Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 07:26:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Girl, 14, dies after being hit by train in Walsall, West Midlands - 26 Sept 2017  (Read 3083 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: September 27, 2017, 15:22:12 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Girl, 14, dies after being hit by train in Walsall

The girl died after being hit at the crossing at Wallows Lane, Walsall

A 14-year-old girl has died after being hit by a train at a crossing in the West Midlands.

British Transport Police said the girl was hit at Wallows Lane foot crossing, near Bescot Stadium station, in Walsall, on Tuesday afternoon.

The girl had been crossing tracks after a freight train had gone by but was struck by a train going in the opposite direction, a spokesman said.

She was pronounced dead at the scene, the force said.

Police said while the death appears to be an accident, investigations are ongoing and it is currently being treated as unexplained.

Det Ch Insp Paul Langley from British Transport Police, said: "Although we are in the early stages of our inquiry, at this stage this incident appears to be a very tragic accident. What we know so far is that the young girl was crossing the tracks after a freight train went by. Very sadly, it seems another train was approaching from the opposite direction and struck her."

So sad.  Sad

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 17:10:14 »

Somewhat confused statement attributed to the police. Accident? Unexplained? Still investigating?

My thoughts are with the family and friends of the girl.  Cry

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 20:56:54 »

Looks like it's on the electrified curve from Bescot to Walsall, close to the M6.

There seem to be other routes, so the foot crossing should have been closed.The motorway may have blocked a convenientpedestrian way.

An adult would need a PTS (Personal Track Safety) certificate to enter the site; what is a little 14 year old lass to make of the sign, "beware of trains"?

Tragic and unnecessary,

OTC
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 22:56:53 »

An adult would need a PTS (Personal Track Safety) certificate to enter the site; what is a little 14 year old lass to make of the sign, "beware of trains"?

Why would you need a PTS cert to cross a public footpath unless you were there for the purposes of "working on or near the line"? The public footpath signs are clearly visible in the photo.

I would expect anyone with a modicum of sense would approach a level crossing in the same way as crossing a road. Plenty people screw up crossing a road and end up dead or seriously injured and no one seems too concerned about that, so why so much interest in level crossings when someone screws up crossing one of those?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 23:13:24 »

The person involved in this tragic incident was a teenager - apparently on her own, crossing the railway on foot by using an official route.

However: crossing a road, where everyone tends to look right and left because traffic is passing from both directions, is rather different from crossing a railway line.  On most railway crossings, only one train will pass in front of you, for quite a while, from either direction.

The assumption, therefore - particularly for a teenager, on her own - could be that, when a train has passed, it is safe to walk across the track.

However, I am verging on speculating here as to the particular circumstances of this tragic incident.

It is likely that the Rail Accident Investigation Branch will be involved in this case, so it's perhaps best to wait for their findings before commenting further.

Meanwhile, I too offer my heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the girl who died.

CfN.  Sad

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 23:25:44 »

no one seems too concerned about that...

I am. So that's not no-one.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 23:38:03 »

I would expect anyone with a modicum of sense would approach a level crossing in the same way as crossing a road. Plenty people screw up crossing a road and end up dead or seriously injured and no one seems too concerned about that, so why so much interest in level crossings when someone screws up crossing one of those?

Let's not pre-judge, yeah?

I'm reminded of the incident at Elsenham in 2005. Two teenage girls tragically killed. Initially ruled as accidental deaths. Network Rail witheld evidence from the coroner. They were later found guilty of Health and Safety Law failings that led directly to the girls deaths.

So let's not assume the girl in Walsall 'screwed up'.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 23:56:34 »

Let's not pre-judge, yeah?

I'm reminded of the incident at Elsenham in 2005. Two teenage girls tragically killed. Initially ruled as accidental deaths. Network Rail witheld evidence from the coroner. They were later found guilty of Health and Safety Law failings that led directly to the girls deaths.

So let's not assume the girl in Walsall 'screwed up'.

Rhetorical question...could be clearer by the use of 'if' rather than 'when', but I shall leave the post as it has now been quoted. No assumptions being made on this particular incident.

There of course could be a number of reasons behind what happened (hence ongoing investigations - the coroner will be involved), but I would certainly hesitate to adopt of oft default position of pointing the finger directly and immediately at 'the railways' whenever any incident happens at a level crossing. I would also hesitate to mention any previously investigated incident until such a time as BTP (British Transport Police) or RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) have completed their enquiries.

So let's not assume Network Rail are at fault? That seems to be what is being inferred by some on this thread, if I am not mistaken?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 00:56:29 »

It's a counterpoint to the inference that crossing users 'screw up'.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 09:42:00 »

Un train peut en-cacher un autre. Do we not have a similar sign on British level crossings?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 02:58:07 »

An update. From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Walsall Council advised to shut fatal level crossing three years ago

A level crossing where a 14-year-old girl died after being struck by a train was recommended for closure three years ago, it has emerged.

Network Rail said it requested Walsall Council close Wallows Lane foot crossing, near Bescot Stadium station, on safety grounds in 2014.

The schoolgirl died at the crossing on Tuesday in what officials say appears to be an accident.

The council said there were discussions but no formal application was made.

Terry Wootton, who works in a warehouse that runs alongside an alleyway leading to the crossing, said he ran to the scene at about 15:30 BST after the girl's friend came looking for help.

"I ran with him and dialled 999 and told the ambulance and the first thing I saw was that school books had been strewn down the track.... When I could see her, it was horrific. Just horrific," he said.

"I could see she had gone. I haven't slept since."

British Transport Police said the girl had been crossing tracks after a freight train had gone by but was struck by a train going in the opposite direction.

Mr Wootton said he believed both trains' hooters sounded at the same time, leaving her unaware the second train was coming.

He criticised the safety of the crossing, used by children as a cut through to two schools, describing it as "something from the Dark Ages". It's just a picket gate and a sign to say 'watch the trains'. There needs to barriers or lights and warnings that trains are coming."

Network Rail can only advise or recommend that authorities close crossings.

Walsall Council confirmed the parties talked about removing the public right of way across the crossing three years ago and did not object.

Had there been a formal application after that, the council would have consulted upon it, it added.

The authority and Network Rail are now looking at the future of the crossing, which is currently closed.

Stable door...

Seems Walsall Council believe Network Rail hadn't submitted a formal closure request. And Network Rail believe they had. The paper trail will be interesting.

Once again, my heartfelt sympathy to all affected by this tragic incident. Family, friends, the train driver, witnesses and the emergency services.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:04:48 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 10:03:37 »

A couple of observations:
Mr Wootton said he believed both trains' hooters sounded at the same time, leaving her unaware the second train was coming.
Perhaps it should be standard practice that when this happens, one train should sound its hooter again? How to decide which one is left as an exercise for the railway authorities. This wouldn't cost anything and could possibly save lives.

He criticised the safety of the crossing, used by children as a cut through to two schools, describing it as "something from the Dark Ages". It's just a picket gate and a sign to say 'watch the trains'. There needs to barriers or lights and warnings that trains are coming."
I went to a school that was right next to railway tracks. There were two side streets crossing the line (it was a fairly spread out site, actually two separate schools on neighbouring sites) and when I was there (1980s) the crossings had been closed to vehicles but there were wicket gates used to cross the tracks. I can't remember if there were lights and siren – I think there were – but certainly no barrier. Now, both crossings have been totally closed and replaced with one rather complicated looking footbridge. I think this was done about five years ago, but whether as part of a general review or in response to an incident I do not know. There were no accidents on those crossings in the seven years I was there (unlike on the road at the other side of the school) but I think the drivers did have to brake for stray kids (and probably slowed down as a matter of course).

There was also a simple concrete post and plain wire fence between the tracks and the school playing field. For a time there was a fad for climbing over this fence and putting small coins on the rails to be flattened by trains. I never did that but I did do something even more stupid and potentially dangerous. With two friends (it was Clive's idea, he said everyone did it in Portugal where he'd been on holiday... ) we decided to take a shortcut home by walking along the tracks instead of the rather looping road. We checked the timetable (planning!) and there were no trains at that time (I guess we didn't think about freight trains) so off we went. Fortunately (because it stopped us doing it again), though a bit scarily at the time, some people working in gardens overlooking the line saw us and shouted "Trespassers on the railway line!" obviously intending to scare us off, which they did. I don't know if that fence has been replaced with something more secure.

I guess the point of all that is that kids (and probably adults too) will do stupid things on railways in part because they seem like a safe environment. You've only got one danger, the trains (assuming the line's not electrified), and they run in a predictable way, in straight lines and all at similar speeds. They don't swerve or accelerate in unpredictable ways, unlike cars and their drivers don't display the downright vindictiveness that some car drivers can in the vicinity of schools. And of course it's all run to a timetable and most of the time there's nothing there. So it gives the impression of being safe because it's highly regulated. Which statistically it is.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 11:07:47 »

Laziness, sorry. If it can take you where you want to go quicker than using the proper/correct route, some pax will always chance themselves. It's a sad state of affairs that we have to be protected from ourselves.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 11:21:01 »

Pax?  Roll Eyes

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 12:04:45 »

it's in the dictionary :-)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: