I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:09:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 424488 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: July 01, 2018, 09:58:09 »

…….here we go again...……..

Cancellations to services between London Paddington and Swindon

Due to a shortage of train crew between London Paddington and Swindon:

Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
Customer Advice
Owing to a shortage of train crew there will be reduction in the frequency of train services between London Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads / London Paddington and Bristol Parkway / London Paddington and Cheltenham Spa in both directions. This is likely to be the case for the remainder of the day.

Intending customers are advised to use the 'JourneyCheck' section of the GWR (Great Western Railway) website for the latest updates on cancelled, altered and reinstated train services during the day.

Love this update!  Roll Eyes

Kindly note that at certain times this may result in successive train cancellations along the London Paddington - Reading - Didcot Parkway - Swindon corridor.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 01, 2018, 10:17:31 »

If people haven’t got the message by now that travelling GWR (Great Western Railway) on Sundays is a complete lottery. Even if your train does show up you will likely be sharing it with those whose train was cancelled earlier leading to sardine like conditions.

And still GWR bombard us with the Famous Five advertising campaign encouraging us to go on ‘a great adventure’ on their trains.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 01, 2018, 10:24:05 »

I like this one....

11:18 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington due 13:30 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.
Additional Information
----snip----
Customers travelling from Cheltenham Spa or Gloucester to Swindon, Reading and London Paddington should travel via Bristol Parkway.

Journey times will be extended by up to 60 minutes.

Ok, so the next train to arrive Bristol Parkway first from Cheltenham is the 12:10 which arrives Bristol Parkway at 12:39, not bad as the next service to Paddington is at 12:45 so that shouldn't delay me too much  Smiley .......... Oh...

12:45 Bristol Parkway to London Paddington due 14:43 will be cancelled.

Oh well, I'll just wait an hour for the next service from Bristol Parkway instead......

13:45 Bristol Parkway to London Paddington due 15:40 will be cancelled.
They need to revise that advice  Roll Eyes Best to stay on the train and travel to Temple Meads. Of course there will be those due to travel on the 1245 from South Wales and Parkway joining the 1239 train. I can’t imagine the chaos at stations this causes when everyone tries to get on an already packed train. I feel for the station staff I really do. Perhaps it would be good for Mark Hopwood and his senior management to help out at Bristol Parkway today.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 01, 2018, 10:49:50 »

Do any railway MD's / Senior management come out at weekends?

(And yes I know certain ones aren't often seen on weekdays either)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #829 on: July 01, 2018, 11:14:29 »

My understanding is that there is a member of very senior management on call to deal with any out of the ordinary issues at "unusual" times ... the specific data I have relates to the Christmas and New Year period, but I'm pretty sure it applies at other times too - and I expect I could name about half a dozen people who would / will be on the rota.

But they are to deal with "out of the ordinary" issues.  Sadly, this weekend's meltdowns are ordinary.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 01, 2018, 12:15:22 »

In the past when I regularly visited Cardiff at weekends I very often saw the MD, I think, of Wales and Borders Trains, (you know the outfit that was the other part of Wales and West Trains when they split and the other half became Wessex Trains and Valley Lines was still an independent operation) Chris Gibbs out on the frontline at Cardiff Central assisting with the despatch of trains, particularly after an event at the Millenium Stadium, assisting passengers with their enquiries AND PICKING UP LITTER, REMOVING USED COFFEE CUPS FROM PLATFORM SEATS and I thought at the time that he was a shinning example of a top dog getting his hands "dirty". Chris of course went on to become MD of a VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) franchise succeeding another Chris, Chris Green, he of Network South-East fame. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 01, 2018, 12:38:51 »

In the past when I regularly visited Cardiff at weekends I very often saw the MD, I think, of Wales and Borders Trains, (you know the outfit that was the other part of Wales and West Trains when they split and the other half became Wessex Trains and Valley Lines was still an independent operation) Chris Gibbs out on the frontline at Cardiff Central assisting with the despatch of trains, particularly after an event at the Millenium Stadium, assisting passengers with their enquiries AND PICKING UP LITTER, REMOVING USED COFFEE CUPS FROM PLATFORM SEATS and I thought at the time that he was a shinning example of a top dog getting his hands "dirty". Chris of course went on to become MD of a VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) franchise succeeding another Chris, Chris Green, he of Network South-East fame. 

That's an excellent example of  the difference between Leadership & Management. In contrast, GWR (Great Western Railway) seems to be over supplied with the latter, and desperately lacking the former.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:44:11 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 01, 2018, 12:57:20 »

That's an excellent example of  the difference between Leadership & Management. In contrast, GWR (Great Western Railway) seems to be over supplied with the latter, and desperately lacking the former.
It would be useful if they could all drive trains.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 01, 2018, 13:16:51 »

It would be useful if they could all drive trains.

Careful! Don't let the Unions hear that, they'll have everyone out on strike! 😃
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 01, 2018, 14:03:25 »

If I consult Journey Check on the NR» (Network Rail - home page) site at this moment on Sunday 1st July (13:50) I see that there is a Good Service.  I feel one could have a semantic discussion at this point as the 14:00 to Bristol is cancelled 'due to an issue with the train crew' (Real Time Trains). So are the 15:00 to Taunton and 15:30 to Bristol.  If management rely on the same information as pax then there's no need to be out on a hot day explaining and the front line staff are left to give the glad tidings.

Edited to include missing word.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 22:03:00 by trainer » Logged
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 08, 2018, 09:32:42 »

20 cancellations today. 18 due to a shortage of train crew. None of those are the Cheltenham line, however 14:00-18:00 a few services between Paddington and Bristol/Cardiff/Swansea are cancelled. The rest are lines in Cornwall.

I could say this is an improvment from this time (two/three) weeks ago?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #836 on: July 08, 2018, 10:42:06 »

Certainly an improvement for us [TransWilts] over yesterday, where after the 13:32 round trip only the 21:06 from Swindon actually ran as far as I can tell.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: July 08, 2018, 12:17:44 »

It is unless you so happen to be booked on one of the cancelled services or the one that follows the cancelled train.

I can’t begin to imagine what service will be offered if England reach the World Cup Final next Sunday.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 08, 2018, 13:25:10 »

It’s coming home... via replacement bus service.
Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 08, 2018, 19:01:38 »

If England are in the World Cup Final I imagine the number of travellers will reduce greatly.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: