Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 23:01:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dirty trains and railway stations - ongoing discussion, merged topics  (Read 10158 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 10:27:12 »

Digressing, as ever: Many people are surprised to hear that the household item bearing the highest number of potentially-deadly microbes is not your lavvy, or even your bogbrush - it's yer kitchen sponge or cloth (you know, the one you lovingly smear all over your dishes before putting them in a nice warm dark cupboard to fester). Makes you wonder how we survive...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 12:43:27 »

Digressing, as ever: Many people are surprised to hear that the household item bearing the highest number of potentially-deadly microbes is not your lavvy, or even your bogbrush - it's yer kitchen sponge or cloth (you know, the one you lovingly smear all over your dishes before putting them in a nice warm dark cupboard to fester). Makes you wonder how we survive...

Indeed. Some people seem to be very selective when it comes to cleaning, my missus included. I'll come home and find that the kitchen table (and floor) still has the kids breakfast things on it and hasn't been cleaned, then she'll go around cleaning light switches and door handles with antiseptic because she thinks that's why the kids have tummy bugs!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 14:03:43 »

and you help her out of course?....
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 17:07:05 »

Of course - not that it gets noticed! The funny thing is that when she goes away and I'm on my own with the kids the house is considerably tidier!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 17:10:40 »

Does she notice do you think? :-)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 18:32:21 »

Of course - not that it gets noticed! The funny thing is that when she goes away and I'm on my own with the kids the house is considerably tidier!

I hope she never reads this forum, otherwise you're in trouble!  Grin
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 19:30:15 »

Hmmm.  Undecided

I've just picked up this otherwise dormant topic during my work in migrating various existing posts from our 'the wider picture' board to one of the new boards, so please accept my apologies for the delay in my response / resurrecting an old topic.  Roll Eyes

Suppose you don't get dirty clientele at your partnership that you want to clean yourself after visiting!  Grin

You would be surprised.  I have two examples of customers who, while obviously able to order their shopping online, were apparently unable to look after themselves in their own homes.  In one case, I referred the matter to social services, as I was so concerned.  That was the one where I actually used the hand sanitizers in the van when I had completed the delivery.  It was that bad.  Lips sealed

Since my previous post I now do the same role as you, but in an orange branded van. I'm glad I haven't come across anything like this.
We've a fair few customers who have their order done by family up country, and we can be the only people they see from week to week. I take longer and have a good chat with those.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 19:33:12 »

Some time ago I read of this theory about the immune system (and I've seen nothing since, so maybe it was just someone's theory). The idea is that it is set up to mount about twenty immune responses at any time, and it picks the ones that are causing the most signs of harm. If you have fewer serious infections, it goes further down the scale and attacks things are hardly - or not - harmful at all.

It was meant to explain how the system sets its threshold, and also the observed increase in auto-immune disease and allergies over recent decades. Hence the advice, which you do hear, that being too hygienic is bad for you, and more importantly for your kids.

Well, as an argument it's worth trying anyway.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 10:14:09 »

Pointing out one's other half's failings in the washing-up department is the quickest route out of marital harmony and bliss that I've ever encountered.So Far.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 11:12:11 »

I rather suspect that the touch screens of Ticket Vending Machines are one of the germiest places at all (TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) equipped) stations  ...

Without a doubt ...

Confirmed - from City am

Ever resisted holding on to handrails on the Tube because of the prospect of germs, even if it means you find yourself stumbling around every time the train judders?

You might be on to something: new analysis has revealed London’s germiest Tube lines - and the Northern Line takes top spot with almost three times more germs than its nearest competitor.

Surprised the escalator handrail is so much cleaner than the handrails in the trains. Perhaps it gets scrubbed clean on the return half of its revolution?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: