Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningDelayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 23:47:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[282] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[233] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[48] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[42] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[20] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[19] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Grayling / Select Committee: October 16, 2017
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Grayling answers Select Committee on electrification decisions  (Read 6624 times)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 00:01:55 »

When a train can go at only 75 mph, as it can in south Wales, it is much less clear that it is beneficial.

Funny that, it's actually 90mph from Coal Pit Heath as far as Bridgend...and quite long distances between stops for the expresses. Same as found on the English side at 20-30 minutes typically.

On that basis, I wonder if anyone has asked him to explain why they're electrifying the Gospel Oak-Barking, I very much doubt any of those trains will often exceed 75mph...or enquired why the outer tube and suburban networks in London, Glasgow, Liverpool, Birmingham, Paris, New York, The Hague, Berlin etc etc etc are all electrified...Misinformed ***t!

I really ought to email him, my MP (Member of Parliament) or the committee chair to pull them up on that, it's not really acceptable to provide factually incorrect evidence at a parliamentary committee as justification for canning a project that would've brought significant benefits to the region.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 09:41:31 »

That isn't high-intensity I suppose (I would only envisage 1tph all-stops west of Bridgend), but you could also have a Swansea-Bristol calling at all (or most) stations between Cardiff and Bristol, replacing the current Cardiff-Taunton services over that section.

Err . bi-modes on Swansea - Bristol or are you assuming electrification from the Parkway area into Temple Meads?
Yes, I'm assuming Filton Bank wires there, since Grayling's announcement did not axe that project I'm assuming its status is still 'defered (to CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024)?)'. I think electrification in the GW (Great Western) area should continue as follows:

CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) - GWML (Great Western Main Line) PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-Cardiff/Chippenham
CP6 - Chippenham-Bristol-Patchway, Didcot-Oxford, ValleyLines (including to Maesteg)
CP7 (or whenever the above is complete) - Bridgend-Swansea

When a train can go at only 75 mph, as it can in south Wales, it is much less clear that it is beneficial.

Funny that, it's actually 90mph from Coal Pit Heath as far as Bridgend...and quite long distances between stops for the expresses.
There is even a short section with a 100mph differential linespeed for HSTs (High Speed Train) through Pyle station I believe.

I remain opposed to the uncoupling of class 800s (and similar trains) in service.

Why?  The It works fine on the Thalys Paris to Amsterdam/Koln services which divide and join at Brussels.
I'm opposed to it primarily because a high speed train does not have corridor connections between the units. Therefore, if passengers are cutting it fine and jump on at the nearest door to avoid missing the train and then discover they are in the wrong unit they cannot correct their mistake without having to alight at a station other than their destination. That is no different to having to change trains, and I think Grahame can probably tell us how many passengers you lose by asking them to do that. In fact, in my opinion portion working with a non-gangwayed unit is worse than having to change trains, because with portion working the journey is advertised as a through journey and the 'having to change trains' is an unexpected supprise. It would be better, in my opinion, to advertise a portion-worked high-speed service* as one terminating and two others beginning so that passengers expect to change at the split point and those that happen to be in the correct unit for their destination get a nice supprise.

* This also applies to low-speed units that do not have corridor connections between them, but not to something like class 158s where passengers can freely move between units.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
John R

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 11:30:46 »

I'm opposed to it primarily because a high speed train does not have corridor connections between the units. Therefore, if passengers are cutting it fine and jump on at the nearest door to avoid missing the train and then discover they are in the wrong unit they cannot correct their mistake without having to alight at a station other than their destination.
Portion working is a very efficient way of tailoring stock provision to the typical passenger flows, particularly at the extremities of journeys.  In doing so it enables those extremities to enjoy through services (or more frequent through services) to London which might otherwise not be cost-justifiable. To suggest that it isn't employed because a few late arrivals may find themselves in the wrong portion of the train and suffer the inconvenience of having to move later on is, frankly, ludicrous.

Take one example, and I will keep the numbers simple, to illustrate the point.  London to Plymouth is 3 hours, and 5 hours to Penzance.  Ignoring lay-over times and everything else, you could provide an hourly full length service with 2x10 5 car sets = 20 sets.   Or you could one run one unit only beyond Plymouth and that reduces to 16 sets (1x 10 + 1x6).  Put another way your rolling stock cost increases by 25% for the customer benefit of not inconveniencing those few late arrivals that you talk about.   (By the way, I am well aware there may be times when one set will be inadequate, but the example illustrates the general point, and is equally applicable on other routes, both on GWR (Great Western Railway) and elsewhere.)   
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 12:29:34 »

What about the extra platform at Parkway or the requadrification between Filton Jn and Dr Days Junction?  Is that not "around" Bristol?  There is more to bristol than Temple Meads. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 13:12:13 »

I'm opposed to it primarily because a high speed train does not have corridor connections between the units.

"The train at platform 3 is for Caterham and Tattenham Corner. Join any part of he train for ... Purley Oaks and Purley, where the train will divide.   Front four carriages for ... Whyteleafe, Whyltleafe South ... and Caterham.  Rear 2 coaches for Reedham, Smitham, Wooemansterne, Tadworth and Tattenham Corner"

Amazing how the memory doesn't fade from childhood if you've heard something every day for years.  Train was typically a 4 EPB and a 2 EPB unit, which were none-corridor and it seemed to work perfectly well.

"The train at platform 3 is for Worcester Foregate Street and Weymouth. Join any part of the train for Maidenhead, Twyford, Reading, Didcot and Swindon where the train will divide.   Front 5 carriages for Kemble, Stroud, Stonehouse, Gloucester, Cheltenham Spa, Ashchurch, Worcester Shrub Hill and Worcester Foregate Street. Rear five carriages for Chippenham, Melksham, Trowbridge, Westbury, Frome, Bruton, Castle Cary, Yeovil Pen Mill, Maiden Newton, Dorchester South and Weymouth."

Far fetched?   Every 2 hours, to comb in alterntately with local services on the Swindon - Westbury - Salisbury - Southampton run an local service on the Heart of Wessex, affording Westbury an hourly London service alternating via Swindon and via Newbury.

I have no objections to splitting none-gangwayed trains; seems a tiny price for making up a service that's got an appropriate length train for each sector, so becomes viable to run.

That is no different to having to change trains, I think Grahame can probably tell us how many passengers you lose by asking them to do that.

The figures I recall (not got data at hand) are 40% and 46% - one for leisure and one for commuter and business traffic.  I forget which way round though!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 13:46:58 »

What about the extra platform at Parkway or the requadrification between Filton Jn and Dr Days Junction?  Is that not "around" Bristol?  There is more to bristol than Temple Meads. 
Those are already happening. Grayling was talking about future investment.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 14:19:29 »

I have no objections to splitting none-gangwayed trains; seems a tiny price for making up a service that's got an appropriate length train for each sector, so becomes viable to run.
It's also quite naive to think that gangways make a significant difference. 

Stand at Southampton in the evening peak, and watch a splitting service formed of two 5 car 444s arrive from Waterloo, and watch the many people (mostly regular commuters at that time of day) that have had an hour or more to get into the right half of the train.  Many are still running up and down the platform, probably because they have tuned out all the announcements so far.

Rhydgaled is still making a mountain out of a molehill, as he has for a few years now.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 20:08:16 »

I'm opposed to it (Note by ReadingAbbey: dividing trains en-route) primarily because a high speed train does not have corridor connections between the units. Therefore, if passengers are cutting it fine and jump on at the nearest door to avoid missing the train and then discover they are in the wrong unit they cannot correct their mistake without having to alight at a station other than their destination. That is no different to having to change trains, and I think Grahame can probably tell us how many passengers you lose by asking them to do that. In fact, in my opinion portion working with a non-gangwayed unit is worse than having to change trains, because with portion working the journey is advertised as a through journey and the 'having to change trains' is an unexpected supprise. It would be better, in my opinion, to advertise a portion-worked high-speed service* as one terminating and two others beginning so that passengers expect to change at the split point and those that happen to be in the correct unit for their destination get a nice supprise.

* This also applies to low-speed units that do not have corridor connections between them, but not to something like class 158s where passengers can freely move between units.

The German Deutsche Bahn runs many such trains which operate as one over the core section of the route and then split during the journey to serve two destinations. Both long distance and short distance services do it, for example the Line S1 on the Munich S-Bahn has trains which split at Neufahrn, one part going on to Freising and the other to the Airport. This happens every 20 minutes. ICE trains from Berlin to the Ruhr run as one and then split to serve destinations which cannot support a full length train.

They call it "Flügelbetrieb" ('Flügel' means 'wing' as on a bird) and are operated by self-contained units which do not have corridor connections. I must admit I find it difficult to think of any German multiple unit in widespread use which does have corridor connections between units.

It does not cause any significant problems. The train is advertised as a through service to the splitting point  and then that Coaches 1 to 8 will continue to X and Coaches 9 to 16 to Y. Each section of the train is well signed with its destination and calling points and the platform displays also show which part goes where. In any event the seat reservations will put you in the correct section - and for long distance services in Germany most people reserve a seat.

In spite of everything people do sometimes get on the wrong section - sometimes because they are late - but the on-board announcements and displays state that your bit of the train goes to X and the other bit to Y. In addition the split is announced well in advance and walking a couple of coach lengths along the same platform cannot remotely be described as being as much of a hassle as changing trains. If one wishes to one can also change sections at a previous stop.

Your concerns are really not a problem.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 22:04:02 »

I am all for portion working as well, so long as the information systems on the station and trains are properly specified and configured so the potential confusion is minimised. 

They’ve not done that with Turbos for example despite replacing the old PIS (Passenger Information System) with a much better system, and that continues to cause confusion and spoil the journey experience for passengers on a daily basis.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: