10:03 London Paddington to Penzance
11:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 14:12:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Service meltdown - advice is to use other means to travel  (Read 35927 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2017, 12:44:30 »

Don't think any staff have transferred to Crossrail yet (don't think anyone operationally from anywhere has yet, other than the TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail drivers working out of Liverpool Street?), though a lot at Paddington where the majority of the 387 training has been concentrated on have moved from the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) sector to HSS (High Speed Services) (the salary difference has now risen to circa £8k for an easier job, so you can't blame them!).  That should allow the IET (Intercity Express Train) training to not leave HSS so short, but at the expense of LTV services perhaps?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2017, 14:34:56 »

For the record the services affected are:

16:33 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:32 Westbury to Swindon
19:36 Swindon to Westbury

All due to a lack of guards.

17:36 now re-instated
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2017, 14:45:08 »

For the record the services affected are:

16:33 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:32 Westbury to Swindon
19:36 Swindon to Westbury

All due to a lack of guards.

17:36 now re-instated

Thank goodness ...

a) How on earth have they managed to do that - but THANK YOU if you're one of the ones who has done it for us.

b) I wonder how many Swindon fans have already planned not to travel by train

c) I'm aware we have very few Stevenage fans in Melksham ;-)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2017, 14:49:21 »

I'm guessing - but as the 16:33 from Westbury is still shown as cancelled a driver will be bringing the unit up empty stock from Westbury to form the 17:36 back with a guard available at Swindon, either after being relieved on an incoming service there or sourced from elsewhere and travelling on the cushions to Swindon.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2017, 17:55:42 »

I'm guessing - but as the 16:33 from Westbury is still shown as cancelled a driver will be bringing the unit up empty stock from Westbury to form the 17:36 back with a guard available at Swindon, either after being relieved on an incoming service there or sourced from elsewhere and travelling on the cushions to Swindon.

Popped down to Melksham Station to record (library purposes) 153 going through nonstop - replacement for public service, no train manager available so no passengers being carried.

Lady waiting on the platform; asked her what train she was waiting for - 16:49, which she showed me on the engineering changes page.  Explained to her it was cancelled; didn't believe me, pointing out these were the changes and it said "these trains will run" instead of the normal service.  Help point saying "please wait while the system restarts", but I suggested she press the help button and ask, because that bit of the help point doesn't have to be waited for.

Various bits of translation by me; lady's comprehension of times and timetables was good, but English weak.  Customer Service Clerk had reasonable English but a difficul accent, and needed to be persuaded to go beyond "it's cancelled" to asking GWR (Great Western Railway) what they could do instead. Ended up with a taxi ...

What a good demonstration of how things can go wrong for even a single passenger - the micro - which is often forgotten in the macro of passenger numbers. Lady had a bus to catch (last one of the day) to rural Swindon - "what if it the taxi doesn't make it" when told she would have to change at Chippenham too. And what a lot of extra people had to be involved and extra hassle when it was just ONE train manager we were short of!

Utterly good call today to get the 17:36 re-instated. But also a lesson about the individual problems caused when a train is cancelled - especially one that's infrequent.  "This is a sh*t service" says the lady. "I won't be using it again".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2017, 18:29:14 »

That video just about sums up how pathetic the rail network can be at times. The train runs but no one can use it. Small wonder the lady said what she did. Sad.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2017, 19:19:42 »

Wouldn't it be nice to have a service where the train didn't need to be cancelled if the train manager was not available for any reason?
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2017, 19:42:48 »

Problems on the Cardiff - Portsmouth service this evening.  1630 ex Cardiff started at Bristol 45 minutes late awaiting train crew (presumably the 1454 Bristol Cardiff was also cancelled).  Following service noted 15 minutes late at Westbury and the next service (1954 ex Trowbridge) shown cancelled.  This will also affect services tomorrow morning as there will be insufficient stock at Fratton unless they double up units on the last service

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2017, 21:36:50 »

Wouldn't it be nice to have a service where the train didn't need to be cancelled if the train manager was not available for any reason?

DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) you mean?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2017, 08:25:24 »

Wouldn't it be better that the train was not cancelled because there was a train manager available.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2017, 08:32:00 »

Of course it would, but that doesn't appear to be the situation we have just now.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2017, 09:21:51 »

Wouldn't it be better that the train was not cancelled because there was a train manager available.

Wouldn't it be *far* better if both options were available?!!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2017, 09:26:09 »

Sadly not to be again today....

14:35 Westbury to Swindon due 15:21 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2017, 10:15:43 »

The usual raft of Sunday cancellations or terminating short on the Cardiff-Portsmouth/Brighton line again today. I notice both the 1308 and 1408 both terminating at Westbury meaning a 2 hour wait for anyone heading South. Are GWR (Great Western Railway) laying on replacement transport for those unfortunate to be travelling on either of these two services? Bearing in mind going via Reading is not an option today.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2017, 10:47:50 »

The usual raft of Sunday cancellations or terminating short on the Cardiff-Portsmouth/Brighton line again today. I notice both the 1308 and 1408 both terminating at Westbury meaning a 2 hour wait for anyone heading South. Are GWR (Great Western Railway) laying on replacement transport for those unfortunate to be travelling on either of these two services? Bearing in mind going via Reading is not an option today.

Many more also on that route, seems to be a weekly event now.    I feel Mark Hopwood should come and openly speak out about this and the "more trains than usual under maintenance".    This comment would give the impression that it is just an odd day event but has been going on day in and day out since May.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: