Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:03:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 424382 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #330 on: January 02, 2018, 18:11:39 »

Hence some reinstatements.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 02, 2018, 18:12:00 »

They would have certainly had a fair idea, though a lot of juggling goes on during the day to try and minimise shortages.

Not enough jugglers but a load of balls.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 02, 2018, 18:53:04 »

Well there were 35 cancellations, then it dropped to 14 - just now back up to 27.

That’s all within 1 hour.

How the hell are passengers supposed to know if a train is going to run or not ? Crystal Ball ? Make a phone call to FGW (First Great Western) M.D.

How does this install confidence ?

I’d like FGW to get behind a hashtag #honourthetimetable - and state as policy that no matter what the occurrence, they will run the trains timetables - even if in doing so they take a financial hit.

What says everyone ? Do we start adding #honourthetimetable with every communication with FGW ?
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 02, 2018, 19:31:44 »

There’s Turbos coming back from Bristol being put back on service trains in the Thames Valley
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 02, 2018, 19:39:06 »

There’s Turbos coming back from Bristol being put back on service trains in the Thames Valley
Funny, was just about to suggest ‘would you like some Turbos back?’ But where does that leave the West fleet bearing in mind some 150 stock has already left for up North?
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 02, 2018, 22:41:11 »

At first glance I thought it was a tongue in cheek comment...

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O57302/2018/01/02/advanced
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #336 on: January 03, 2018, 06:26:30 »

Funny, was just about to suggest ‘would you like some Turbos back?’ But where does that leave the West fleet bearing in mind some 150 stock has already left for up North?

It leaves the west fleet short ... at least six diagrams involved ...

07:23 Warminster to Great Malvern due 10:31 will be cancelled.
This is due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time.

Facilities on the 08:00 Cardiff Central to Paignton due 11:20.
Will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 4.

Facilities on the 06:58 Barnstaple to Exeter Central due 08:10.

Facilities on the 07:33 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19.
Will be formed of 1 coach instead of 2.

Facilities on the 07:35 Taunton to Bristol Parkway due 09:03.
Will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 3.

Facilities on the 07:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour due 10:52.
Will be formed of 3 coaches instead of 5.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:32:23 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 03, 2018, 06:42:59 »

I’d like FGW (First Great Western) to get behind a hashtag #honourthetimetable - and state as policy that no matter what the occurrence, they will run the trains timetables - even if in doing so they take a financial hit.

What says everyone ? Do we start adding #honourthetimetable with every communication with FGW ?

But run the trains involves actually having some trains available to them. No amount of money is going to get a train to magically appear in the depot! 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 03, 2018, 07:12:11 »

I’d like FGW (First Great Western) to get behind a hashtag #honourthetimetable - and state as policy that no matter what the occurrence, they will run the trains timetables - even if in doing so they take a financial hit.

But run the trains involves actually having some trains available to them. No amount of money is going to get a train to magically appear in the depot! 

You'll find them in the depot.....more than usual of these (brand new) trains need repair (apparently).......maybe you need some mechanics to magically appear.....or the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) to stop encouraging drivers to phone in sick? (Allegedly) 😉
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 03, 2018, 07:46:38 »

It leaves the west fleet short ... at least six diagrams involved ...

07:23 Warminster to Great Malvern due 10:31 will be cancelled.

Facilities on the 08:00 Cardiff Central to Paignton due 11:20.

Facilities on the 06:58 Barnstaple to Exeter Central due 08:10.

Facilities on the 07:33 Westbury to Swindon due 08:19.
Will be formed of 1 coach instead of 2.

Facilities on the 07:35 Taunton to Bristol Parkway due 09:03.
Will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 3.

Facilities on the 07:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour due 10:52.
Will be formed of 3 coaches instead of 5.

To list but a few, West Services taking quite a hit looking at JourneyCheck this morning with many short formed services or services starting/ending short.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #340 on: January 03, 2018, 09:51:01 »

Well there were 35 cancellations, then it dropped to 14 - just now back up to 27.

That’s all within 1 hour.

How the hell are passengers supposed to know if a train is going to run or not ? Crystal Ball ? Make a phone call to FGW (First Great Western) M.D.

How does this install confidence ?

I’d like FGW to get behind a hashtag #honourthetimetable - and state as policy that no matter what the occurrence, they will run the trains timetables - even if in doing so they take a financial hit.

I E-Mailed Mark Hopwood at the end of last week not just about crew shortages but also about "More trains than usual under repair" and requesting a Public Statement be issued.   Guess what ?   No reply
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 03, 2018, 09:53:50 »

It’s not just the money.  Anyone in any job likes to feel valued, respected, treated reasonably etc.  I know plenty of people who have moved to a lower paid job and been happier for it because of the job satisfaction they get which they didn’t get before. 

You don’t necessarily need money to reduce turnover, just good management (again, in the broadest sense) to help retain staff who you may lose if you don’t treat them right.

The wages paid to train drivers seem to me to be generous. If recruiting or retaining drivers is problematic then that certainly suggests that it is about more than the money.
There is a fairly widely held view among train drivers that there are too many "bright young managers" often with irrelevant degrees, whose job seems to be to victimise drivers.
Said young managers are widely believed to despise the train drivers whom are paid a lot more than the managers.

It is alleged by some drivers, that managers employ underhand tactics to catch them out. Examples include use of forward facing CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) to catch drivers going the other way whilst not wearing correct uniform, and telephoning a drivers mobile number during a shift in the hope that they will answer and can then be disciplined.

Such behaviour would not help to retain drivers.

I have left a (non railway) job because of overbearing management and their security staff. Said security staff appeared to view their job as being to trap employees into breaking the rules, rather than the detection of actual dishonesty. And they wondered why retaining staff was difficult !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #342 on: January 03, 2018, 10:56:19 »

The wages paid to train drivers seem to me to be generous. If recruiting or retaining drivers is problematic then that certainly suggests that it is about more than the money.
There is a fairly widely held view among train drivers that there are too many "bright young managers" often with irrelevant degrees, whose job seems to be to victimise drivers.
Said young managers are widely believed to despise the train drivers whom are paid a lot more than the managers.

Are you quoting hearsay or have you actually spoken to any drivers? Many? I'm not calling your hearsay untrue, but I think you need to be upfront about your statement.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 03, 2018, 12:28:49 »

Are you quoting hearsay or have you actually spoken to any drivers? Many? I'm not calling your hearsay untrue, but I think you need to be upfront about your statement.

I have actually spoken to several train drivers, all of whom have expressed very negative views about young managers without railway experience, whom they consider are "out to get drivers"
Two work for south west trains, as they were known at the time of the conversation.
One works for GWR (Great Western Railway).
One worked for south west trains, but was dismissed unfairly. BTW (by the way), the "unfairly" bit is not simply their view, they won compensation for unfair dismissal.
I also know well a driver who works for a rail freight company, they moved from a passenger TOC (Train Operating Company) due to what they considered as the bad management attitude at the passenger TOC. They speak well of their present employer.

I have also heard hearsay expressing similar views.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 03, 2018, 13:19:56 »

And I have a train driving friend who's just moved from freight to passenger. He speaks well of his present employer.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: