06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
07:52 Reading to Gatwick Airport
09:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 08:41:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Building leisure traffic this autumn.  (Read 5225 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 22, 2017, 18:44:42 »

Over 50% of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s fare revenue comes from leisure traffic - "unusual among train operators" - a line from a keynote speech today by Mark Hopwood at a GWR [tourism and leisure] partner seminar.   And this is a sector of the business that GWR are keen to expand, I suspect not only because of the wonderful places in the South West and South Wales that people can go to, but also because growth in this traffic is likely to be on trains which are not the jammed commuter ones.

Let's see who spots the new campaign first (no spoilers, please, from those of you I met at the seminar - lets' treat this like an embargo - won't be that way for long at all!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 19:08:29 »

Strange time of year to be starting this...you'd expect it early in a year, not towards the tail end of one?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:29:01 by ChrisB » Logged
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 19:37:01 »

I won't spoil the game, but I'm assuming if you click here you may find the answer
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 19:44:00 »

I won't spoil the game, but I'm assuming if you click here you may find the answer

Indeed ...
The integrated campaign is supported by Cinema, OOH, Print, Radio, Social and Digital media and launches on September 23rd.
... so it looks like that's jumped the gun.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 19:59:57 »

And at 0:23, they are pointing at which station on the map?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 20:00:32 »

Appropriating another much loved icon of the 20th century.  Shocked

I wonder how much research into GWR (Great Western Railway) Enid Blyton Entertainment did before agreeing to this.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 20:12:43 »

Looking frame by frame, the finger is drawn across the map to show that they can start on the TransWilts - from Chippenham through Melksham and Trowbridge to Westbury ... changing for onward services / the next series or frames looking to indicate they're headed for intermediate stations on the Newquay line.

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 21:16:52 »

So That's All Good Then !
Essentially what they are doing are finding out what they do well and doing less of it better  Huh
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 22:09:31 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) ? OOH?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 22:30:17 »

First jumping the gun again? Surely better to wait until the new trains are in operation. Not only that but Autumn and winter is usually the time services are frequently disrupted due to engineering work. Hardly a good introduction to anyone using rail for the first time for leisure purposes and ending up on a bus or packed train.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 22:43:49 »

First jumping the gun again? Surely better to wait until the new trains are in operation. Not only that but Autumn and winter is usually the time services are frequently disrupted due to engineering work. Hardly a good introduction to anyone using rail for the first time for leisure purposes and ending up on a bus or packed train.

But by the time the disruption ends so will their franchise.  By only giving them a short franchise DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have left them with little alternative but to make the best of what they can.  Autumn and Winter is when the services are usually less crowded with leisure travellers so why not encourage more.

As for the claim that services are more usually disrupted by engineering works during this time - Have you tried travelling around the Swindon and Bristol area by rail during the summer? 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 23:08:31 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) ? OOH?

Out-of-home media advertising (also OOH advertising or outdoor advertising) or out-of-home media (also OOH media or outdoor media) is advertising that reaches the consumers while they are outside their homes.

Billboards  Grin   for example

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 03:48:58 »

Looking frame by frame, the finger is drawn across the map to show that they can start on the TransWilts - from Chippenham through Melksham and Trowbridge to Westbury ... changing for onward services / the next series or frames looking to indicate they're headed for intermediate stations on the Newquay line.

Wonder how much this cost the TOC (Train Operating Company) ?

If they were headed for the Newquay line lets see the sequel to their down journey, the return journey AFTER their adventures at Newquays SURFFEST, their 3 hour wait before finally being put on a rammed double decker bus with standing room only on both upper and lower decks only to be delivered to the main line station to discover they'd missed their booked train and were having to stand all the way back to Westbury where they had to be put into a taxi back to their home TransWilts station because the last northbound TransWilts line train of the day had long departed.

I loved the series of books when I was a kid but recently I was with my niece and her four and two year olds when I saw in a Toys 'R Us store a Five Go Adventuring book with the word 'BREXIT' in the title to which i remarked to my niece, "Gosh, is Enid Blyton still alive and writing."
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 07:03:51 »

But by the time the disruption ends so will their franchise.  By only giving them a short franchise DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have left them with little alternative but to make the best of what they can.  Autumn and Winter is when the services are usually less crowded with leisure travellers so why not encourage more.

Agree, I can see why they are doing it because their franchise will be ending soon.

I stand by what I say that trying to promote people to leisure travel, particularly at weekends, right now is a bad move because of so much engineering work taking place leading to less services (overcrowding) or buses. That's of course if the service actually runs due to lack of train crew.

Also the advert is slightly misleading showing a sleek IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) when you are most likely to end up on a 40 year HST (High Speed Train) for the next year or so. Okay if you are travelling First class which is great on a HST.

All in all a waste of money on an advert that does not show the reality right now. But if that's what First want to spend their money on that's up to them.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 07:44:32 »

So That's All Good Then !
Essentially what they are doing are finding out what they do well and doing less of it better  Huh
That could have come straight out of the TV series W1A.  Brilliant (and I do so love that series, W1A that is!)  Grin

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: