Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:59:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 424379 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #540 on: April 08, 2018, 07:34:27 »

P.S.  Here's the total Journey Check comment - no advise here on what to do instead.

11:55 Swindon to Bath Spa due 12:30
11:55 Swindon to Bath Spa due 12:30 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.

My Dad was a wise man. Much missed. 
If you have go give bad news to someone / say "NO" ...
1. Express Regret
2. Give Reason
3. Suggest Alternative
GWR (Great Western Railway) are scoring just one out of three - pretty poor for a company that's been running these services for decades, and should know a bit about customer relations by now  Grin

Edit to add - my attempt at advise ... not really my job to fill in for TOC (Train Operating Company) failures, but it doesn't half help the CRP (Community Rail Partnership)'s profile as an important and useful player for the passenger!

https://www.facebook.com/TransWilts/photos/a.402860103147371.1073741825.294993730600676/1356304114469627

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 08:00:30 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 08, 2018, 08:15:39 »

Indeed it would be useful to let those intending to travel out of Bath today just how they are going to be able to travel. I can only assume GWR (Great Western Railway) have sourced buses to take Bath passengers to either Chippenham or Swindon to get a train from there.

I wonder how far back they knew they weren’t going to be able to run the timetabled service out of Bath today?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 08, 2018, 08:17:29 »

Spare a thought for the passengers on the last Paddington - Cardiff service which "Will be terminated at Bristol Parkway due to lack of train crew"

Told at Paddington that there would be onward road transport to Newport and Cardiff available at Bristol Parkway.

Arrived at Parkway no road transport except a handful of taxis and almost as one the taxi drivers stood firm and refused to accept fares across the POW bridge claiming they'd been on duty since 14.00 or 16.00 hrs that day.

Harassed member of GWR (Great Western Railway) staff on duty made a couple of phone calls and established there was a coach on its way from West Bromwich and would be there in about two hours time.

He was finishing his shift and he had to secure the station for the night and so left the luckless passengers shivering in the vehicle entrance to the multi storey car park as that was about the only shelter available from the torrential rain that night.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 08, 2018, 08:24:07 »

The couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery syndrome strikes again
Frankly that is a disgusting way to treat paying customers,
And whoever locked them out of Parkway and went home ,definitely needs to be spoken too and harshly.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #544 on: April 08, 2018, 08:28:28 »

Spare a thought for the passengers on the last Paddington - Cardiff service ..

Harassed member of GWR (Great Western Railway) staff on duty ...

Very much a thought for the passengers ... and also a thought for the staff on the ground who in most cases are doing their very best to be helpful.   

I noted your previous post about a member of staff leaving his job / retiring early, and the first few days of this month have brought more lomg-experienced operational staff who have to face passengers - platform staff, ticket office, train conductors / manager to the point of asking "why do I do this".

Provision  by management to the staff who face passengers daily of a service they can be proud of - or failing that excellent backup in adversity, with high-quality and accurate explanations and prompt alternatives - would not only help passengers, but would also help their staff retention.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #545 on: April 08, 2018, 08:31:58 »

Frankly that is a disgusting way to treat paying customers

Agreed. Totally

And whoever locked them out of Parkway and went home ,definitely needs to be spoken too and harshly.

Agreed. With one proviso. If (s)he could not stay on due to health and safety rules / timeouts etc.  There is a slight possibility (I'm sure others will advise us) that staying on could have resulted in a significant disciplinary ... working too long a shift around the railway, etc ...

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 08, 2018, 08:34:23 »

Cancellations so far today.........apparently the Famous Five are signing up with National Express.

08:00 London Paddington to Great Malvern due 10:54
08:19 Cardiff Central to Bristol Temple Meads due 09:09
08:22 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central due 08:28
08:27 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa due 10:44
08:32 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough due 08:38
09:00 Bath Spa to Swindon due 09:33
09:10 Swindon to Bath Spa due 09:44
09:13 Cardiff Central to Bristol Temple Meads due 10:12
09:30 London Paddington to Port Talbot Parkway due 12:24
09:55 Swindon to Bath Spa due 10:30
10:00 Bath Spa to Swindon due 10:31
10:03 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare due 12:32
10:27 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa due 12:44
10:55 Swindon to Bath Spa due 11:26
11:02 Bath Spa to Swindon due 11:35
11:14 Great Malvern to London Paddington due 14:07
11:18 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington due 13:27
11:55 Swindon to Bath Spa due 12:30
12:13 Bath Spa to Swindon due 12:40
12:28 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa due 14:45
12:55 Swindon to Bath Spa due 13:26
13:00 Bath Spa to Swindon due 13:35
13:09 Port Talbot Parkway to London Paddington due 16:06
13:20 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington due 15:59
13:38 Bath Spa to Swindon due 14:05
13:46 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington due 16:01
14:16 Swindon to Bath Spa due 14:48
14:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa due 16:45
14:42 London Paddington to Hereford due 17:56
15:11 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 16:58
15:25 Bath Spa to Swindon due 15:52
15:42 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street due 18:06
15:46 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington due 18:01
16:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa due 18:46
16:37 London Paddington to Port Talbot Parkway due 19:35
16:43 Bath Spa to London Paddington due 18:22
17:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 18:43
17:46 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington due 20:00
18:26 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington due 21:00
18:27 London Paddington to Bath Spa due 20:08
18:30 Hereford to London Paddington due 22:13
18:43 Bath Spa to London Paddington due 20:22
18:57 London Paddington to Plymouth due 22:29
19:12 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 20:57
19:27 London Paddington to Bath Spa due 21:00
19:46 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington due 22:00
20:15 Westbury to Bath Spa due 20:43
20:21 Bath Spa to Swindon due 20:48
21:03 Bath Spa to Weymouth due 23:11
21:07 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 22:52
21:25 Swindon to Bath Spa due 21:58
21:25 Bath Spa to London Paddington due 23:22
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 23:57
22:17 Westbury to Bath Spa due 22:42
22:23 Bath Spa to Swindon due 22:50
22:33 London Paddington to Bristol Parkway due 00:17
23:15 Bath Spa to Westbury due 23:43
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 08, 2018, 08:55:02 »

Spare a thought for the passengers on the last Paddington - Cardiff service which "Will be terminated at Bristol Parkway due to lack of train crew"

Told at Paddington that there would be onward road transport to Newport and Cardiff available at Bristol Parkway.

Arrived at Parkway no road transport except a handful of taxis and almost as one the taxi drivers stood firm and refused to accept fares across the POW bridge claiming they'd been on duty since 14.00 or 16.00 hrs that day.

Harassed member of GWR (Great Western Railway) staff on duty made a couple of phone calls and established there was a coach on its way from West Bromwich and would be there in about two hours time.

He was finishing his shift and he had to secure the station for the night and so left the luckless passengers shivering in the vehicle entrance to the multi storey car park as that was about the only shelter available from the torrential rain that night.
West Bromwich!?!?!

How GWR can be allowed to get away with this is a joke.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 08, 2018, 08:58:09 »

Frankly that is a disgusting way to treat paying customers

Agreed. Totally

Agreed. With one proviso. If (s)he could not stay on due to health and safety rules / timeouts etc.  There is a slight possibility (I'm sure others will advise us) that staying on could have resulted in a significant disciplinary ... working too long a shift around the railway, etc ...

I understand the local constabulary were called and attended with a 'blue lighter' and advised the GWR (Great Western Railway) staff.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 08, 2018, 09:02:58 »

I’m not surprised the police were called after being told your bus is coming all the way from West Brom people would have had enough.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 08, 2018, 09:08:27 »

Cancellations so far today.........apparently the Famous Five are signing up with National Express.

I like that comment.

BUT what is the Rail Regulator / Minister of Transport doing about the situation, I'll tell you, sweet F A, because neither of them got any guts.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 08, 2018, 09:57:05 »

If, as appears to be the case it was known, hours in advance, that there was no driver available to take the service forward past Bristol and yet no provision was made by GWR for timely road transport, either by coach or taxi, and/or warm and secure accommodation to be made available whilst they waited, then something more than a "harsh talking to" is required, and at a somewhat higher level than the poor sap who was left to deal with it.

It is beyond comprehension that the disorganisation and disarray within GWR/First Group has got to such a stage that buses have to be summoned from the Midlands to Bristol to take customers on to Wales late at night, and for those already hugely inconvenienced passengers to have to wait hours on end for them to arrive.

As to Graham's comments about "elf and safety timeouts", you may recall that a couple of weeks ago the actions of a French Policeman, no doubt in contravention of Health and Safety advice, saved lives at the cost of his own.

I think that perhaps puts the dreadful dangers and self sacrifice of using one's discretion/common sense and sticking around to allow members of the public to wait in a safer, warmer and drier environment late at night into perspective.

I very much doubt he would have faced disciplinary action had he done so unless GWR wish to appear even more incompetent and ridiculous than they already do - it would perhaps however have been refreshing in the circumstances if a couple of Managers had shown leadership and pitched up to take over from him? It would be interesting to know what advice he was given in terms of closing the station.

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 08, 2018, 12:14:52 »

I am going to ask for a refund on my 3 year  Disabled Railcard, as there are simply not the trains to use it on! When the list of cancellations exceeds the number of services running, surely it is time for Hopwood to man up and speak out.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:22:50 by chuffed » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 08, 2018, 12:47:45 »

It would have been preferable for the station employee to remain at work beyond their normal departure time. It would be unreasonable to insist on this of course.
If the employee was unwilling to remain, then yes I agree that a manager should have been sent.

A point not yet mentioned however is that the employee might well have felt it dangerous to be on their own and surrounded by a crowd of increasingly enraged passengers.

This sounds to me like lack of basic competency on the part of GWR (Great Western Railway)

Initially, lack of basic competence in recruiting, training, and retaining enough staff to run the advertised service.
Later, lack of competence in arranging alternative transport in a timely fashion. It was known before the service left London that onward road transport would be needed.
And finally lack of basic competence in shutting up the station, presumably without any effort to arrange overtime working by existing staff, or substitute staff from elsewhere.

Whilst I would not support violence, had I been present, I might have been tempted to try a bit of passive resistance ! Simply sit in the waiting area and decline to move. It would take several policemen to carry me out, and since the police are often a lot more reasonable than "the railway" One might hope that the police might enquire as to what was going on.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
YouKnowNothing

View Profile Email
« Reply #554 on: April 08, 2018, 12:51:34 »

Has the experience been documented anywhere else other than this forum?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: