Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:40:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Rail Cycle Award, entry close: September 14, 2017
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cycle-Rail Awards 2017  (Read 34884 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 11, 2017, 18:12:04 »

Can't believe I had missed this one ... you have THREE DAYS to get your entries in ...

Rail Delivery Group - Cycle Rail awards

Now in its 13th year, the Cycle-Rail Awards recognise the progress made by the rail industry and associated organisations towards encouraging integrated cycle-rail travel.

There are eight categories. Click here to browse the categories and criteria for entry.

The 2017 National Cycle-Rail Awards open for entries and nominations from Monday 24th July 2017 and closes on Thursday 14th September 2017 at 17:00. The entry forms will be available on the category pages between those dates.

All entries will be treated in the strictest confidence. The judges’ decision is final and no discussion or correspondence relating to any of their decisions will be entered into.

Free prize draw

Enter a free prize draw with every application submitted to be in with a chance to win one of two Railcards of your choice. Enjoy 1/3 off rail fares for an entire year, and choose from: 16-25, Family & Friends, Senior, Two Together or Disabled Person Railcard.

See also https://www.facebook.com/NationalRailPlus/ ... original closing date was today, but it's been extended by 3 days; my guess is that they're a bit light on entries in some categories!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 21:52:06 »

If there are really only going to be two cycle spaces on five-coach IE(P|T)s, can we nominate GWR (Great Western Railway) for the booby prize?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:23:00 »

If there are really only going to be two cycle spaces on five-coach IE(P|T)s, can we nominate GWR (Great Western Railway) for the booby prize?

Facebook comment on the awards reflects a widespread view that it's not so much the stations - more the trains - that need to be encouraged to improve cycle provision ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:24:03 »

I have always been in two minds about allocating space on trains for cycles, and if carrying cycles, as against to a few more passengers should charged.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:32:55 »

Which apparently are to double up as oversize luggage space. We know how well that works in its unofficial role on Voyagers.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 12:29:24 »

I have always been in two minds about allocating space on trains for cycles, and if carrying cycles, as against to a few more passengers should charged.

I'd introduce a charge too, frankly. Half fare (with tongue in cheek?) for more spaces?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 13:23:40 »

I'd support that, though sadly the franchise agreement doesn't allow it.  And it is one of those subjects where the vocal minority would get disproportionate publicity (as happened in around 2005 when bikes were banned from peak hours trains in the west).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 14:08:12 »

THe next franchise is in only a couple of years time
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 13:02:35 »

A charge might work but it would be difficult to implement successfully.

First and least, should it be a fixed charge or proportional to ticket cost?
Secondly, would it apply to all trains or just to those which require bookings for bike spaces?
Thirdly, what would it cover? Would it guarantee a space? If so, it would need to be enforced on the train itself in at least two ways: to ensure that bikes were not taken on the train without a ticket, and to ensure that the spaces were available for those who had booked them, rather than occupied by other types of luggage or even litter collected from carriages, as quite often happens at present. If the charge does not guarantee a space, then what happens when it has been paid and no space is available? A (passenger) ticket does not guarantee a seat unless a reservation has been made, but then you can stand in the corridor, sit in the vestibule, etc. A charge might therefore legitimise leaving bikes in vestibules etc.
Fourthly, what if a space was booked and available on the train but was too small for the bike? This is quite common, at least on Voyagers with their dangly spaces, as the spaces are narrower than many handlebars. I've heard the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) will have slightly wider spaces but I'm not holding my breath.
Fifthly, it would then make sense to apply a similar charge to large suitcases and similar items of luggage, though probably at a lower rate as they are easier to stack or tessellate.

One benefit of a charge would probably be to discourage the rather antisocial practice of open ticket holders reserving a bike space on multiple trains, thus blocking availability to others but leaving the space unused.

I'd say a charge could be beneficial to everyone but would probably require a significant improvement to rolling stock facilities. Balancing the needs of various users would be tricky.

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 20:49:30 »

I see the shortlist for the awards has been published: https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/cycle-rail-awards/cra-shortlist.html

Among the shortlisted TOCs (Train Operating Company) is CrossCountry for, wait for it, "improvements or excellence in overall customer service for people wishing to make journeys using cycle-rail".

This, presumably, is the same CrossCountry whose first action was to reduce the number of bike spaces per Voyager from four to three. Which is an interesting definition of "improvements or excellence" in "cycle-rail". Do you think there's a Golden Puncture Award they could win?
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 14:56:45 »

... and the results can be found at https://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/national-cycle-rail-awards-winners-announced/022280
Not sure why the organisers and sponsers don't appear to it prominently on their sites.
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 16:05:31 »

Presumably didn't get the Guardian vote. As a bicycle user, i.e. old geezer in a flat hat on a folding bike, one can get the impression that a lot of bicycle facilities are for the benefit of the much reviled "cyclists", Mamils and the like. As someone who effectively uses a bike as a mobility aid, I can understand the difficulty some users will have with Cross Country, and the new GWR (Great Western Railway) facilities.
As Isabelle Clement, of Wheels for Wellbeing, suggests most train operators (and others) are silent on the issue of disabled people and bicycles. It has been mooted in a different context that maybe there should be a test case under the Equality Act against some "providers".
All gets very contentious, not helped by recent offering from BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Northern Ireland.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 16:13:37 »

As long as any disabled users follow the TOCs (Train Operating Company) instructions as to how to book their assistance, I'm sure turning up with a mobility aid they accept (so no tricycles, but that equates with the rule for everyone) will be accepted just as everyone else.

What makes you think they get a worse deal?
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 17:19:46 »

Has anyone actually tried that in a railway context? I know it's been done in some other circumstances but I haven't heard of anyone stating to a TOC (Train Operating Company) that their bike is their mobility aid – perhaps because it's difficult for people in that situation to use trains. Could be interesting.

CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 10:42:50 »

I don't think I was saying they get a worse deal. But certainly I have seen people struggle with the bike storage on Cross Country, not disabled but not as strong and flexible as they used to be. As has been said in other strands this does potentially affect the dwell time on the new GWR (Great Western Railway) trains, and so has a potentially wider effect than just bicycle users.
The Guardian article https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/nov/24/new-high-speed-trains-go-slow-on-provision-for-cyclists has some vociferous comments, some more sensible than others (as always).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: