g Cheltenham, will peaks still be local or in addition to?)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 22:05:43 »

First bid & response has been received by GWR (Great Western Railway),second round started I understand. In front of where they were in the May round timewise
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 22:10:29 »

Over to Network Rail then...  Oh dear!  Undecided  Mind you is this the full timetable recast or are ambitions being scaled back a little in favour of a staged approach?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 07:59:25 »

I think the former(currently)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 10:57:07 »

Over to Network Rail then...  Oh dear!  Undecided  Mind you is this the full timetable recast or are ambitions being scaled back a little in favour of a staged approach?

What would staging look like? Would it be working out the full new timetable, then leaving out a few trains (or at least identifying which they are) if you suspect initial problems? Doing that obviously needs to work in terms of diagrams and rostering, but that's GWR (Great Western Railway)'s job and they ought to be getting good at sorting that out by now. By problems I mean e.g. stock or staff numbers, or reliability of pushing the full tph in and out of Paddington.

The effect of that might be less pretty, in terms of even intervals, interconnections, etc. than a complete new Working Timetable for each stage. However, it does allow for reintroduction of services as and when rather than only May and December. Plus of course the shortage of effort for fully planning all the fiddly bits of a WTT (Working Time-Table) means doing two or three probably isn't possible anyway.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2018, 12:26:58 »

Both service reliability and staffing levels might be good reasons not to introduce everything at once.  New timetables always take a little time to bed in, and as we have seen at GTR and Northern major changes can go badly wrong.  We're not at all sure exactly when electrification will be available to Cardiff either.  The obvious candidate to bring in afterwards is the extra 2tph planned to run between Paddington and Bristol via Bristol Parkway as few adjustments would be needed to introduce them later - possibly a couple of extra stops at Bristol Parkway and Swindon on some of the other trains to compensate, if the original timetable iteration is still being pursued.  Two 'spare' paths between Paddington and Didcot each hour would mean a little breathing space for everything else to settle in, and you would then have those paths free to introduce the extras whenever you feel confident enough to do so.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2018, 20:54:34 »

I have just been told that it is being put back until December 2019. I seriously  can’t process this and how annoyed I am.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: