Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:08:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 424366 times)
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 25, 2017, 04:37:48 »

Irrespective of the leverage it gives, you have to question the morals and human decency of those prepared to strike in these circumstances on Christmas Eve knowing the misery it will cause to thousands of people.

Great to hear that GWR (Great Western Railway) services have held up so well today.

I think this is more than a little of an overreaction TG.

I would have thought that this year - with Christmas Eve being a Sunday and with the rush starting on Friday - this was more a symbolic strike at one of the least disruptive days. After all NR» (Network Rail - home page) have already started Christmas shutdowns. 

I don't know if XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) staff are contracted to do Sundays or whether it is voluntary...

..and XC were also on strike on the 23rd..

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 26, 2017, 15:58:56 »

I’ll be undertaking a long distance car journey Boxing Day afternoon, and will report back on the state of the motorways.  Perhaps any other forum members undertaking a similar journey could do the same?  A comparison with a typical Sunday on the motorways, with an allowance for the fact they’ll be slightly busier anyway because the train isn’t an option, will give a very good indication as to likely demand.

So, to report back as promised.  An early to mid-afternoon journey on Boxing Day taking in sections of the M1 and M40 as well as several major A roads, and I was surprised just how busy it was out there!  I would estimate, based on previous experience, around 70-80% as busy as a typical Sunday afternoon, which is probably the best day to use for comparisons.  Noticeably less HGV traffic as you would expect, but certainly no shortage of cars, and proof in my mind that, from a national public service perspective, more trains are needed on Boxing Day.  I'll be interested to hear other travellers experiences.

Obviously that's not an in-depth study, but I don't think anyone can seriously claim that if an extensive train service operated on Boxing Day nobody would use it, but there might be the potential for overcrowding if you didn't operate trains at a sufficient frequency, or ban walk-on fares.  Both are potential options (as is doing nothing!), but I think I favour the gradual introduction of routes, so you can stop the system being swamped by reducing the number of possible journeys being available, but once you've proven you can cope with the numbers (and you can entice sufficient staff in) you can introduce more routes as necessary.

So, for example, start off with Paddington to Oxford/Bristol/Westbury and Reading to Gatwick.  Then the following year extend to Bristol and Cardiff, then if all is going well Exeter, Swansea, Worcester and Gloucester the year after that, then finally Weston-Super-Mare, Plymouth and perhaps Cardiff-Portsmouth and there you have it.  From nothing, to most of the GWR (Great Western Railway) routes within 5 years.   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #302 on: December 26, 2017, 17:07:23 »

The M40 was pretty busy at 0700 this morning. We get to hear the swish of teaffic noise from the decking outside our house once a certain level is reached! That would mistly be football traffic.

Complaints from fans early on 5Live breakfast from those about to drive/catch a (free, put on by their club) coach that they had to go early as they couldn't have a drink until they got there, so had to travel early. I don't have much sympathy for fan drinking frankly
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 26, 2017, 17:22:47 »

I’ll be undertaking a long distance car journey Boxing Day afternoon, and will report back on the state of the motorways.  Perhaps any other forum members undertaking a similar journey could do the same?  A comparison with a typical Sunday on the motorways, with an allowance for the fact they’ll be slightly busier anyway because the train isn’t an option, will give a very good indication as to likely demand.

So, to report back as promised.  An early to mid-afternoon journey on Boxing Day taking in sections of the M1 and M40 as well as several major A roads, and I was surprised just how busy it was out there!  I would estimate, based on previous experience, around 70-80% as busy as a typical Sunday afternoon, which is probably the best day to use for comparisons.  Noticeably less HGV traffic as you would expect, but certainly no shortage of cars, and proof in my mind that, from a national public service perspective, more trains are needed on Boxing Day.  I'll be interested to hear other travellers experiences.

Obviously that's not an in-depth study, but I don't think anyone can seriously claim that if an extensive train service operated on Boxing Day nobody would use it, but there might be the potential for overcrowding if you didn't operate trains at a sufficient frequency, or ban walk-on fares.  Both are potential options (as is doing nothing!), but I think I favour the gradual introduction of routes, so you can stop the system being swamped by reducing the number of possible journeys being available, but once you've proven you can cope with the numbers (and you can entice sufficient staff in) you can introduce more routes as necessary.

So, for example, start off with Paddington to Oxford/Bristol/Westbury and Reading to Gatwick.  Then the following year extend to Bristol and Cardiff, then if all is going well Exeter, Swansea, Worcester and Gloucester the year after that, then finally Weston-Super-Mare, Plymouth and perhaps Cardiff-Portsmouth and there you have it.  From nothing, to most of the GWR (Great Western Railway) routes within 5 years.   Wink

Clear run up the A38/M5/M4 from Plymouth, just over 3 hours door to door, time to drop off luggage/gifts in Taplow and then on to MK (Milton Keynes) Dons to watch Argyle win 1-0, great journey, great result!  Smiley

Can't imagine being able to match that itinerary by train at the best of times!!! (......but would be good to have the option).
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 29, 2017, 17:13:35 »

Cancellations to services between Swindon and Cheltenham Spa

Due to a shortage of train drivers between Swindon and Cheltenham Spa fewer trains are able to run.
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Transwilts being hit quite hard too.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 02, 2018, 14:55:39 »

A quick look at the GWR (Great Western Railway) website reveals approximately 40 cancellations, most of which are LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) services and have appeared in the last hour, all due to shortage of train crew throughout peak time tonight and beyond. Possibly the worst I've seen......combined with the number of short formations this morning what a farcical start to the "Brave new World" of reliability and capacity we've all been promised.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 02, 2018, 15:24:33 »

And on the same day the fares went up.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 02, 2018, 15:25:58 »

Yes, a very poor start to the year.
I would have some sympathy with GWR (Great Western Railway) if some exceptional circumstance had caused a sudden and unexpected staff shortage, but cant consider January the second to be in any way exceptional.

Never mind it will all be all right when the new trains come into service  Huh

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 02, 2018, 15:27:47 »

Would it be right to assume that these cancellations (or rather the crew shortage) have been known about all day? Most businesses would know what resources they have on the day (and even before) so why not make this information available earlier? Give people the chance to plan their day? Work from home/elsewhere if they can?

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 02, 2018, 15:38:44 »

To be generous to GWR (Great Western Railway), this MIGHT be a case of late shift drivers not turning up due to last minute sickness. Or of earlier shift drivers declining to work overtime.

Whatever the detail, it is the job of the TOC (Train Operating Company) to recruit and retain enough staff to run the advertised service in all but truly exceptional conditions. GWR have failed miserably in this respect, for some months.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #310 on: January 02, 2018, 15:49:44 »

Sorry, you can't expect companies to cover for industrial action (fake sickness is an RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) trick right now, so I include that) - how many companies have staff around to cover for unplanned or planned action, for example.

I'm not saying it is this, but if it was.

II has also posted elsewhere as to a reason staff shortages might be prevalent this week, but I can't find it. It can take many months to train a driver, and considerable cost. I agree rosters should all be covered, but unless you want higher fares, they aren't going to have drivers sat around just in case. That last happened over 30 years ago.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 02, 2018, 15:55:07 »

To be generous to GWR (Great Western Railway), this MIGHT be a case of late shift drivers not turning up due to last minute sickness. Or of earlier shift drivers declining to work overtime.

Whatever the detail, it is the job of the TOC (Train Operating Company) to recruit and retain enough staff to run the advertised service in all but truly exceptional conditions. GWR have failed miserably in this respect, for some months.

GWR have recruited drivers in there hundreds, I would estimate in the region of 500 drivers in the past three or four years and that doesn’t include the recruiting of already qualified drivers but as quickly as they pass out new drivers others are leaving the company.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 02, 2018, 15:55:31 »

I'm not saying it is this, but if it was.

Well it obviously isn't, so I'm not sure quite why you are saying it, even if you aren't.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 02, 2018, 15:59:43 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) have recruited drivers in there hundreds, I would estimate in the region of 500 drivers in the past two or three years and that doesn’t include the recruiting of already qualified drivers but as quickly as they pass out new drivers others are leaving the company.

Quite a significant number of which do not live locally, or have moved themselves down here into rented accommodation leaving family at whatever distant town 'home' may be.  Unsurprisingly at the first opportunity they get a job with a TOC (Train Operating Company) close to wherever home is.  Is it really beyond the wit of GWR to find people who are local? (cue League of Gentlemen impressions!).

Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 02, 2018, 16:12:35 »

If the current shortage is due to a higher than expected turnover I would expect HR (Human Resources) to know the reason why and to address it.  Ditto if absence due to sickness is higher than expected.  Incidentally, I don’t buy this fake sickness suggestion.

Others have reported that RD and overtime payments have been reduced.  This is not the best strategy if you know you’re short (or going to be short) of Drivers and need to rely on RD and overtime working to keep the service going.  Drivers are a TOC (Train Operating Company)’s most important resource and they need to be managed (in the broadest sense) effectively.

But then in my day there were experienced Employee Relations people.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: