17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
08:35 Banbury to Didcot Parkway
Delayed
06:44 Exeter St Davids to Cardiff Central
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 09:19:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[105] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[59] Where have I been?
[58] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Further restriction on off peak tickets  (Read 4812 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 13:49:37 »

It was the 'by stealth' I wasn't exactly defending, but referring to.

All sorts of companies do it, and very few get called on it. Toblerone I thonk was the last one? But washing powder/liquid has recently seen boxes/bottles shrink & I've yet to see any comment anywhere.

I agree with BNM about tickets purchased in advance of the change. They must remain valid. I'm not sure many though would have the courage to fight the non-mention on NRE(resolve)'s website of a change to a validity code. Frankly, they ought to set up a new code for new sales, then there could be no arguments. But how many even know that NRE's website is the arbiter of validities? (Mind you, where does it say this, BNM?)

This presumably came in at the September fares change point? (which would have been Sunday 3rd?)

However. If tickets purchased prior to the rise date are still valid, how other than posters do they announce the rise?
Any shop would simply change the price tag. Online, this will have happened with the fares no longer available being not shown since the rise and the new price is displayed. Ditto on TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine). Presumably the same at ticket offices.

Similarly, no shop/airline gives advance notice of rises, prices simply change. So why do we expect rail to be different? Serious Q.

There's actually been quite a lot of discussion about shrinkflation in the media.

As to the last question, with shops and airlines you usually have a choice as to where you take your custom, and indeed in most cases whether you even have to make the purchase/journey.  With rail you very rarely have a choice of supplier, and the railways are a public service, albeit in part privatised. So it does command a bit of a monopoly, and thus I believe is in a different position.

But little difference to airlines (mostly privatised, but not quite all)

Indeed, their prices can change from one hour to the next.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 14:07:43 »

Make of that what you will. AFAICS (As Far As I Can See), the only train leaving PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) for SWI» (Swindon - next trains) after 08:10 and not after 09:00 is the 08:30 to Bristol, for which Journey Planner does indeed not off offer an SVR to Swindon.

Usually every 15 mins, but not currently because of the Bristol Parkway closure.  The 0815, 0830 and 0845 are affected by this change.

To come back to ChrisB's point, I see there is a huge difference with airlines.  Rail journeys are typically used by millions of people going about their day to day lives, and many of those are essential journeys.  Most people will make at most a couple of scheduled flights a year for personal (i.e. not business use).   
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 14:27:00 »

A 09:29 restriction from Didcot actually means that the first direct fast train to London available on an off-peak return isn't until 10:03, which is also the first on which a Network card is valid.

However, at least at the moment, in the system off-peak day returns remain valid on the 09:16 and 09:29, restriction code P7.

A right recipe for confusion that one. One train timetabled excluded from off peak returns by being bang on the new restriction time. The earlier one a turbo starting from Oxford which I have never experienced being remotely full. Some off-peak tickets being valid, others not on the same train, ticketed from the same station.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 15:34:52 »

I noticed at Paddington this evening a notice advising that the earliest departure for off peak tickets has been pushed back 45 mins from 0815 to 0900.

This seems a significant variation. Are there no restrictions on TOCS as to when off peak fares are valid, so that over time they can continue to be reduced?

Do you remember the actual wording of that notice? Or has someone else seen it? I suspect it might not mean what everyone has assumed.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 15:46:00 »

Those are the only items I can see for travel from Paddington applying today, among many for other cases.

Aha, well spotted.

So the new later cut-off time (seemingly 08.48 from Paddington) has been applied in the "Unpublished Restrictions" machine-readable section of the fare definition, as visible on BRFares; but not on the public-facing plain English version, as visible on nationalrail.co.uk.

That is nuts. Absolutely nuts. Publishing the restrictions on nr.co.uk was meant to make fares more transparent... it makes them less clear if the restrictions published on nr.co.uk aren't actually the ones being applied.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 15:59:10 »

I noticed at Paddington this evening a notice advising that the earliest departure for off peak tickets has been pushed back 45 mins from 0815 to 0900.

This seems a significant variation. Are there no restrictions on TOCS as to when off peak fares are valid, so that over time they can continue to be reduced?

Do you remember the actual wording of that notice? Or has someone else seen it? I suspect it might not mean what everyone has assumed.
No, I don't. But looking online at booking engines it's clear that my interpretation is correct in that you used to be able to travel off peak at 0815 and now you have to wait until 0900.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 20:54:46 »

Another fare increase by stealth  Angry

As forecast by my crystal ball. In the long running thread about the new trains, someone remarked upon the great cost of these new units and enquired as to by how much fares would rise to recoup these costs.
An advocate of the new trains stated that there would be no increases beyond the usual inflation linked fare increases.

I stated that I expected a lot of "hidden" fare increases to pay for the very expensive DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit). In particular I forecast tinkering with validity times of off peak tickets.
So the fare increases might be held to say 3% for regulated fares, but for some customers who need to travel at a certain time, the increase might in fact be 50% or more.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 21:33:14 »

Another fare increase by stealth  Angry

... the increase might in fact be 50% or more.
Or even +117%.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 10:06:08 »

Indeed, 117% in some cases.
I expect more of this sort of thing. Not just altering the off peak times, but also timetable tweaks so as bring more popular trains into the peak.
If for example arrival into London before 10-00 is ruled peak, then any trains arriving just after 10-00 could be re timed to arrive just before 10-00. This of course is not a fare increase, but a demonstration of the splendid performance of the new trains. "An earlier arrival into London, in line with customer expectations"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 13:26:40 »

Hmmmm - there are only so many paths/platforms available (longer trains, remember, so stacking is less likely) in a given 15min period.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: