Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:15:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A rather inconvenient train  (Read 5408 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2017, 10:03:56 »

Given the day of the week and time of the night I can foresee a few problems for late night travellers on this one...

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 10:26:55 »

Given the day of the week and time of the night I can foresee a few problems for late night travellers on this one...

Could be a wee problem ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 12:34:08 »

If you gotta go, you gotta go!

Tiddles on platforms I suspect
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 15:08:45 »

If you gotta go, you gotta go!

Tiddles on platforms I suspect

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 19:39:43 »

How can it be known at 0838 that there will be no toilet facilities on a train 12 hours later?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 19:49:20 »

It has been showing up on that diagram all day, although you would ythink that a set swap could have been arranged before that late working.  At least one Cl 143 was running around Devon on Wednesday with no toilet facilities as I had teh "pleasure of a round trip Exeter/Exmouth/Barnstaple/Exeter on it. Cross legged by the end  Roll Eyes

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 20:02:18 »

How can it be known at 0838 that there will be no toilet facilities on a train 12 hours later?

At 1 o'clock the message was updated to show the service would now be three coaches rather than two - but still no toilet.  Not sure if that's correct.  Has a longer train with no toilets been swapped for a shorter one also without toilets or has part of the old message been left in error?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 21:22:51 »

Was the GWR (Great Western Railway) working into Cardiff forming that service also shown as bogless?

Is there a 150 set running around formed DMS (Driving Motor Standard )-DMS instead of the usual DMS-DMSL (Driving Motor Standard Lavatory )?

DMS Driving Motor Standard
DMSL Driving Motor Standard Lavatory

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 21:38:03 »

Both now added to the Coffee Shop forum's list of abbreviations and acronymsSmiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 21:54:48 »

It is being worked from Cardiff to Bristol by 2x150/9s. the rear one detaching Bristol TM(resolve).   It is booked 2 sets for this portion of the journey, a 150/9 going on to Exeter and a 150 detaching at Bristol TM.    So it may not be bogless now as the notification has been removed from Journey Check..
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 23:01:02 »

It is being worked from Cardiff to Bristol by 2x150/9s. the rear one detaching Bristol TM(resolve).   It is booked 2 sets for this portion of the journey, a 150/9 going on to Exeter and a 150 detaching at Bristol TM.    So it may not be bogless now as the notification has been removed from Journey Check..

I didn't even know there were still two 150/9 units around - though I bumped into 150926 (in a non-literal way) somewhere the other day - I presume it and 150925 have been busy out of Exeter this summer.

These six carriages have only 2 toilets between them (they're 2 x 3 rather than 3 x 2 car formations to ensure a loo on every train) so in the event of  single toilet failure, that's no loo left on a 3 car train.  Other 3 car setups (158s and 150+153) have 2 loos ... not sure about 150002 which is at large in The West too.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 08:31:46 »

I didn't even know there were still two 150/9 units around - though I bumped into 150926 (in a non-literal way) somewhere the other day - I presume it and 150925 have been busy out of Exeter this summer.

These six carriages have only 2 toilets between them (they're 2 x 3 rather than 3 x 2 car formations to ensure a loo on every train) so in the event of  single toilet failure, that's no loo left on a 3 car train.  Other 3 car setups (158s and 150+153) have 2 loos ... not sure about 150002 which is at large in The West too.

...perhaps its been working the Looe branch Roll Eyes Tongue

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 09:09:55 »

...perhaps its been working the Looe branch Roll Eyes Tongue

For today ... many like this ...

18:19 Looe to Liskeard due 18:47
Facilities on the 18:19 Looe to Liskeard due 18:47.
Will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 1.

Perhaps there's an artist's convention there in the style of Two Loos Lautrec?

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 15:40:42 »

Was the GWR (Great Western Railway) working into Cardiff forming that service also shown as bogless?

Is there a 150 set running around formed DMS (Driving Motor Standard )-DMS instead of the usual DMS-DMSL (Driving Motor Standard Lavatory )?

DMS Driving Motor Standard
DMSL Driving Motor Standard Lavatory

Aren't there 7 TSOL cars available from the shortened Class 321's sent to Scotland?

Why not make 2-car 150's into 3-car, even if without an engine.

We are supposed to be short of seats, after all.

OTC
John R

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 19:14:15 »

I guess the performance of the units would be significantly worse, which would mean having to keep them on specific diagrams. That would be more complex.  That's assuming  there are no technical issues with sticking a coach from a different unit into a class 150 of course.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: