Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:35 26 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 00:40:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 549282 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: January 31, 2019, 16:31:42 »

I too am surprised to hear that two engines have to be run overnight.

Two engines don't have to run overnight, that's just the standard number that run when 'turnaround' mode is selected.  Turnaround is specifically designed for cutting emissions when there are long layovers at places like Paddington, Hereford and Oxford and is invoked by pressing a button the TMS.  A bit like shutting the one engine down on a HST (High Speed Train).  I should imagine the systems would all be adequately provided for with one engine running, but as well as the insurance I mentioned in my previous post I expect it's much easier just to leave it in turnaround mode than mess about than shutting down all engines then locally starting one of them back up.

Ah - I think there's a terminology thing here. I was using "layover" in the sense the TARA (Train Availability and Reliability Agreement) does: being out of service overnight but not at a depot, and typically for 5 or 6 hours. "Turnaround" as the name of a mode sounds to me like the time between services at platform or possibly in a siding, but rarely for over an hour. It appears that, whatever Hitachi's original intention, the preferred solution for overnight layovers is a shore supply. (Of course that does not preclude Hitachi objecting to a particular site's supply on technical grounds.) If that's right, I can see that Turnover mode would be the obvious method of overnighting without a shore supply, certainly as a stop-gap.

A couple of other questions have occurred to me about auxiliary power, which I can't really answer. The limited information on this isn't really very technical, and is about bimodes. So if it says that all auxiliary power comes from a 240 kW APS with each engine, is that true of an 801/2 with 9 cars and one engine? Wouldn't it have a higher power APS or another one fed from 25 kV (and so needing an AC/DC (Direct Current) convertor)? As I say, getting too detailed for the available sources.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: January 31, 2019, 16:37:34 »

IETs (Intercity Express Train) are not so Dawlish proof.
2 have been hit by waves in succession and have had engines shut down  (1A90 3 of 5 knocked out and 1A88 5 of 6 knocked out)
Wrong kind of wave?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: January 31, 2019, 16:46:50 »

At least it appears both trains kept going and didn't block the line along the seawall.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: January 31, 2019, 17:17:32 »

A couple of other questions have occurred to me about auxiliary power, which I can't really answer. The limited information on this isn't really very technical, and is about bimodes. So if it says that all auxiliary power comes from a 240 kW APS with each engine, is that true of an 801/2 with 9 cars and one engine? Wouldn't it have a higher power APS or another one fed from 25 kV (and so needing an AC/DC (Direct Current) convertor)? As I say, getting too detailed for the available sources.

Oops - should've though a bit before posting that, since I do know half of the answer. Every motor coach has a traction/APS electronics package, it just doesn't have an engine. The thing I'm not quite sure about is whether the 50 Hz MV out of the transformers goes to one of these and is converted to DC there, or is converted in (or under) the pantograph coach and sent along the train as DC. So there are always plenty of APSs when fed from OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") - whether only one is in use on an 801/2 off-wire is still not clear.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: January 31, 2019, 17:22:25 »

At least it appears both trains kept going and didn't block the line along the seawall.

I don't know if it's one of them but the 12.04 PNZ PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) terminated at Exeter....

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: January 31, 2019, 17:52:05 »

It was - what I meant was it didn't come to a halt in the way Cross Country services had a habit of doing.   It is much easier to deal with a failed train, both in terms of fixing the unit and helping passengers at a station than out on the seawall.  Also less disruptive to other services.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1341 on: January 31, 2019, 17:57:01 »

Sea Wall at Dawlish -- video from Devon Live / CrossCountry not running through

Bit of topic drift (I can split if need be) ... but are those really people on the sea wall in the video?  Are they being a bit silly being there?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: January 31, 2019, 19:37:01 »

Usual selection of half length services today BTW (by the way).

One of those being the 0629 Swansea to Paddington, which runs a few minutes ahead of the 0730 Cardiff to Portsmouth - which today was cancelled between Cardiff and Bristol.  Meaning 5 coaches instead of 15 for the peak half hour of the morning commute from S Wales to Bristol.

Fortunately I was in time to catch the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service that runs half an hour before what must have been a miserable crush.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: January 31, 2019, 21:56:51 »

Sea Wall at Dawlish -- video from Devon Live / CrossCountry not running through

Bit of topic drift (I can split if need be) ... but are those really people on the sea wall in the video?  Are they being a bit silly being there?

When I lived in Devon many years ago I met a lifeboatman. He told me that if you get a bit of a blow and the waves get up, people go and look. The bigger the waves the more people who go and watch Sad
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: January 31, 2019, 22:32:18 »

I'm disappointed to hear that the IETs (Intercity Express Train) also run their diesel engines when not in use in the same way as the HSTs (High Speed Train). Why? I thought all this nonsense would have finished with the new trains. Surely modern technology doesn't require a running engine several hours before the train is about to move?

The 165/166 units were often switched off at Paddington when I boarded and turned on just before leaving. Has diesel technology gone backwards?
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: January 31, 2019, 22:43:31 »

The 165/166 units were often switched off at Paddington when I boarded and turned on just before leaving. Has diesel technology gone backwards?

Sadly not the case at Reading Station- we often had several Turbos all with engines running awaiting movements off to the depot, supplemented by XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Voyagers doing the same during their extended stops filling the air with fumes, and when the wind was in certain directions they filled the airspace in the new overbridge too! One enormous improvement since electrification is that this nuisance has reduced considerably.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: February 01, 2019, 12:52:48 »

It's like a major step backwards around 60 years, when engines had to be kept 'in steam'!

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: February 02, 2019, 08:21:36 »

Today's IET (Intercity Express Train) shortforms (so far) 5 instead of 9 or 10;

05:59 Swansea to London Paddington due 08:59
06:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington due 08:44
06:29 Swansea to London Paddington due 09:30
06:59 Swansea to London Paddington due 10:01
07:30 London Paddington to Penzance due 13:15
08:03 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids due 10:39
09:22 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street due 11:47
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 11:15
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 11:39
10:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 12:14
12:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 13:38
12:01 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington due 14:38
12:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 14:14
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 14:41
14:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 15:41
14:00 Penzance to London Paddington due 19:22
14:52 London Paddington to Oxford due 15:50
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance due 20:34
15:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 17:15
16:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 18:14
17:02 Oxford to London Paddington due 18:00
18:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 19:37
18:22 London Paddington to Hereford due 21:35
18:29 Swansea to London Paddington due 21:29
18:45 London Paddington to Swansea due 21:43
20:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 21:44
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth due 23:45
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1348 on: February 02, 2019, 08:52:07 »

Today's IET (Intercity Express Train) shortforms (so far) 5 instead of 9 or 10

Silly question - how do the economics of this work? Does the represent a significant cost saving for the train operator in terms of train hire costs from Hitachi, track access charges, electricity / diesel and (where 10 cars is reduced to 5) staffing.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: February 02, 2019, 10:40:42 »

Rather curiously these five from that list (diagram NP108) are on Journeycheck as a 5-car, but according to the allocations on internal system Genius are in fact 9-car, 800306.

1L24   Swansea   06:29   Padton   09:30         
1C09   Padton   10:00   BrstlTM   11:39         
1A17   BrstlTM   12:30   Padton   14:14         
1B46   Padton   14:45   Swansea   17:43         
1L92   Swansea   18:29   Padton   21:29   

If anyone is out and about and can confirm then it would be intestesting to know which system is wrong.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: