Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 17:27:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[273] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[84] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[36] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[7] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of rolling stock since September 2017 - ongoing problems, and subsequent discussion  (Read 58385 times)
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2017, 17:53:27 »

Fairly disastrous at Paddington this evening with the HST (High Speed Train) 18.00 to Bristol cancelled and the 17.49 to Worcester stripped from a HST to a 3 car turbo. Ta been said already but for Friday peak this just isn't good enough.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2017, 18:26:19 »

1800 was quickly re-instated
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2017, 19:13:05 »

It read as Cancelled on the concourse but I see that it has indeed been reinstated and is only 26mins late to Reading.
The downgraded 17.49 left passengers on the platform.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 16:03:17 »

...the 17.49 to Worcester stripped from a HST (High Speed Train) to a 3 car turbo.

My evening peak SMS has just pinged to say the same will apply today as well.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 21:55:07 »

why on Earth would you launch any kind of marketing campaign now, rather than more logically after your new trains are running about and it's safe to open the door again?
Which is what we've been saying in other threads. It makes no sense except if you had booked the marketing agency long ago to launch the campaign at this time with the expectation that IETs (Intercity Express Train) would be operating by now. Even then these things can be postponed.

But this is GWR (Great Western Railway), It took them over 2 years to rebrand from FGW (First Great Western) to GWR. Wit that awful yellow branding and "Building a Greater West". They seem to think that promising loads of big exciting new things which are years away is one way of getting customers to keep quiet.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 23:39:32 »

But this is GWR (Great Western Railway), It took them over 2 years to rebrand from FGW (First Great Western) to GWR.

Hasn't finished yet. Still a lot of FGW branded trains about. I wonder what the split is between FGW and GWR.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 09:48:07 »

Some Henley branch passengers are tweeting that they were left behind at TWY (Twyford station) this morning after the 0753 to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) (0706 from DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains)) was 3-car Turbo vice HST (High Speed Train) and left 2 minutes early as it was too wedged for anyone else to board.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 10:25:48 »

...the 17.49 to Worcester stripped from a HST (High Speed Train) to a 3 car turbo.

My evening peak SMS has just pinged to say the same will apply today as well.

I was on the 17.42 electric train and saw the 17.49 3 car turbo come past. It looked very very full.. and not at all pleasant.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 08:12:35 »

Some Henley branch passengers are tweeting that they were left behind at TWY (Twyford station) this morning after the 0753 to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) (0706 from DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains)) was 3-car Turbo vice HST (High Speed Train) and left 2 minutes early as it was too wedged for anyone else to board.

07:06 a 3 car turbo again this morning, looks to have left Twyford early again.

Also 2 days running the 07:34 from Didcot has been cancelled

Edit: 07:00 from Didcot also a 3 car vice 6 car
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 17:38:33 »

Bad news for Maidenhead travellers in particular this evening. The 17.49 HST (High Speed Train) is running as a 5 car and the 18.18 is 3 cars.
That's a 6 car reduction overall on the two busiest services of the evening and 1.5hrs between fully formed fast services (17.36 to 19.05).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 17:52:08 »

Bad news for Maidenhead travellers in particular this evening. The 17.49 HST (High Speed Train) is running as a 5 car and the 18.18 is 3 cars.
That's a 6 car reduction overall on the two busiest services of the evening and 1.5hrs between fully formed fast services (17.36 to 19.05).

But then they do have extra capacity on the new electric trains ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 17:54:39 »

But then they do have extra capacity on the new electric trains ...

You mean those slow trains that stop everywhere? 😀
 Even the 18.42 that only stops at Slough takes 40mins.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 18:04:56 »

So a seat for 40mins or a 20min stand....?

Capacity for everyone then
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2017, 18:49:30 »

I'd take the 20min stand every time and the loading of direct services proves I'm not in the minority.
My round trip commute is 2.5hrs per day - if I take a slower train that extends by nearly an hour per day, 5hrs a week or 20hrs per month. That's not an acceptable sacrifice in my opinion.

My point still stands (no pun intended) that shortening all of the fast services over a 1.5hr peak time window is shoddy.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2017, 07:42:49 »

For some reason all Heathrow Connects this morning are cancelled 'due to more repairs than usual', something wrong with the class 360s?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: