Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:58:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 424453 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: December 13, 2019, 13:41:18 »

I appreciate the efforts being made to let everyone who they can inform of the expected issues this weekend.

That is indeed a welcome approach rather than just putting up a raft of cancellations on the day.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: December 13, 2019, 16:59:08 »

Just received an email from GWR (Great Western Railway) to say my train won’t be running this Sunday. I appreciate the efforts being made to let everyone who they can inform of the expected issues this weekend.

We have no choice but to return home Sunday evening so are hoping for the best.

I really feel for you Timmer - this is the reason why I gave up on travelling long distance (PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) with GWR on Sundays a few years ago - if they run, they're generally colossally overcrowded and all too often there are mass cancellations with pathetic excuses like this.

Customers deserve better - the fact they have warned you in advance is, I guess, of some small comfort, but I feel even more for people who aren't contacted and turn up to find the inevitable chaos.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: December 13, 2019, 17:17:04 »

I really feel for you Timmer - this is the reason why I gave up on travelling long distance (PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) with GWR (Great Western Railway) on Sundays a few years ago - if they run, they're generally colossally overcrowded and all too often there are mass cancellations with pathetic excuses like this.

Customers deserve better - the fact they have warned you in advance is, I guess, of some small comfort, but I feel even more for people who aren't contacted and turn up to find the inevitable chaos.
Thx TG. I’m with you and Broadgage in that I don’t like using the railways at weekends for the many and varied reasons. The service seems second best compared to weekdays.

I have a plan to travel via Bath changing there but hoping not to bump into Bath Christmas market traffic heading home on the last day. There is a chance that GWR may announce on the day that the service half an hour later after the train we were due to travel on may make additional stops in which case we shall wait at Paddington and catch that one so we have options. We will just have to make sure we get to the train in good time as it could be very busy.

I feel more for people heading to/from the SW where services are going to be most affected.

In the meantime we shall enjoy our weekend in London with family and friends and cross the bridge of getting home Sunday evening when we come to it.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: December 14, 2019, 16:20:45 »

Getting warmed up for tomorrow - all cancelled due to crew shortage - despite GWR (Great Western Railway) telling people that they can use tickets for tomorrow today, they have cancelled (amongst others) the 2003 which is the last service of the day to the Westcountry - it'll be interesting to see what contingency plans are in place to get people back to Plymouth.

15:01 Plymouth to London Paddington due 18:21

16:03 London Paddington to Plymouth due 19:21

17:00 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington due 19:06

17:04 Reading to Redhill due 18:23

18:30 Redhill to Reading due 19:51

19:27 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway due 20:48

20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth due 23:45

21:02 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington due 22:31

22:35 Reading to Oxford due 23:17

23:43 London Paddington to Reading due 00:42
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 16:30:01 by TaplowGreen » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: December 14, 2019, 16:56:18 »

Getting warmed up for tomorrow - all cancelled due to crew shortage - despite GWR (Great Western Railway) telling people that they can use tickets for tomorrow today, they have cancelled (amongst others) the 2003 which is the last service of the day to the Westcountry - it'll be interesting to see what contingency plans are in place to get people back to Plymouth.

They must have heard your frustration TG, as the Plymouth cancellation has moved from the 2003 back to the earlier 1903......
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: December 14, 2019, 17:31:11 »

They must have heard your frustration TG, as the Plymouth cancellation has moved from the 2003 back to the earlier 1903......

According to Journeycheck the 2003 is cancelled, the 1903 is "starting late", both due to crew shortage.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 14, 2019, 17:43:45 »

How late is “starting late”?

I’ve travelled on the 1903 and it’s normally a busy train full of London day trippers from the SW heading home.

RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) is showing the 1903 as actually cancelled “due to late arrival of an inbound service”.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: December 14, 2019, 19:24:31 »

As of now (1923), 1903 is showing "delayed" due to crew shortage, 2003 cancelled for same reason.

Could be some long taxi rides tonight.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: December 14, 2019, 19:35:59 »

The 1903 has just left at 1935 and the 2003 is now cancelled again...... Roll Eyes
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: December 14, 2019, 20:15:23 »

So people were advised by GWR (Great Western Railway) to travel today/Monday to avoid the impending chaos tomorrow......and what happens?

The p**s up in a brewery analogy would seem both ironic and appropriate in the circumstances, given the main reason for tomorrow's no shows.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: December 14, 2019, 23:50:27 »

The 1903 has just left at 1935 and the 2003 is now cancelled again...... Roll Eyes
Leaving that late it may have picked up some early arriving passengers for the 2003 who I bet were breathing a huge sigh of relief that they arrived at Paddington early.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: December 15, 2019, 07:28:36 »

Extract from the GWR (Great Western Railway) information release above
On the route between London Paddington and South Wales GWR will continue to operate an hourly service between London and Swansea;

They couldn't even manage that with half the Swansea services being cancelled today on top of all the 'additional' Cardiff services that are not showing on Journeycheck because they were cancelled a couple of days in advance.

Also not mentioned on Journeycheck is they have added an hourly Paddington-Reading-Didcot service to slightly compensate for today.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: December 15, 2019, 08:41:50 »

Extract from the GWR (Great Western Railway) information release above
On the route between London Paddington and South Wales GWR will continue to operate an hourly service between London and Swansea;

They couldn't even manage that with half the Swansea services being cancelled today on top of all the 'additional' Cardiff services that are not showing on Journeycheck because they were cancelled a couple of days in advance.

Also not mentioned on Journeycheck is they have added an hourly Paddington-Reading-Didcot service to slightly compensate for today.

Yes, every cancellation/alteration you see listed on Journeycheck is in ADDITION to everything already cancelled/altered earlier this week and removed from the system.

Now I am really concerned for those heading South West as both the 1403 and 1603 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PNZ have been added to the already badly affected SW timetable with even some of the Bristol’s, which could have helped those heading SW axed as well.

We can only hope for some later reinstatements. I don’t know what I’m going to find when we arrive at Paddington later this afternoon. What a start to the new timetable. Sad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: December 15, 2019, 09:20:52 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) Twitter response seems to consist of "Sorry, we've got a crew shortage, you can catch the next train"

Interesting also that they are advising that they are "trying to source" road transport - they've known that this was going to happen for days, if not longer - why was this, at the very least, not put in place in a timely fashion?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: December 15, 2019, 09:41:45 »

Light the blue touch paper and retire......

This was posted elsewhere by an GWR (Great Western Railway) insider:
With a large number of depots' Christmas parties last night (and the complete failure to negotiate Sunday's inside the working week for the last 20 years) today was going to be a challenge!

The sad fact is that the timetable today is dictated by where the class 80x fleet needs to be tomorrow so that Hitachi dont have an excuse to short form....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: