19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 01:04:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 427096 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 11, 2018, 13:53:53 »

.... and another woe to rugby fans, a points failure between Swansea and Cardiff.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 11, 2018, 16:39:27 »

Nonsensical wording but some minor good news.............

17:22 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 20:00

17:22 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 20:00 will be reinstated.
This is due to a shortage of train drivers.
Will be formed of 10 coaches.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 11, 2018, 16:55:25 »

Need to leave the ground NOW to have any chance of catching it mind.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 11, 2018, 17:07:38 »

You're currently fortunate enough to enjoy those terms and conditions and no-one can blame you for taking advantage of them, it's not the fault of individual employees however the world has moved on in the decades since BR (British Rail(ways)) and most people get used to variations in their working practices (even the Civil Service!).

Nearly! As a former Civil Servant of many years' standing (plus quite a few sitting down) I was never required to work weekends or evenings. Over the years, I took on a number of job roles that could not be done during office hours alone, and worked many weekends and other unsocial hours. I was paid a decent premium, the eventual withdrawal of which fortunately coincided with me deciding that I had enough money and preferred free time instead.
As the world moved towards a 24/7 model, so did my former department. New staff for contact centres were recruited with terms of employment that included variable shift patterns including some weekends. They didn't mind, as it was exactly what they had applied for.

Then, a couple of years back, that same department launched a campaign to get everyone on the same terms, including those who like me weren't employed as the office equivalent of battery chickens. After much talking to the unions, a deal was hammered out, which made adoption of the new contract purely voluntary, but with a bigger pay rise that year for all who agreed to it. I signed up, and my new terms and conditions came into force on the 1st of the following month.

The point is that even the Civil Service saw the benefit of persuasion as opposed to threats and coercion. New railway staff are needed, and at first sight it would seem to make sense to hire them on terms that are more favourable to the company, and maybe offer inducements to existing employees to switch. Retirements and resignations will soon whittle down the numbers on "legacy" contracts. The problem, though, is that whereas my old department will continue in some form indefinitely,  First might find themselves handing their staff over to another company before any negotiations have really got under way. That process would be greatly complicated by having staff employed on a variety of different terms. To make matters even more tricky, many of them have skills of a very portable kind, in considerable demand by other companies. My thinking is that First can't completely solve the problem alone, but that no-one else is going to help them do it.

How did I get on with my new conditions? Having put it off until after the pay rise, I retired 10 days later. I can see similar being a danger for GWR (Great Western Railway) too.

Now, please!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 11, 2018, 17:25:31 »

Could be unpleasant at Bristol TM(resolve) and Bath Spa over the next hour with both 1705 and the 1730 (ex Plymouth) to Paddington both canned. I can imagine all those turfed off the Plymouth train werent too pleased. Neither will everyone be when all those from the 1705 and 1730 all try and get on the 1805 from Paignton to London.

Spare a thought for all those GWR (Great Western Railway) staff who ARE working today having to deal with the fallout from all this from the platform staff to the Train Managers on the services that are running.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 11, 2018, 17:29:38 »

Could be unpleasant at Bristol TM(resolve) and Bath Spa over the next hour with both 1705 and the 1730 (ex Plymouth) to Paddington both canned. I can imagine all those turfed off the Plymouth train werent too pleased. Neither will everyone be when all those from the 1705 and 1730 all try and get on the 1805 from Paignton to London.

Spare a thought for all those GWR (Great Western Railway) staff who ARE working today having to deal with the fallout from all this from the platform staff to the Train Managers on the services that are running.

..............and bear in mind that GWR's Twitter feed is advising people whose direct London trains from Cardiff have been cancelled to go to Bristol TM and change there......could get a bit messy.

..........and this won't help either!

Delays to services between London Paddington and Slough

Due to a fault with the signalling system between London Paddington and Slough the line towards Slough is disrupted.
Train services running to and from these stations may be delayed by up to 30 minutes. Disruption is expected until 20:00 11/03.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 11, 2018, 17:41:04 »

Oh no, with reports coming in of services that are running being absolutely rammed, the last thing you need is a signal fault between Slough and London!

I really feel for those travelling on GWR (Great Western Railway) right now.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 11, 2018, 17:46:05 »

Don’t wish to burst your positive bubble TG, but to run this service they cancelled the service before the 1551 Swansea to London train at Cardiff. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 11, 2018, 18:36:22 »

And from the front page of the GWR (Great Western Railway) website...
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 11, 2018, 19:02:06 »

Don’t wish to burst your positive bubble TG, but to run this service they cancelled the service before the 1551 Swansea to London train at Cardiff. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

On RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) 1L82 canned at CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) due to an unknown reason (TZ), stock held in Platform 1 and departed as 1Z50 at 1723 1/2 vs 1722, wonder if pax already on 1L82 were turfed off the set only to have to join the scrum to get back on the same set and probably not be able to sit in same seats even if seats were reserved and occupied from stations west of CDF.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 11, 2018, 19:10:23 »

You’d hope common sense prevailed and that they were allowed to stay on the train.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 16, 2018, 16:45:11 »

Due to a shortage of train drivers between London Paddington and Hayes & Harlington fewer trains are able to run.
Impact: Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
Customer Advice:
London Underground are conveying passengers between London Paddington and Hayes & Harlington in both directions until further notice. Arrangements have been made for Great Western Railway rail tickets to be accepted for these journeys.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 16, 2018, 17:08:43 »

I didn;t think there was a London Underground station near Hayes & Harlington?
nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 16, 2018, 18:00:26 »

Bus to Uxbridge, Ealing or Heathrow. Then take your pick of Piccadilly, Metropolitan, Central or District lines.

This is starting to make Southern/GTR look professional
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #494 on: March 16, 2018, 18:36:22 »

Bus to Uxbridge, Ealing or Heathrow. Then take your pick of Piccadilly, Metropolitan, Central or District lines.

This is starting to make Southern/GTR look professional

Welcome to the forum, Nick.  Where there's a pattern that takes in Southern, Northern and Western, perhaps the problem lies not (entirely ?) with them but in the system or at some common point?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: