Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:24:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 424352 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 17, 2018, 00:00:47 »

There have been a number of comments on this and other threads about what the franchise agreement commits GWR (Great Western Railway) to by way of staffing. As fas as I can see, there is nothing that names numbers at all, even by implication. There's a lot of "reasonable endeavours" and "adequate provision", and at least one use of the words "staffing level" but really about gateline opening hours. There is less than I would expect about transfer of staff into and out of the franchise - but then GWR were their own predecessors.

There is a section (Schedule 1.2, page 110) about "operating obligations". It goes on a bit - as you'd expect. Here are a couple of relevant slabs of it:

Operating Obligations

1. Daily Operating Obligations

1.1 The Franchisee agrees to use all reasonable endeavours to operate on each day of the Franchise Term each of its Passenger Services as are set out in the Plan of the Day for that day with at least the Passenger Carrying Capacity specified in the Train Plan for that Passenger Service. The Franchisee shall notify the Secretary of State as soon as reasonably practicable if it has on any day of the Franchise Term failed to operate to a material extent each of its Passenger Services as are set out in the Plan of the Day for that day and with at least the Passenger Carrying Capacity specified in the Train Plan for that Passenger Service.
7. Obligation to use all reasonable endeavours

7.1 Any obligation in this Schedule 1.2 on the part of the Franchisee to use all reasonable endeavours to operate railway passenger services shall include an obligation to:
(a) ensure (so far as it is able to do so) the provision of the Passenger Services as set out in the Plan of the Day in accordance with the Train Plan in ordinary operating conditions;
(b) take reasonable measures to avoid and/or reduce the impact of any disruption to the Franchise Services having regard to all the circumstances, including the reasonably foreseeable risks arising from the matters referred to in paragraph 7.2; and
(c) actively manage the performance by Network Rail of its contractual relationship with the Franchisee (and provide appropriate management resources for this purpose) so as to secure the best performance reasonably obtainable from Network Rail by these means (including taking the steps referred to in paragraph 7.4), having regard to all the circumstances.

7.2 The matters to which the Franchisee is to have regard pursuant to paragraph 7.1(b) shall include:
(a) variations in weather and operating conditions (including Network Rail's infrastructure not being available for any reason), which may in either case include seasonal variations;
(b) default by, or restrictions imposed by, suppliers to the Franchisee;
(c) shortages of appropriately skilled or qualified Franchise Employees;
(d) disputes with Franchise Employees;
(e) the availability of the Train Fleet, having regard to maintenance requirements and any Mandatory Modifications;
(f) establishing reasonable Turnaround Time allowances for enabling or disabling (as appropriate) any part of a train, the rostering of any train crew and the servicing or cleaning of any rolling stock vehicles; and
(g) failures of rolling stock vehicles in service and contingency arrangements (including Hot Standbys and rescue traction).

7.3 For the purpose of taking measures in respect of any disruption to the Franchise Services in accordance with paragraph 7.1(b) and assessing the extent of any risk referred to in paragraph 7.1(b) and any such risk's reasonable foreseeability, regard shall be had both:
(a) to the historical levels of incidence of disruption in the operation of:
  (i) the Franchise Services;
  (ii) similar services both by the Franchisee and/or its predecessors; and
  (iii) other services of a type similar to the Franchise Services; and
(b) to potential changes in circumstances which may affect those levels.

7.4 The steps to which paragraph 7.1(c) refers include:
(a) co-operating with Network Rail in the development, agreement and implementation of:
  (i) a 5-year (rolling) Performance Strategy Plan; and
  (ii) recovery plans in response to failures to achieve the performance levels specified in any Performance Strategy Plan;
(b) co-operating with Network Rail in adopting the principles set out in any Service Recovery Plans agreed between Network Rail and the Franchisee from time to time;
(c) undertaking regular reviews of:
  (i) the most common and most detrimental causes of PPM(resolve) attrition and delay to the Passenger Services; and
  (ii) the ten causes of delay to the Passenger Services with the longest duration (to the extent not already reviewed in accordance with paragraph 7.4(c)(i)), which have occurred during that defined review period (e.g. weekly / four weekly / quarterly) and which have been caused by the Franchisee, any other Train Operator, any other train operator licensed under the Act or Network Rail;
(d) undertaking with Network Rail a review of the time taken to recover the Passenger Services following the occurrence of any of the events specified in paragraphs 7.4(c)(i) and 7.4(c)(ii) and seeking to identify and implement actions that reduce the delay effect of such events;
(e) setting up and holding regular and effective performance review meetings with Network Rail, evidenced by meeting minutes and the closure of actions agreed between the parties;
(f) regularly monitoring (at least every Reporting Period) the delivery of commitments made by Network Rail in the Performance Strategy Plan and derived delivery plans and using reasonable endeavours to specify and develop such delivery plans;
(g) as and when required by Network Rail, co-operating with Network Rail in improving the accuracy of future timetables by providing access to trains (and data collected from on train systems), other facilities and/or information;
(h) co-operating with Network Rail in other delay management initiatives and ongoing quarterly reviews of the Performance Strategy Plan;
(i) regularly reviewing (at least every Reporting Period) the imposition and clearance of temporary speed restrictions;
(j) regularly reviewing (at least every Reporting Period) the timely and efficient handover and hand-back of possessions; and
(k) where appropriate and where Network Rail fails to perform its obligations under the Track Access Agreement, enforcing the Franchisee's rights under such Track Access Agreement.

7.5 The Franchisee undertakes to reasonably co-operate with Network Rail with regard to Network Rail's management of the network, including in relation to the establishment of up to date Timetable Planning Rules (as such term is defined under the Network Code).

7.6 To the extent not already provided for in the Franchise Agreement, the Franchisee shall use all reasonable endeavours to ensure the performance by Network Rail of its obligations under any relevant agreement including, where appropriate or where requested by the Secretary of State, enforcing its rights against Network Rail under any such agreement.

7.7 When and to the extent reasonably requested by the Secretary of State, the Franchisee shall provide to the Secretary of State evidence of the steps taken by it in order to comply with its obligations under this paragraph 7.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 17, 2018, 01:05:07 »

I've found GWR (Great Western Railway) fairly good for staffing at Newton Abbot, apart from the bad weather from storm emma(several days after it was over) where there was only 4 staff, and half of them left after 4pm leaving gatelines open and ticket office shut.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 17, 2018, 07:12:33 »

One amongst dozens (as usual), but what it means is, if you're a Spurs fan, you won't be getting to the match today.

06:57 London Paddington to Swansea due 10:44
06:57 London Paddington to Swansea due 10:44 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 17, 2018, 08:59:27 »

....  if you're a Spurs fan, you won't be getting to the match today.

Spurs fans WILL make it if the 08:00 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - SWA» (Swansea - next trains) runs to schedule and the fans perform a Usain Bolt from Swansea Station to the Football Stadium.

What plonker at GWR (Great Western Railway) decided to cancel the 06:57 from PAD which no doubt would be heavily booked for today's F A Quarter Final Cup Tie.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 17, 2018, 09:17:48 »

I didn;t think there was a London Underground station near Hayes & Harlington?

Hatton Cross and Heathrow Central would be the nearest. Take the 90 or 140 bus respectively. In the evening peak both bus journeys should be about 18 minutes. I've had to do that a few times.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 17, 2018, 09:45:13 »

....  if you're a Spurs fan, you won't be getting to the match today.

Spurs fans WILL make it if the 08:00 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - SWA» (Swansea - next trains) runs to schedule and the fans perform a Usain Bolt from Swansea Station to the Football Stadium.

What plonker at GWR (Great Western Railway) decided to cancel the 06:57 from PAD which no doubt would be heavily booked for today's F A Quarter Final Cup Tie.

The 0900 is starting from Bristol Temple Meads, so no chance of jumping on that one at Paddington and at least getting there for the second half (.....or a delayed kick off?)

Never realised there were so many Arsenal fans at GWR.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 17, 2018, 16:02:57 »

Welcome indeed, nickswift99. You have a point. It's a shambles.

Now, please!
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #502 on: March 17, 2018, 16:31:35 »

I swear they are doing everything they can to put people off using their services. Just looking on Twitter now, the last two Swansea - Paddington services tonight are being cancelled, no buses or taxis being offered and hotel costs only "considered".
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 17:18:38 by WelshBluebird » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 17, 2018, 17:17:48 »

I swear they are doing everything they can to put people off using their services. Just looking on Twitter now, the last two Swansea - Paddington services tonight are being cancelled, no buses or taxis being offered and hotel costs only "considered.
Yes an interesting exchange of tweets there between a customer and GWR (Great Western Railway).
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 17, 2018, 17:35:41 »

I swear they are doing everything they can to put people off using their services. Just looking on Twitter now, the last two Swansea - Paddington services tonight are being cancelled, no buses or taxis being offered and hotel costs only "considered".

Has the SPURS fans been told this, expect quite a few hotel costs 'to be considered' and consequential losses claims to be made !!!!
YouKnowNothing

View Profile Email
« Reply #505 on: March 18, 2018, 17:04:58 »

I swear they are doing everything they can to put people off using their services. Just looking on Twitter now, the last two Swansea - Paddington services tonight are being cancelled, no buses or taxis being offered and hotel costs only "considered.
Yes an interesting exchange of tweets there between a customer and GWR (Great Western Railway).

You're welcome. I actually fully appreciate what GWR are going through but the lack of Senior Management communications is what really turns my gears. A least Ryanair had the bravery to come out and admit they had issues. They tried to paper over people's rights but that got corrected. The passengers have so few rights due to the lack of delay repay that they should be reminded from time to time.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 18, 2018, 17:31:58 »

Welcome to the forum YouKnowNothing.

YouKnowNothing

View Profile Email
« Reply #507 on: March 18, 2018, 17:46:58 »

Thank you. Long time reader but first time poster. However, I see some of your forum members have read my tweets.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #508 on: March 18, 2018, 17:47:35 »

Welcome indeed.   I'm wondering who is the "you" and what  unknown is - fascinating forum name, and I hope you'll stick around and help us learn something. Smiley

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 18, 2018, 17:50:15 »

Welcome indeed.   I'm wondering who is the "you" and what  unknown is - fascinating forum name, and I hope you'll stick around and help us learn something. Smiley

Perhaps this is the real Jon Snow?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: