Train RunningCancelled
19:18 London Paddington to Swansea
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:27:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[153] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[57] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[51] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[25] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[23] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Steam through Melksham: September 23, 2017
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam on the TransWilts - 23 Sep 2017  (Read 6209 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2017, 21:38:21 »

Whilst planning my trip out next Saturday, 23rd September, to phot 35028 Clan Line on the Atlantic Coast Express steam railtour from London Victoria to Exeter, I noticed that the return leg is via Taunton, Westbury, MELKSHAM and Swindon. No timings have been confirmed yet.

http://www.ukrailtours.com/product/the-atlantic-coast-express/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 23:11:10 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 22:37:22 »

Well, if GWR (Great Western Railway) could give me any sort of hope that they might possibly be able to get me to Melksham and back next Saturday (given their recent abysmal performance on the TransWilts line), I would be delighted to get some pictures of that steam traction through Melksham.  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 10:28:47 »

Nothing yet on RealTime Trains? Should appear there?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 10:57:19 »

Nothing yet on RealTime Trains? Should appear there?

I'm sure it will ... though RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) data for trains that aren't scheduled passenger services tends to come up just a day or two ahead.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:52:20 »

Times now on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website):
Outward: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54504/2017/09/23/advanced
Return: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54507/2017/09/23/advanced
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 13:49:25 »

I think I'll head to Chard Junction to photograph.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 21:58:30 »

Think I'll keep it local this time: Exeter Central for the outbound and Cullompton for the return.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 13:33:30 »

35028 Clan Line at Chard Junction and Pinhoe.

Carrying the wreath in memory of David Shepherd CBE.

Some trespassers on the old platform at Chard Junction. It's quite clearly fenced off and signed 'Do not trespass on the railway'. One chap came right side of the fence when I spoke up. I was ignored by others.

Mods. Should this topic be on the 'Railtours' board?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 18:09:16 »

Clan Line approaching Crewkerne this morning. Thought about seeing it again at Athelney but it was running very early.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 19:57:07 »

Clan Line approaching Crewkerne this morning. Thought about seeing it again at Athelney but it was running very early.

Had to wait for the single line through Frome though .. about 10 minutes late when I saw it

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 21:23:46 »

As BNM hijacked my home location, here is Clan Line at Exeter Central...

Saw her later at Silverton and it was good to see her 'at speed'.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 22:02:15 »

Good to see everyone staying on the platform this time at Melksham...just!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 22:03:45 »

Yes, borderline trespass at Melksham! Great pictures everyone.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 22:38:16 »

As BNM hijacked my home location, here is Clan Line at Exeter Central...

I'd planned to go on to Honiton but spent too long walking the dog at Chard Junction. Just missed the departure from Honiton.

So, down the A30 to Pinhoe.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 01:33:29 »

Good to see everyone staying on the platform this time at Melksham...just!

Yes, borderline trespass at Melksham! Great pictures everyone.

A couple of blokes hanging over the edge of the platform as it was due, who I requested to stand back; assured me they would as the train approached and they knew what they were doing; I was backed up by a rail contact I know who assure me in a loud voice that people wouldn't listen until someone misjudged that final second and gets hit.  As I videoed, I was torn between videoing the train and their last minute second step back; out of the corner of my eye that vital move was made (without trip, thank goodness) with the front of the locomotive about 20 yards away.

I took the opportunity as people left the platform to distribute timetables for "the trains that stop here", then chatted with passengers and awaited the late running final train of the day to Swindon.   7 on and 3 off; several individuals heading to see people for the evening and would be headed back by taxi because there's no late train, and those numbers would swell if there was a later train back.   Guestimate around 25 on train on leaving - 28/10

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: