Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:59:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 427292 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: August 05, 2018, 21:28:13 »

Getting back to talking about traincrews again, discussion seems to concentrate on drivers and guards but, according to peope's Tweets to GWR (Great Western Railway), it seems that there are many instances of catering crew not available even on a journey from Penzance to London on a Sunday.    GWR Journey Check tends not to show them even as there is a box for the info to be posted.

Makes sense. If the catering staff are working, there's no one to do the BBQ for the drivers that aren't. The Union is very strict about this sort of thing......one driver flips a burger and we'd be looking at months of strikes! ☺
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 05, 2018, 22:18:14 »

Hmmm... You don't want to risk overcooking your BBQ references, TG.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 12, 2018, 07:41:56 »

From the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers):

SUNDAY WORKING, GUARDS – GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY

Further to my Circular No IR/300/18 dated the 4th July 2018 with regards to the above matter and where I informed you of the meeting with our GWR (Great Western Railway) Divisional Council Representatives, the Lead Officer and National Officers to discuss the union’s negotiating position regarding the issues raised in the resolution received from our Plymouth No 1 Branch.

“That this Plymouth No 1 Branch recognises that the GWR Guard Sunday enhancement payment is reaching its trial conclusion. Branch reiterates its position that Sunday Working Payments should include all grades that this Union represents and demands that any future talks should be inclusive of all grades.

Branch believes that a 1¾ payment with ‘no strings’ is a practical solution to solve the ongoing Sunday Working issue. Should there be no satisfactory outcome, then we urge the NEC» (National Exhibition Centre - about) to create a dispute situation between this Union and the GWR.

Branch is aware that the IET (Intercity Express Train) sets are operational and that the travelling public have not been happy with the absence of a buffet car/shop facility on board. We request that the NEC re-open talks about the inclusion of a buffet car/shop facility in line with the East Coast IET sets which will create a better service for passengers and a better and safer working environment for our members."

I can now advise you that following conclusion of this meeting, the union’s National Executive Committee has again considered the matter and I have been instructed to negotiate a Sunday Working Agreement for all grades with Great Western Railway. Therefore, I am in the process of making the necessary arrangements for a meeting to be held and I will, of course, keep you fully advised on any further developments as and when the arise.

In accordance with the above, I would be most grateful if you could bring the content of this circular to the attention of your GWR Guard members.

Best wishes.

Mick Cash
General Secretary

http://www.rmt.org.uk/news/members-updates/sunday-working-guards--great-western-railway090818/

A typical RMT starting point to negotiations. "Give us what we want or we'll strike."  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:03:43 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 12, 2018, 08:16:15 »

Not looking good if you are travelling to/from Cheltenham today, otherwise a good service elsewhere.

Cancellations to services between London Paddington and Cheltenham Spa
Due to a shortage of train crew between London Paddington and Cheltenham Spa fewer trains are able to run.
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
Customer Advice
CrossCountry are conveying passengers between Cheltenham Spa and Bristol Temple Meads via Gloucester in both directions until further notice. Arrangements have been made for Great Western Railway rail tickets to be accepted for these journeys.
Additional Information
Replacement Road Transport has been requested to run in place of cancelled trains between Swindon and Gloucester. This has yet to be confirmed.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 12, 2018, 12:33:33 »

I spoke to soon, the list of cancellations and short workings has increased as the day has progressed particularly on West local services.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 12, 2018, 17:33:25 »

I spoke to soon, the list of cancellations and short workings has increased as the day has progressed particularly on West local services.

Same old same old Sunday  Roll Eyes
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #891 on: August 12, 2018, 18:46:31 »

There are 3 services cancelled in each direction between Swansea and Paddington that haven't even been posted on Journey Check.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 12, 2018, 20:47:09 »

There are 3 services cancelled in each direction between Swansea and Paddington that haven't even been posted on Journey Check.
A few London-Bristol-London trains added to the list as well. After what looked to be a good service away from the Cheltenham line, in the end as Taplow Green says Same old same old Sunday.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 12, 2018, 20:58:25 »

With the last train of the day to South Wales the 2130 cancelled, how do GWR (Great Western Railway) intend to get people for South Wales home tonight? Note just to help things the 2200 to Bristol is cancelled too.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 12, 2018, 21:07:47 »

With the last train of the day to South Wales the 2130 cancelled, how do GWR (Great Western Railway) intend to get people for South Wales home tonight? Note just to help things the 2200 to Bristol is cancelled too.
And here’s my answer, just reinstated. Good work.

21:30 London Paddington to Swansea due 00:53 will be reinstated.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 10.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 13, 2018, 06:22:33 »

Monday morning......all cancelled, no crew.

05:18 Reading to London Paddington due 06:16
05:32 Reading to Gatwick Airport due 06:54
06:20 London Paddington to Oxford due 07:22
06:30 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington due 08:42
06:33 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 08:14
06:42 London Paddington to Reading due 07:43
07:03 Gatwick Airport to Reading due 08:29
08:07 Oxford to London Paddington due 09:10
08:50 London Paddington to Oxford due 09:51
11:01 Oxford to London Paddington due 11:58

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 15, 2018, 05:55:42 »

Morning peak LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) services. All cancelled. Given the time of year, I suspect this is down to poor management of resources/allowing too much Annual Leave?

05:57 Reading to London Paddington due 06:36

06:15 Reading to London Paddington due 06:45

06:20 London Paddington to Oxford due 07:22

06:42 London Paddington to Reading due 07:43

07:44 Maidenhead to London Paddington due 08:18

07:50 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington due 08:53

08:07 Oxford to London Paddington due 09:07

08:29 London Paddington to Reading due 09:25
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 17, 2018, 15:23:10 »

From the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers):

Branch is aware that the IET (Intercity Express Train) sets are operational and that the travelling public have not been happy with the absence of a buffet car/shop facility on board. We request that the NEC» (National Exhibition Centre - about) re-open talks about the inclusion of a buffet car/shop facility in line with the East Coast IET sets which will create a better service for passengers and a better and safer working environment for our members."[/i]

Best wishes.

Mick Cash
General Secretary

Hmmmm I treat this with some cynicism, Back in 2014 they striked over no buffet cars on IET's, and now they're saying the public as whole complains about no buffet's where is the proof?  If it had come from Passenger Focus then I would accept it. I do believe on the whole the IET project is a complete balls up, but we will just have to make do for 10 years or so until they get refurbished.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 17, 2018, 15:49:00 »

On a Friday in August, probably one of the worst to cancel;

17:33 London Paddington to Paignton due 21:19
17:33 London Paddington to Paignton due 21:19 will be cancelled.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 17, 2018, 15:56:27 »

On a Friday in August, probably one of the worst to cancel;

17:33 London Paddington to Paignton due 21:19
17:33 London Paddington to Paignton due 21:19 will be cancelled.

Given this is a Peak service, it is not so crucial for long distance travellers, so I would suggest that, if any are to be cancelled, then this is the prime candidate.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: