17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
08:35 Banbury to Didcot Parkway
Delayed
06:44 Exeter St Davids to Cardiff Central
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 09:31:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[87] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] Where have I been?
[48] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[41] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Grayling / Select Committee: October 16, 2017
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Grayling answers Select Committee on electrification decisions  (Read 6628 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 28, 2017, 09:31:00 »

From UK (United Kingdom) Parliament

for 16th October 2017

Planned electrification on railway lines scrapped
In the first public evidence session for the Committee, MPs (Member of Parliament) will unpick the thinking behind policy changes by the Department for Transport, including the scrapping of planned electrification on railway lines in Wales, the Midlands and the North of England.

Witness - 16:45 - Chris Grayling

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 01:37:43 »

From UK (United Kingdom) Parliament

for 16th October 2017

Planned electrification on railway lines scrapped
In the first public evidence session for the Committee, MPs (Member of Parliament) will unpick the thinking behind policy changes by the Department for Transport, including the scrapping of planned electrification on railway lines in Wales, the Midlands and the North of England.

Witness - 16:45 - Chris Grayling

Reported in The Guardian ... but otherwise rather lost in the news of the first IET (Intercity Express Train) runs in public service which had happened earlier in the day.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:51:13 »

Failing Grayling has managed to wreck or seriously disrupt every department that he's headed.

He wrecked the DWP as part of the benefit reforms.

He attempted to wreck the prisons (remember "no books"?), access to the courts, and the legal aid system.  The changes to the latter which he proposed were abandoned by his successor shortly before they were due to be implemented and after everyone including practitioners had spent a fortune on compliance.

Now he's wrecking the railways - John Crace's Guardian piece sets it all out nicely.  Grayling appears to be clueless.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 19:22:59 »

Full transcript.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 20:38:49 »

What is the investment proposed around Bristol that isn't already happening? I can only think of Bristol East but that is hardly "around" Bristol.

[i]Chris Grayling: In due course. On the trans-Pennine route, we will have to wait and see what the Network Rail proposal is. We are doing the work on Ely junction at the moment. The other area that will get investment is around Bristol. Those are probably the three decisions that we have taken. They are not the only decisions that we have, but they are the three things I have set out very clearly that we will do.[/i]

Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 21:50:20 »

This might refer to bringing the old Brunel train-shed at Temple Meads back into use after the panel box is abolished. I seem to recall the original idea was to use this for electric (ha ha) services to Paddington via Parkway.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 22:59:09 »

Failing Grayling has managed to wreck or seriously disrupt every department that he's headed.

He wrecked the DWP as part of the benefit reforms.

He attempted to wreck the prisons (remember "no books"?), access to the courts, and the legal aid system.  The changes to the latter which he proposed were abandoned by his successor shortly before they were due to be implemented and after everyone including practitioners had spent a fortune on compliance.

Now he's wrecking the railways - John Crace's Guardian piece sets it all out nicely.  Grayling appears to be clueless.

I think knowing people who've worked with him he's more driven by political dogma than many MPs (Member of Parliament). To give him the benefit of the doubt that's different from being clueless even if the end result can be similar.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 23:01:19 »

He knows what he's doing. He knows his brief. It's just he's wrong.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 23:03:56 »

The man himself is on Question Time on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) One as I type.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 09:30:17 »

Q75 Chair: You describe it as a small number of projects. I have to say that is not how it is viewed by people in south Wales or across the midlands and in Sheffield.

Chris Grayling: If we take south Wales, the trains those people will be using for the foreseeable future are running today. Those trains will take time off the journey to Paddington; they will run quicker. They will run through to Pembroke dock when we have done the upgrade works for that. If we then erected the wires, it would make no difference whatsoever to passengers—literally no difference at all. I do not think people are bothered in the slightest about how the train is powered. What they are worried about is whether they are sitting in a comfortable train that gets them there faster. Why would we spend more than half a billion pounds on absolutely no benefit to passengers whatsoever?

Does that mean the we're going to see works on the Pembroke Dock branch to clear it for IET (Intercity Express Train)?   I had kinda thought that it would be a lot of money to spend for a dozen trains a year, and the business case would be a difficult one to make.

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 20:02:21 »

Chris Grayling: I do not think it was flawed. The point about electrification is that it works well in places, and in other places it works less well—for example, electrifying a high-intensity suburban line where trains are stopping and starting in very short order, or electrifying a 125-mph main line railway. When a train can go at only 75 mph, as it can in south Wales, it is much less clear that it is beneficial. The benefit-cost ratio in that example, for the Cardiff-Swansea route, is very low.
Llansamlet, Skewen, Neath, Briton Ferry, Baglan, Port Talbot Parkway, Pyle, Bridgend, Pencoed, Llanharan, Pontyclun and Cardiff Central. Not short-order enough for you Mr Grayling? It isn't all about London you know. That isn't high-intensity I suppose (I would only envisage 1tph all-stops west of Bridgend), but you could also have a Swansea-Bristol calling at all (or most) stations between Cardiff and Bristol, replacing the current Cardiff-Taunton services over that section.

Chris Grayling: It does not; it has a very poor BCR (Benefit Cost Ratio). But forget BCRs for a moment and just apply common sense. How does £500 million of taxpayers’ money to achieve no benefits for passengers make sense?
No benefits to pasengers? I guess Grayling does not consider 'preventing a disbenifit' to be 'a benifit'.

Q75 Chair: You describe it as a small number of projects. I have to say that is not how it is viewed by people in south Wales or across the midlands and in Sheffield.

Chris Grayling: If we take south Wales, the trains those people will be using for the foreseeable future are running today. Those trains will take time off the journey to Paddington; they will run quicker. They will run through to Pembroke dock when we have done the upgrade works for that. If we then erected the wires, it would make no difference whatsoever to passengers—literally no difference at all. I do not think people are bothered in the slightest about how the train is powered. What they are worried about is whether they are sitting in a comfortable train that gets them there faster. Why would we spend more than half a billion pounds on absolutely no benefit to passengers whatsoever?

Does that mean the we're going to see works on the Pembroke Dock branch to clear it for IET (Intercity Express Train)?   I had kinda thought that it would be a lot of money to spend for a dozen trains a year, and the business case would be a difficult one to make.
That is a supprising comment from Grayling. The previous announcement regarding IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) trains to Pembroke Dock was along the lines of "we'll look into it". Maybe they have now looked into it and found that there isn't really much of a problem; a lot of pepole (myself included) have assumed the new trains will not fit through the Narberth tunnel, but we could be wrong. I would not support a costly exercise such as making a new tunnel just so that the Pembroke Dock trains can continue to run through to/from London, but if they've found a way to bring the class 800s to Pembroke Dock without much expense and will use 9-car sets* for the job then why not go for it?

* Sounds overkill and probably is west of Swansea (although I think on a sunny Saturday a 5-car set would be nearly full), but I'm not sure a single 5-car set would cope with the passenger loadings right through to Paddington and I remain opposed to the uncoupling of class 800s (and similar trains) in service.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 20:11:32 »

That isn't high-intensity I suppose (I would only envisage 1tph all-stops west of Bridgend), but you could also have a Swansea-Bristol calling at all (or most) stations between Cardiff and Bristol, replacing the current Cardiff-Taunton services over that section.

Err . bi-modes on Swansea - Bristol or are you assuming electrification from the Parkway area into Temple Meads?

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 20:35:32 »

I remain opposed to the uncoupling of class 800s (and similar trains) in service.

Why?  The It works fine on the Thalys Paris to Amsterdam/Koln services which divide and join at Brussels. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 10:39:11 »

Maybe they have now looked into it and found that there isn't really much of a problem; a lot of pepole (myself included) have assumed the new trains will not fit through the Narberth tunnel, but we could be wrong. I would not support a costly exercise such as making a new tunnel just so that the Pembroke Dock trains can continue to run through to/from London, but if they've found a way to bring the class 800s to Pembroke Dock without much expense and will use 9-car sets* for the job then why not go for it?

Quite possible that very little work will be required.  I don’t know Narbeth Tunnel but I do know Ledbury Tunnel and it’s about as tight as you can get at the Colwall end of it and there were all sorts of rumours about IET (Intercity Express Train)’s not fitting through there.  Trains have now successfully passed through with no problems.  It’s possible there will be a speed restriction in passenger service, but given the ruling linespeed is only 40mph anyway that will make next to no difference.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 19:22:10 »

It doesn't mean  anything until and unless whatever works are necessary begin.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: