I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:03:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543973 times)
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: January 22, 2019, 19:19:13 »

For the vigilant and regular travellers of members you would have noticed that signage is (finally) appearing on the IETs (Intercity Express Train). I am working in London again next week after a long time over the place and I will attempt to get a Photo. However at Cardiff Central on Saturday I saw labels for bikes on the side of the trains. In the interior additional safety information posters are appearing and should eventually (alongside the reupholstered seats) will be rolled out over the fleet.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: January 23, 2019, 08:50:23 »

More shorties running again today...beware.
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: January 23, 2019, 10:00:45 »

More shorties running again today...beware.

One of the more noticeable ones being the 0712 Taunton to Paddington via Bristol. I believe it’s the first off peak towards London. Full and standing from Bristol, reportedly.

Wilf19

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: January 23, 2019, 11:50:37 »

I saw the comments about 5 car sets on here yesterday. Trotted down to Swindon station to go home and lo and behold a 5 car set turns up for the 16:39 from Swindon to Bristol Parkway, that was cosy!

Usual battles with people dumping all their crap on the window seat and then sitting in the aisle seat in the hope that no-one will ask them to move.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1279 on: January 25, 2019, 08:12:06 »

Photos as first Intercity Express Train to work 1C91 train arrives in Paignton - https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2019/01/photos-as-first-intercity-express-train-to-work-1c91-train-arrives-in-paignton.html

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: January 25, 2019, 09:24:36 »

Does anyone else find the heating on the IETs (Intercity Express Train) a bit hit-and-miss? The majority are OK but I've been on a couple that are ice-cold and some that are very toasty. Presumably it's an electrical system with blown hot air, so the way the train is being powered shouldn't have any effect on it. But I had the distinct impression on an early morning CNM» (Cheltenham Spa - next trains) - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) service this week that it was nice and snug until Swindon and then cooled down notciceably after the switch to OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") power. Do they perhaps use waste heat from the diesel packs to supplement the main system or was it just coincidence and the TM(resolve) fiddled with the thermostat at Swindon?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: January 25, 2019, 09:33:06 »

Does anyone else find the heating on the IETs (Intercity Express Train) a bit hit-and-miss? The majority are OK but I've been on a couple that are ice-cold and some that are very toasty. Presumably it's an electrical system with blown hot air, so the way the train is being powered shouldn't have any effect on it. But I had the distinct impression on an early morning CNM» (Cheltenham Spa - next trains) - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) service this week that it was nice and snug until Swindon and then cooled down notciceably after the switch to OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") power. Do they perhaps use waste heat from the diesel packs to supplement the main system or was it just coincidence and the TM(resolve) fiddled with the thermostat at Swindon?

I too wondered (and and not just about IETs) whether engine waste heat was used, if only to garner a few green brownie points. I concluded (with no hard evidence) not, as the design is common with all-electric models, and the diesels are squeezed into a size and shape that leaves no scope for "nice to have" design features (for example adequate engine cooling). Plus of course the trailer cars don't have engines, so it would not apply to them anyway - we've got used recently on GWR (Great Western Railway) to engine-per-coach DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), but the latest ones (and bi-modes especially) are not like that.
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: January 25, 2019, 15:21:41 »

There is no connection between the engines and the coach heating (other than supplying electrical power when running in diesel mode).  It’s all controlled by the roof mounted HVAC packs (two per coach).

The T/M cannot alter the thermostat settings, these are only available in maintenance mode.  The electrical supply to the HVAC should be consistent from the APS (auxiliary power supply) whether it is fed from the generator or the OHL (Over-Head Line).

The heating should kick in at 19°C and cooling at 22°C, so the saloon temp should remain between those temps, obviously having people stood in vestibules causing the vestibule internal doors to keep opening , especially when the external doors are open, will alter the temps in this weather and whilst both the heating and the cooling is efficient, it’s not instant.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: January 25, 2019, 15:34:12 »

An interesting look behind the scenes - thanks.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: January 25, 2019, 20:11:59 »

There is no connection between the engines and the coach heating (other than supplying electrical power when running in diesel mode).  It’s all controlled by the roof mounted HVAC packs (two per coach).

The T/M cannot alter the thermostat settings, these are only available in maintenance mode.  The electrical supply to the HVAC should be consistent from the APS (auxiliary power supply) whether it is fed from the generator or the OHL (Over-Head Line).

The heating should kick in at 19°C and cooling at 22°C, so the saloon temp should remain between those temps, obviously having people stood in vestibules causing the vestibule internal doors to keep opening , especially when the external doors are open, will alter the temps in this weather and whilst both the heating and the cooling is efficient, it’s not instant.

I find the exterior walls on the IET are often very cold. Don't know if that's just me but it really feels cold especially beneath table height. It's a shame because my last few trips have been extremely efficient with early arrivals.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: January 28, 2019, 18:02:13 »

5 coaches on the 1730 to Bristol this evening, glad I'm only going between Reading and Didcot!
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: January 28, 2019, 19:58:33 »

Not sure if this is the right place for this photo, perhaps it should be in 4 track on Filton bank, but intersting to note ex HST (High Speed Train) coaches are off to Long Marston, presumably for long term storage, what a waste. while there are still short formed trains, still..

http://www.railway-centre.com/uploads/7/2/2/3/7223531/pod-28-01-19_orig.jpg

Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 29, 2019, 19:40:10 »

5 coaches on the 1730 to Bristol this evening, glad I'm only going between Reading and Didcot!

And a couple of 5-coach diagrams again today, I think?

Why are there any IET (Intercity Express Train) short forms at the moment?  They're not yet running the full IET timetable, yet all the 800s have been delivered now.  So, are there lots laid up in depots for modifications and repairs?
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: January 29, 2019, 19:47:57 »

A 9 coach running 1A08 from Exeter this morning got no further than Bristol Temple Meads .
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: January 29, 2019, 20:08:48 »

Usual battles with people dumping all their crap on the window seat and then sitting in the aisle seat in the hope that no-one will ask them to move.

That selfish behaviour does annoy me. I was on a very crowded train a while ago and in order to encourage people to move bags from unoccupied seats, the train manager threatened to charge a fare for the bags etc.! This was probably just a method to free up empty seats, but I did wonder whether terms and conditions allowed this charge to be made in practice.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 22:39:00 by Rob on the hill » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: