09:00 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough
09:10 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central
09:20 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 09:03:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[211] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[74] You see all sorts on the bus.
[71] "Mayflower"
[66] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] tram/rail meet up
[53] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 428310 times)
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: December 28, 2019, 21:33:19 »

Similar crew shortage problems today causing cancellations/foreshortenings, to which are added an additional number of short formations from Penzance/Plymouth - Paddington (5 instead of 10), ensuring some extremely uncomfortable journeys.

Not that it is any consolation, but all the Great Northern trains from Kings Cross to Cambridge were also cancelled due to lack of train crews today, so its not just GWR (Great Western Railway). Did mean I got to experience a different route out of Liverpool Street with Greater Anglia, but thats not something I wish to repeat, the train was so old I was surprised it didn't fall apart on the way...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1366 on: December 29, 2019, 08:04:39 »

Similar crew shortage problems today causing cancellations/foreshortenings, to which are added an additional number of short formations from Penzance/Plymouth - Paddington (5 instead of 10), ensuring some extremely uncomfortable journeys.

Not that it is any consolation, but all the Great Northern trains from Kings Cross to Cambridge were also cancelled due to lack of train crews today, so its not just GWR (Great Western Railway). Did mean I got to experience a different route out of Liverpool Street with Greater Anglia, but thats not something I wish to repeat, the train was so old I was surprised it didn't fall apart on the way...

I followed up and got rather dragged off topic looking far wider - so I have split the topic.  Looking at crew shortages and where the railway might be going in coming years ... http://www.passenger.chat/22668

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: December 30, 2019, 20:39:14 »

I would argue that Hitachi should lengthen a few of the 5 car units to 9 car at their expense.
As compensation to the customer for not meeting the promised levels of availability and the consequent overcrowding.
We fairly regularly see a dozen or more half length trains a day, perhaps three or four diagrams.
Lengthening 4 of the 5 car units to 9 car would greatly reduce short formations.

It might be worth GWR (Great Western Railway) paying for additional lengthening, but it seems reasonable for Hitachi to pay for the first few.

Well Hitachi have made no bones about the fact they want a rail franchise.....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: January 26, 2020, 11:21:47 »

A handful of HSS (High Speed Services) cancellations today due to train crew shortages.  That might not seem too bad, but it bodes very badly for the summer on Sunday's if they can't muster up enough crew on a late January to operate the advertised service!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: February 08, 2020, 08:16:52 »

All cancelled - no crew. Rather fortunate that Wales are playing in Dublin today.

Several foreshortenings as well.

A number of the Welsh services that are running are 5 instead of 9/10 too which won't help.

11:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 13:40
12:17 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 14:14
12:49 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 14:44
13:17 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 15:18
13:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 15:43
14:17 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 16:14
14:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 16:41
15:17 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 17:12
15:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 17:40
16:17 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 18:12
16:51 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 18:44
17:51 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 19:44
18:47 London Paddington to Swansea due 21:33
19:47 London Paddington to Swansea due 22:31
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: February 08, 2020, 08:33:14 »

All cancelled - no crew. Rather fortunate that Wales are playing in Dublin today.
First silly thought I had was that was the reason for the high number of cancellations on services to and from South Wales was because they wanted to stay home and watch the match on the telly! But Saturday is part of the working week so it must be down to high levels of staff sickness.

When I saw the list I thought is it Sunday as that’s what I’m expecting to see tomorrow; possibly much longer.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: February 08, 2020, 08:40:53 »

But Saturday is part of the working week so it must be down to high levels of staff sickness.

In rugby circles it's known as "International Flu", and tends to strike around this time of year every year, always at weekends (for some reason!)  Wink
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: February 08, 2020, 08:57:56 »

I think with the forecasted storm tomorrow and the blanket speed restriction across virtually the entire network ticket restrictions have been lifted so passengers can travel today or Monday which won’t help.
I understand they have planned for major disruption with crew diagrams abandoned. Trains will just run when they’re available and then crewed accordingly
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: February 08, 2020, 10:04:10 »

Indeed, expect a lot of delays tomorrow as 50mph restrictions are being enforced in several areas due to the exceptional winds expected.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: February 08, 2020, 12:00:08 »

A number of the Welsh services that are running are 5 instead of 9/10 too which won't help.

These Cardiff’s are all additional trains to what used to run on Saturday‘s up until December.  It doesn’t look good for weekend travel over the summer if they can’t find crew for them in February.  Had the rugby been on I’m sure other routes would have suffered instead.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: February 08, 2020, 14:52:33 »

These Cardiff’s are all additional trains to what used to run on Saturday‘s up until December.  It doesn’t look good for weekend travel over the summer if they can’t find crew for them in February.  Had the rugby been on I’m sure other routes would have suffered instead.

I thought Saturdays were part of the working week? Why therefore would there be a problem finding crew for them?

It'd be interesting to know where all the missing crew were today.

As for tomorrow, at least there seems to be some communication taking place;

https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/live-network-updates/disruption-information

Absolutely no excuse for trains being shortformed in these circumstances
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: February 08, 2020, 15:00:58 »

A sensible thinning out of the timetable given the forecast giving the best chance of running something usable. However that will be subject to what affect the weather has on the network in our part of the world.

a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: February 08, 2020, 16:57:20 »

I thought Saturdays were part of the working week? Why therefore would there be a problem finding crew for them?

It'd be interesting to know where all the missing crew were today.

Would be interesting to know if these cancellations are all Swansea based diagrams, there seems to be very few other mass cancellations affecting other depots.  This would indicate an issue such as depot rosters/diagrams have not been agreed between GWR (Great Western Railway) and the union and they’re working on emergency rostering.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: February 09, 2020, 09:08:17 »

Absolutely no excuse for trains being shortformed in these circumstances

No IET (Intercity Express Train) short forms currently listed.  There may well be tomorrow though depending on what ends up where at the end of the day as stock will be all over the place compared with the base diagrams.

old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: February 19, 2020, 14:17:57 »

Cornish branch lines losing a few services today and that's without having to run the St Ives. Half term??

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: