Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:38:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 424577 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: May 05, 2018, 07:44:54 »

UNBELIEVABLE! NO actually it’s not. Shocking and quite frankly poor. I thought there was a problem with RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) when I looked up trains today between Bath and London and most had disappeared as they originate from South Wales, then I came here.

So yesterday we had Mark Hopwood having a go at Network Rail for not finalising trains until last Wednesday only for his company to come along and do this. Hmmmmm.

Could be some serious issues at Swindon and Reading today.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 05, 2018, 07:51:21 »

Had planned to go to Didcot today with trainer leaving Temple Meads at 0940. The two following trains at 1040 and 1140 are cancelled. Don't fancy sharing a rammed train with pi55ed and pi55ed off rugby fans going to Twickenham who have had an early morning scramble for the ONLY train that will get them to the match in time. The 1642 return from Didcot is also cancelled. Leaving there at 1542 cuts the day short, while 1742 is rather a long time to wait after the 2 minutes of joy and discovery that is the rest of Didcot.

See how it looks on Monday.

So how will the rugby fans with tickets for the match fare when they get to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and find there is no train that will get them to the match in time for kick-off.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 05, 2018, 07:52:15 »

This really is a new low on the GW (Great Western) mainline and Grayling needs to get a grip. GWR (Great Western Railway) and Network Rail Western region aren’t fit for purpose.

My sympathies with anyone travelling to/from London or Twickenham today.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 05, 2018, 08:07:17 »

So how will the rugby fans with tickets for the match fare when they get to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and find there is no train that will get them to the match in time for kick-off ?

Given how tanked up, some of them will be, I hope BTP (British Transport Police) have got horses and riot shields on standby. A few water cannon ( apply to Boris Johnson) might be useful too.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 05, 2018, 08:23:19 »

Chiltern have apparently provided 18,754 extra seats between Oxford and Marylebone this weekend ... difficulty might be getting to Oxford. Also have Women's FA Cup Final at Wembley today.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 05, 2018, 08:35:20 »

So how will the rugby fans with tickets for the match fare when they get to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and find there is no train that will get them to the match in time for kick-off ?

Given how tanked up, some of them will be, I hope BTP (British Transport Police) have got horses and riot shields on standby. A few water cannon ( apply to Boris Johnson) might be useful too.

I suspect that there will be a number of very wealthy taxi drivers by the end of the day, with receipts and compensation claim forms landing on GWRs (Great Western Railway) desks early next week.

There'll be no need for horses or riot shields, these are rugby folks remember, many of whom will be current/ex servicemen to boot, not football morons.

There's also all the Exeter Chiefs fans travelling to the Stoop for their match with Quins too of course.

Now if it was Swansea v Chelsea today.......it may have got interesting.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 05, 2018, 08:53:26 »

As others have posted, rugby fans are less liable to bad behaviour than are football fans, in general.
However I do perceive some risk of disorder even from rugby fans if provoked to the extent that looks likely.
It would seem that fans will get as far as Bristol, but then find no effective service to Reading.

In my view, GWR (Great Western Railway) should be held liable for consequential losses in this case, such as a refund of the money paid for rugby tickets, and the costs of taxis.
GWR and other TOCs (Train Operating Company) are very keen to extract penalty fares from passengers who have "made a mistake", perhaps this should work both ways ? Since GWR have "made a mistake" by not running an effective service, they should consider a flat rate penalty payment of say £80 to each passenger affected. This should be in addition to refunding wasted tickets to matches and useless railway tickets. Just as a penalty fare is in addition to payment of the fare evaded.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 05, 2018, 09:14:36 »

I’m on the 07:27 from London Paddington to Plymouth.  We stopped at Oxford to change crew and am
Now approaching Swindon.

It’s busy but by no means overcrowded.  However suspect later services will be different.

Apparently yesterday around 400 travelled to Penzance for the Gig racing festival on the Isles of Scilly.  I wonder how their travel was.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 05, 2018, 09:26:43 »

UNBELIEVABLE! NO actually it’s not. Shocking and quite frankly poor. I thought there was a problem with RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) when I looked up trains today between Bath and London and most had disappeared as they originate from South Wales, then I came here.

So yesterday we had Mark Hopwood having a go at Network Rail for not finalising trains until last Wednesday only for his company to come along and do this. Hmmmmm.

Presumably they could not do a crew roster until there was some sort of timetable, which might have been another reason for Mr Hopwood's letter. 
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #654 on: May 05, 2018, 09:50:00 »

Have read elsewhere that GWR (Great Western Railway) didn't receive the Timetable for today from Network Rail until 1700 last night.    How can GWR be expected to plan accordingly.

Presumably they could not do a crew roster until there was some sort of timetable, which might have been another reason for Mr Hopwood's letter. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 05, 2018, 09:51:31 »

There'll be no need for horses or riot shields, these are rugby folks remember, many of whom will be current/ex servicemen to boot, not football morons.

As others have posted, rugby fans are less liable to bad behaviour than are football fans, in general.
However I do perceive some risk of disorder even from rugby fans if provoked to the extent that looks likely.

Rugby fans apparently are more of a nuisance to the British Transport Police than football fans.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 05, 2018, 09:54:52 »

But surely they knew they were going to run an hourly service to/from South Wales using a similar timetable to times previous when services have operated via Oxford? It’s been on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) for a few weeks just with big gaps in the timetable.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 05, 2018, 09:59:38 »

I disagree. Shortage of train crew is a serious and ongoing problem. It would therefore have made sense to roster ALL AVIALABLE train crew, even if the exact duties required of each worker were not known.

I hope that GWR (Great Western Railway) have not been so incompetent as leave otherwise available crew sitting at home, whilst cancelling numerous trains.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 05, 2018, 10:08:46 »

Twitter message from GWR (Great Western Railway) supports this view.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 05, 2018, 10:10:56 »

Lets hope the Transport Select Committee gets hold of this and drags in all of the responsible NR» (Network Rail - home page) and GWR (Great Western Railway) managers and gives them all a good spanking.... Tongue
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: