Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:43:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 424413 times)
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: May 20, 2018, 18:43:14 »

Possibly, but the other three services seem to be running.

The Okehampton driver duty have been split across three diagrams meaning 3 drivers with route knowledge needed...
The guard's is still one.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 21, 2018, 06:51:04 »

Possibly, but the other three services seem to be running.

The Okehampton driver duty have been split across three diagrams meaning 3 drivers with route knowledge needed...
The guard's is still one.

I guess with 3 drivers there is always one free to look after the BBQ? 😉
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 26, 2018, 06:58:55 »

One train you really don’t want to cancel heading SW on a half term bank holiday weekend:

09:03 London Paddington to Penzance due 14:27 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train guards.

Wouldn’t want to be on the 10:03.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 26, 2018, 07:46:37 »

Agreed - although I am surprised there are not more cancellations/short workings given it is a bank holiday weekend and half term.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 26, 2018, 07:47:34 »

I’ll let you know - as I’m on the 10:03 (with reservations in Coach B)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 26, 2018, 08:00:44 »

Agreed - although I am surprised there are not more cancellations/short workings given it is a bank holiday weekend and half term.
Yes it appears GWR (Great Western Railway) have faired better this time around with sorting out the rosters in time for the weekend. Mind you I should wait before saying that as we haven’t seen what’s to come for Sunday yet!

A few cancellations/short workings spread around the West local part of the service which we haven’t seen much of late.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 26, 2018, 08:23:04 »

Yes it appears GWR (Great Western Railway) have faired better this time around with sorting out the rosters in time for the weekend. Mind you I should wait before saying that as we haven’t seen what’s to come for Sunday yet!

A few cancellations/short workings spread around the West local part of the service which we haven’t seen much of late.

Not too bad (so far) apart from (inevitably) the Cotswold line, and I'd have thought GWR could make the advice a bit more helpful...……….several like this

09:18 London Paddington to Evesham due 11:19

09:18 London Paddington to Evesham due 11:19 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train drivers.
Further Information
Customers are advised to travel on the next available train service.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 26, 2018, 09:55:43 »

Reservations on the 10:93 have been cancelled  Sad

Doubling the misery from one train load of passengers to two train loads.

Railway logic at work again Sad
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 26, 2018, 11:48:24 »

Reservations on the 10:93 have been cancelled  Sad

Doubling the misery from one train load of passengers to two train loads.

Railway logic at work again Sad

I have very limited faith in reservations.
When is there plenty of room, you don't really need a reservation, though it is nice to have just in case.
When you really want/need a reservation due to overcrowding, then they are either not enforced or not put out.

I try to avoid rail travel at times when experience suggests that overcrowding is likely. I have however been caught out by unforeseen circumstances such as the cancellation of a previous train.
On at least two occasions my reserved seat has been occupied by someone else who has declined to move. Being reluctant to thump them, there is no option but standing.
On other occasions I have taken my reserved seat by arriving in plenty of time but still faced considerable argument from others who felt that they had a greater need.

One particular problem is when someone has booked a seat on a cancelled train , they often feel that they are entitled to that seat on the following service.

These days of course we have the added joys of the new shorter trains and what to do about reservations for the missing 5 coaches when 5 turn up instead of 5+5, or when an HST (High Speed Train) deputises for an IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.).

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 26, 2018, 11:53:37 »

So .. the 10:03 ex PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) arrived full and standing with passengers - like my family - left on the platform as it departed. Bursting.

Talked to the Dispatch Manager (sterling lady trying her utmost to get people on trains) and decided that the best way to get on a train and pay for first class upgrade (for 4 adults and 2 children - gulp !).

Boarded coach L to find both L and K has no seats - and the  train manager announcing that there were no first class upgrades Sad

A seat was found for my 78 year old father-in-law, so kudos points to the train crew for that.

Overall we have paid just over £1000 pounds for return tickets - for the privilege of standing/sitting on a vestibule floor.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 26, 2018, 12:05:49 »

Very poor, and increasingly common, regrettably.
Under the circumstances, I don't see what else the staff could have done.

If however GWR (Great Western Railway) were running their business competently, by engaging enough staff to reliably run the advertised service, then this sort of situation would not regularly arise.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 26, 2018, 12:06:35 »

Oh - and the continuous scrolling messages on the platform train destination boards detailing the  better, faster, more trains railway in 2019 caused many a sarcastic comment from GWR (Great Western Railway) customers.

‘All for nothing/waste of money’ if trains can’t be run to the published timetables now was the general sentiment. Perhaps a little more flowery language was used though.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #717 on: May 26, 2018, 12:41:19 »

Most of the crew shortages today seem to be at the back end rather than drivers
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 26, 2018, 14:01:51 »

Thought it was too good to last, cancellations are rolling in thick and fast now............…usual reasons, no drivers/Guards.

They'd better not cancel any more Exeter services this evening with Chiefs playing at Twickenham this afternoon.

09:03 London Paddington to Penzance due 14:27
12:18 London Paddington to Moreton-In-Marsh due 14:00
12:28 Evesham to London Paddington due 14:30
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare due 14:40
12:58 Oxford to London Paddington due 14:00
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 15:20
14:40 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 16:38
14:48 London Paddington to Oxford due 15:50
15:00 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington due 17:38
15:28 Evesham to London Paddington due 17:30
15:29 Swansea to London Paddington due 19:14
15:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare due 17:40
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance due 21:28
16:18 London Paddington to Evesham due 18:23
16:29 Swansea to London Paddington due 20:14
16:40 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 18:37
16:58 Oxford to London Paddington due 18:00
17:00 Brighton to Bristol Temple Meads due 20:28
17:00 London Paddington to Carmarthen due 21:48
17:03 London Paddington to Plymouth due 20:35
17:25 Evesham to London Paddington due 19:30
17:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare due 19:50
18:00 London Paddington to Swansea due 21:43
18:00 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington due 20:40
18:18 London Paddington to Evesham due 20:23
18:48 London Paddington to Oxford due 19:50
19:20 Westbury to Southampton Central due 20:22
20:45 London Paddington to Swansea due 00:25
21:36 Evesham to London Paddington due 23:51
21:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth due 22:08
22:16 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads due 22:50
22:20 London Paddington to Oxford due 23:27
23:35 Reading to Gatwick Airport due 01:05
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 14:18:20 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 26, 2018, 14:27:49 »

disappointing after a reasonable start. Big gaps in IC (Inter City) services appearing later in the afternoon.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: