27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 02:53:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 548856 times)
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: November 03, 2018, 18:02:28 »

It does get a bit confusing ... even to the railway's systems ...

With GWR (Great Western Railway)'s mania for joining trains together, the 08:25 is obviously a 16 car HST (High Speed Train) !
My last HST journey which was on the Cotswold line had two coach E. The poor train manager was having to explain which one people needed to be in to get off at short platforms.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 03, 2018, 18:53:24 »

Let me do the maths for a 7 car IET (Intercity Express Train), assuming First Class was not lengthened.

A five car unit has 320 seats, including 36 first class.
If you added two 92 seater coaches which is the average size you would be adding 184 seats. However, they could add a 96 seater coach to add even more capacity.

320 + 184 = 504 Seats.

vs 522 total seats on a low density HST (High Speed Train) there is no major difference.

Now, someone is going to moan about capacity however that’s plenty for Cheltenham, Oxford, Berwyn, Cotswolds and Bristol via Parkway. So not a bad idea at all. The only issue is that you’d lose capacity on peak services buy loosing full length trains... hmm.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 03, 2018, 23:50:37 »

Seen reports of a HST (High Speed Train) set out last weekend that had three coach Ks, two of which were declassified replacements for D and F - not sure how reservations could work out with that arrangment.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1143 on: November 04, 2018, 00:40:02 »

Seen reports of a HST (High Speed Train) set out last weekend that had three coach Ks, two of which were declassified replacements for D and F - not sure how reservations could work out with that arrangment.

As the trains pulled in, it was announced that 1st class was in coaches 2, 3 and 8 ... and indeed it was if you count the lead 43 as coach 1 ... coach 8 being a composite in the middle of the standard class section of the train ... labelled (I noticed) "B" - not sure how first class host would work out with that arrangement.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 04, 2018, 08:35:37 »

Seen reports of a HST (High Speed Train) set out last weekend that had three coach Ks,

Reserved for hooded white supremacists?  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 04, 2018, 11:08:04 »

Pulled up at Bath Spa full and standing, 7 minute dwell time and I had to get the next one.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 04, 2018, 11:11:41 »

Seen reports of a HST (High Speed Train) set out last weekend that had three coach Ks,

Reserved for hooded white supremacists?  Tongue
Indeed they were all next to each other ...

Was on a full and standing IET (Intercity Express Train) myself last night - the 21:20 to Oxford. Got a bit easier after Slough Smiley

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 04, 2018, 13:40:22 »

After a day/night in Cardiff yesterday for the Doddie Weir trophy match between Wales & Scotland at the Millennium/Principality stadium or whatever it's called this week I had my first IET (Intercity Express Train) experience this morning on the 1020 from Cardiff to Reading - somewhat surprisingly it was quite quiet- reservations weren't working however not too much of an issue as the train seemed barely half full (10 car). There was a "standing trolley" in the rear section but no hot drinks for "technical reasons"

I didn't think the seats were hard or uncomfortable and it seemed a much smoother ride than the HST (High Speed Train) I travelled down on yesterday morning (the one with several coach Ks, which was absolutely rammed)

A few minutes late into Reading so I missed my connection, but overall not bad...…….not as bad as my hangover anyway!!!

Sad to see the Angel Hotel looking so shabby these days.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 04, 2018, 18:41:54 »

I didn't think the seats were hard or uncomfortable and ....

.... not as bad as my hangover anyway!!!

Perhaps it was the hangover that made the seats seem soft !!!!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 18:47:07 by martyjon » Logged
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 04, 2018, 23:11:03 »

I doubt many people care but Conductors are now signing IETs (Intercity Express Train) alongside Train Managers to assist with duties. A friend who is a Gloucester conductor has been trained on IETs as well as all of the depot and is route learning to Paddington with a couple of others in his depot to help when it comes to the new timetable. This is to support with delayed introductions etc.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1150 on: November 05, 2018, 06:48:02 »

I doubt many people care but Conductors are now signing IETs (Intercity Express Train) alongside Train Managers to assist with duties. A friend who is a Gloucester conductor has been trained on IETs as well as all of the depot and is route learning to Paddington with a couple of others in his depot to help when it comes to the new timetable. This is to support with delayed introductions etc.

"Conductor" = old Wessex grade / "Train Manager" = old High Speed grade?

With the planned replacement of virtually all 15x / 16x diagrams on the Stroud Valley line with through IET services to London, the number of crews needed for working the old Wessex (west fleet) services out of Gloucester will be reduced, I guess -  hence the logical training on the replacement trains.

One of the benefits of scale of the whole franchise being one from 2005, rather than red bits and blue bits, or whatever it was in those days!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 05, 2018, 22:46:51 »

As many other contributor/members have expressed their views on the passenger experience, can I add mine, having recently completed my third, and longest trip so far, a journey from Exeter St Davids to St Erth, part of a day trip to St Ives during a Devon holiday to use the complimentary "use anywhere" tickets issued in response to renewing my annual season ticket?

My wife and I traveled standard class in the front half of a 5 & 5. Generally the experience was good - the diesels' noise not too intrusive as we went over the Devon banks, seats fine and ride good. Catering consisted of a trolley that visited twice during our trip (Lavazza in cup with filter cap rather wan and tasteless). It ran to time, and announcements audible and legible. It seemed to be a recently commissioned set, with the interior still fresh, better than my last previous experience with one that appeared rather scruffy on a trip from Paddington to Reading.

One thing that has struck me on both trips. The decor on Electrostars is much brighter and pleasing to the eye. My previous trip, involving changing trains at Reading for Goring between both types, highlighted this. The IET (Intercity Express Train) was a drab mix of shades of mid grey with a few pallid green touches - hand grabs and the strip with directions to toilets etc along the top of the windows. In particular, the grey carpet down the gangway was already soiled. The (apparently newer) Devon train seemed to have a darker seat fabric. By contrast the Electrostar's charcoal/bright green and off-white looks much more cheerful. and the charcoal and green carpet seems more durable and does not seem to show the grime so much.

On our day out to St Ives, the St Erth - Sr Ives train was a nicely refurbished 2 car 150, also in the same colour scheme as the Electrostar, what looked like new seats throughout, only 4 across and tables for each seat (admittedly small fold down ones where seats did not face), with the only downside the poor fenestration of this type meaning not all enjoyed a decent view on this scenic journey. The return St Erth - St Davids was a refurbished 2 car 158 also in the same colour scheme. Both were a much better experience that the tired worn out  tatty First Group interiors of the Turbos I normally encounter on my commute. Everything ran on time, the trains were busy at times but not crowded. A pleasant GWR (Great Western Railway) experience (for a change?)
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 06, 2018, 07:04:22 »

"Conductor" = old Wessex grade / "Train Manager" = old High Speed grade?

With the planned replacement of virtually all 15x / 16x diagrams on the Stroud Valley line with through IET services to London, the number of crews needed for working the old Wessex (west fleet) services out of Gloucester will be reduced, I guess -  hence the logical training on the replacement trains.

One of the benefits of scale of the whole franchise being one from 2005, rather than red bits and blue bits, or whatever it was in those days!

Conductors are responsible for local routes. Gloucester has a weird way of staffing as they only have 9 train managers as of present and sign all local routes and get first shout for HSS (High Speed Services). Now Gloucester drivers are starting to be trained onto IETs meaning that they are using the new drivers they are hiring to cover more duties.

An issue that has came to mind that At least 1/3 of all TransWilts services are Gloucester operated coming of a Swindon shuttle meaning that crew would need to swap at Swindon en route.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 07:10:32 by CharlieGlos » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1153 on: November 06, 2018, 07:30:35 »

An issue that has came to mind that At least 1/3 of all TransWilts services are Gloucester operated coming of a Swindon shuttle meaning that crew would need to swap at Swindon en route.

I didn't think it was as high as a third - between 20% and 30% would have been my suggestion.

Come hourly through London services from the Stroud Valley, diagrams change.   For example, an extra service from Westbury to Swindon at around 05:15 feeds the 06:12 Swindon to Southampton which is currently an extension of the 05:17 from Gloucester.   No doubt crew diagrams will change too.

On the subject of the 05:15, I welcome it and think it will generate traffic.  I am though very disappointed indeed that this train will become part of the threshold of trains required on the line, and draft timetables have show the loss of a train in the middle of the day ...

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 06, 2018, 08:45:30 »

The return St Erth - St Davids was a refurbished 2 car 158 also in the same colour scheme. Both were a much better experience that the tired worn out  tatty First Group interiors of the Turbos I normally encounter on my commute. Everything ran on time, the trains were busy at times but not crowded. A pleasant GWR (Great Western Railway) experience (for a change?)

Of course, the nice 158 you traveled in was almost certainly "cascaded" from the Bristol area - which has been replaced by a " tired worn out tatty First Group ................Turbo"   Just to rub salt into the wounds, GWR run the refurbished 158s in the Bristol area for a couple of months before taking them away - to make sure we would see what we were losing !!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: