Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:26:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 424439 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: December 22, 2019, 00:52:54 »

It is an all-signing, all-dancing system linking crew, stock and timetables that does improve the information flow and is described fairly well in the link Stuving put up.  It is only as good as the core data it's fed with though, so if there was a mess up at the rostering stage that is just the sort of error that can creep in when widescale changes are made, such as for the new timetable.  I don't know if the post on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) is accurate or not, but will report back if I hear anything. 

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: December 22, 2019, 09:28:29 »

Thanks for the replies, II and Stuving.  I did a quick 'Google' before posting but the only thing that came up was a model of car...... Tongue
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: December 22, 2019, 09:49:23 »

Cancellations so far due to crew shortage - more being added (it would seem) every few minutes) - a number of foreshortenings listed too, mostly affecting those seeking to travel beyond Swansea - good luck to anyone unfortunate enough to be travelling by rail today;

08:34 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington due 11:15
09:52 Swansea to London Paddington due 12:45
10:22 Swansea to London Paddington due 13:12
11:22 Swansea to London Paddington due 14:14
12:33 London Paddington to Swansea due 15:27
12:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 14:43
13:17 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 15:12
13:25 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington due 15:36
13:40 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 15:42
14:17 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 16:12
14:49 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 16:46
15:17 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 17:10
15:29 London Paddington to Taunton due 18:04
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 17:09
15:49 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 17:44
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 17:37
16:17 London Paddington to Swansea due 19:05
16:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 18:08
16:49 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 18:44
17:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 18:37
17:17 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 19:12
17:29 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare due 19:38
17:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 19:06
17:49 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 19:42
18:17 London Paddington to Swansea due 21:05
18:22 Swansea to London Paddington due 21:14
18:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 20:09
18:58 Taunton to London Paddington due 21:47
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 20:37
19:17 London Paddington to Swansea due 22:08
19:21 Carmarthen to London Paddington due 23:29
19:29 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 21:04
19:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 21:05
20:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 21:34
20:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 22:10
21:05 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington due 23:15
21:26 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 23:01
22:00 London Paddington to Swansea due 00:51
22:05 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 23:39
22:37 London Paddington to Bristol Parkway due 00:11
23:33 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 01:31
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 10:00:53 by TaplowGreen » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: December 22, 2019, 10:01:09 »

While the report I found last night talks about Integrale (or its use in GWR (Great Western Railway)) being new within the last year, its date (which I missed out) was 2017. Integrale itself goes back even further, though it looks as if its use was rather narrower for stock allocation and has grown.

It is one of a whole soup-bowl of acronyms for what Network Rail have called Railway Code Systems (there's a catalogue of them). Some of those are obviously industry-wide, for example if NR» (Network Rail - home page) runs them and everyone else joins in. For others, such as Integrale, it's less clear - for example this is NR's catalogue entry from 2015:
Overview: INTEGRALE combines data about the train service and its actual running with diagram and resource information and their associated rolling stock allocations and crew rosters. It is used as a real-time decision support tool within the controls to ensure the right resources are in the right place at the right time. Data is interfaced (from a wide range of industry and local systems) and can also be manually input. It enables users to have access to other businesses data (security permitting) to allow industry collaboration during times of disruption.

Of course the way software uses networking these days makes such a distinction hard to draw anyway, though if you're head of IT and security at one TOC (Train Operating Company) it might interest you.

As an aside, this thread on railforums included several posts at the end from user JN114 - who works at GWR and describes the shuffling of information about train formations, part-manual and part-automatic, between acronyms to reach station displays.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 10:19:02 by stuving » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: December 22, 2019, 12:20:56 »

It is an all-signing, all-dancing system linking crew, stock and timetables

Many a slip...  not enough staff signing on today...  Grin
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: December 22, 2019, 12:53:07 »

I've given up trying to travel to Carmarthen at the Weekend. Too unreliable, too crowded and too many long waits. I suspect its a common feeling

I did travel down Thursday evening on the direct train. Apart from having to travel into London as it no longer stops at Reading all went well. It was a 5+5 (splitting at Swansea) and so far as I could tell pretty empty. I'm use to being one of a few hardy souls at the end of line but under the previous timetable it was busy until Bristol. Hard to know if Christmas affected things although apparently it was (one of many) busiest travel days of the year according to the papers.

And I had my ticket checked for the first time in about a year.

Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: December 22, 2019, 19:45:44 »

While the report I found last night talks about Integrale (or its use in GWR (Great Western Railway)) being new within the last year, its date (which I missed out) was 2017. Integrale itself goes back even further, though it looks as if its use was rather narrower for stock allocation and has grown.

It is one of a whole soup-bowl of acronyms for what Network Rail have called Railway Code Systems (there's a catalogue of them). Some of those are obviously industry-wide, for example if NR» (Network Rail - home page) runs them and everyone else joins in. For others, such as Integrale, it's less clear - for example this is NR's catalogue entry from 2015:
Overview: INTEGRALE combines data about the train service and its actual running with diagram and resource information and their associated rolling stock allocations and crew rosters. It is used as a real-time decision support tool within the controls to ensure the right resources are in the right place at the right time. Data is interfaced (from a wide range of industry and local systems) and can also be manually input. It enables users to have access to other businesses data (security permitting) to allow industry collaboration during times of disruption.

Of course the way software uses networking these days makes such a distinction hard to draw anyway, though if you're head of IT and security at one TOC (Train Operating Company) it might interest you.

As an aside, this thread on railforums included several posts at the end from user JN114 - who works at GWR and describes the shuffling of information about train formations, part-manual and part-automatic, between acronyms to reach station displays.

It replaced a system called GENIUS which many would like to go back to......
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: December 22, 2019, 20:01:39 »

Doesn't GENIUS still exist, though? AIUI (as I understand it) that is still used as a general on-line data viewer away from head office, but is no longer used (or "to be used") for stock allocation.
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: December 22, 2019, 20:59:06 »

Doesn't GENIUS still exist, though? AIUI (as I understand it) that is still used as a general on-line data viewer away from head office, but is no longer used (or "to be used") for stock allocation.

GENIUS does still exist and some TOC (Train Operating Company)’s still use it as far as I am aware, but GWR (Great Western Railway) only use the mobile version which staff can view on their phones (I can only assume that links to integrale, as it gives rosters, stock movements and crew diagrams).
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: December 24, 2019, 13:37:04 »

As well as cancellations on the Transwilts, other West local services are also being affected by traincrew shortages.

Of particular note is a number of Cardiff-Portsmouth services terminating/starting at Westbury as well as cancellations on Devon/Cornwall branches.

With the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) strike continuing, those travelling south of Westbury this afternoon/evening are going to find a somewhat limited service at times.

IC (Inter City) and Thames Valley services appear to running normally.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: December 27, 2019, 08:10:05 »

Welcome back to 55 cancellations and 15 services running short (as of 8am) mainly local services in Cornwall with all branch lines seeing quite a few cancellations. A few IC (Inter City) services affected. All good on the Transwilts so far.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:19:34 by Timmer » Logged
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: December 27, 2019, 08:41:12 »

That's just #$%&ed up a planned day out!  Back on the buses
Shambles

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: December 27, 2019, 09:28:53 »

It’s just got worse on one line:

Alterations to services between Truro and Falmouth Docks
Due to a shortage of train crew between Truro and Falmouth Docks:
Train services running to and from these stations will be suspended. Disruption is expected until 15:00 27/12.

Now up to 70 cancellations, sigh, with services between Southampton and Portsmouth joining the list. This wouldn’t usually be a problem but the strike affecting SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services means services are much reduced on this line.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: December 27, 2019, 09:34:23 »

Welcome back to 55 cancellations and 15 services running short (as of 8am) mainly local services in Cornwall with all branch lines seeing quite a few cancellations. A few IC (Inter City) services affected. All good on the Transwilts so far.

70 cancellations now, Cornish branches decimated, Truro - Falmouth suspended.

How is this allowed to happen day after day? Is anyone taking responsibility for it? The last few weeks would suggest otherwise.

Christmas is always a pretty dismal time for customers with extreme overcrowding but at least in recent years the advertised service has (largely) run with a few additionals, this year GWR (Great Western Railway) just seem to have given up.

Where are all the crew? (if the answer is "On holiday", then management need a boot to the backside for failing to manage their workforce to meet the needs of the business)
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: December 27, 2019, 10:09:55 »

This won't help but I hope it's not too serious for those involved...

Cancellations to services between Penzance and Truro

Due to a person being hit by a train between Penzance and Truro all lines are blocked.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: