09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
10:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 08:07:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 547415 times)
nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: November 26, 2019, 09:16:05 »

Thanks. So I can see how it's possible to do more with the same amount of resources.

But does the impact of set non-availability become worse after December 15 as each diagram has additional services, compared to the current timetable. From a service level perspective the percentage of services impacted might not change but the actual number of services impacted will go up (and customers care about the service they intend to use, not an overall performance figure).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: November 26, 2019, 11:06:40 »

The same number of daily units for the IET (Intercity Express Train) diagrams are required for the December timetable change as are required now as a result of Graham's comments regarding the diagrams.  Maintenance is higher now that it will be in December in an attempt to improve availability for the December change.  We all await with interest as to whether that's the case or not, if it's a 'not' then there will indeed be more short formations as the average diagram has more trips on it.

Many Paddington/Reading/Oxford 387 drivers also sign 80x, so will be able to redeploy to a certain extent, depending on the routes they sign.

I note JourneyCheck is once again all over the place today.  It lists these as a 5-car when they are actually a 9-car (800307):

1A02   BrstlTM   05:30   Padton    07:17         
1G11   Padton    07:36   Chltnhm   09:52         
1L50   Chltnhm   10:36   Padton    12:44         
1G38   Padton    13:36   Chltnhm   15:52         
1L80   Chltnhm   16:20   Padton    18:38         
1B81   Padton    19:15   Swansea   22:20

It lists these as a 5-car, when they are actually a 10-car (802007/011):

1C04   Padton    07:30   Penznce   13:13         
1A93   Penznce   14:00   Padton    19:20
1C96   Padton    20:03   Plymth    23:36         

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
hoover50

Class 50 at Swindon

View Profile Email
« Reply #2162 on: November 26, 2019, 13:15:08 »

Can someone explain how GWR (Great Western Railway) propose to introduce a reliable new timetable in December given that rolling stock availability isn’t meeting their existing service needs?

I reckon they will do this by running more trains with 5 carriages rather than the 9 or 10 that they should have,
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: November 26, 2019, 13:34:06 »

Can someone explain how GWR (Great Western Railway) propose to introduce a reliable new timetable in December given that rolling stock availability isn’t meeting their existing service needs?

I reckon they will do this by running more trains with 5 carriages rather than the 9 or 10 that they should have,

Well, that's what they're doing now. 

It has long been known that more 'booked' 5-car services will be operating from December (and more again when the extra Bristol trains complete the jigsaw next year) as a result of the big frequency increases, though I've not seen any retraction yet to an initial pledge that nothing into London in the morning peak or out in the evening peak will be less than 9-cars.  If the fleet requirements are the same number from December and most sets are used more intensively/efficiently then that means more seats - a big increase on when the HST (High Speed Train) fleet provided the service - though of course they might not get all the allocations spot on first time around and some routes will benefit to a larger degree than others.

If anything booked for a 9 or 10-car is shortformed then it should appear on JourneyCheck as it should do now.  I, and others, will know what is what and attempt to keep an eye on it given JourneyCheck's lack of accuracy.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: November 26, 2019, 13:45:47 »

It was mentioned at last night's GWR (Great Western Railway) panel meeting in Plymouth that a software upgrade for the IETs (Intercity Express Train) will start to be rolled out across the fleet from this weekend.  It will cover a number of engine management issues and more obvious things like seat reservations.   
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: November 26, 2019, 14:35:09 »

I suspect that the new timetable will contain a lot more 5 car formations, not short formations, but booked to be 5 car.
I suspect some wiggle room will be found to justify 5 car units in the rush hour, this of course wont be a retraction of the earlier promise that all peak hour services to/from London will be full length.

Re-brand 5 cars as being "in line with demand" or "actually an increase in capacity due to the increased service"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: November 26, 2019, 15:00:57 »

I suspect that the new timetable will contain a lot more 5 car formations, not short formations, but booked to be 5 car.

As I said in my previous post, it has been a stated given for many years that more trains will run off-peak, or contra peak, booked as 5-car trains when the timetable is fully implemented, so no need to suspect anything, as that is what is happening.  The key will be to making sure as far as possible that the booked 5-car trains are suitable for 5-car trains (of which there are plenty), and those booked for 9/10-cars are very rarely shortformed due to availability issues.

Do you still suspect that hardly any changes will be made to the timetable in December as you confidently predicted a few months ago? 

I thought not!  Roll Eyes

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: November 26, 2019, 15:31:22 »

I note JourneyCheck is once again all over the place today.  It lists these as a 5-car when they are actually a 9-car (800307):

1A02   BrstlTM   05:30   Padton    07:17         
1G11   Padton    07:36   Chltnhm   09:52         
1L50   Chltnhm   10:36   Padton    12:44         
1G38   Padton    13:36   Chltnhm   15:52         
1L80   Chltnhm   16:20   Padton    18:38         
1B81   Padton    19:15   Swansea   22:20

It lists these as a 5-car, when they are actually a 10-car (802007/011):

1C04   Padton    07:30   Penznce   13:13         
1A93   Penznce   14:00   Padton    19:20
1C96   Padton    20:03   Plymth    23:36         

16:15 Paddington to Swansea also now a 9-car (800314).

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: November 27, 2019, 11:54:25 »

It was mentioned at last night's GWR (Great Western Railway) panel meeting in Plymouth that a software upgrade for the IETs (Intercity Express Train) will start to be rolled out across the fleet from this weekend.  It will cover a number of engine management issues and more obvious things like seat reservations.   

Yes, several improvements.  Though a heavy delay was incurred today when two units running different software versions were coupled together in service.  It shouldn’t have happened but did!

In better news LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about)’s 9-car Azuma (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER) fleet will be modified in the new year to provide extra luggage stacks by removing some of the seats with no view.  Hopefully similar modifications will take place to GWR sets?  Especially the 802s working the WoE duties.

rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: November 28, 2019, 10:24:40 »

Yes, several improvements.  Though a heavy delay was incurred today when two units running different software versions were coupled together in service.  It shouldn’t have happened but did!
In these days of auto-updating software, one would have imagined that the unit with the older software would request an update from the other unit as soon as they were coupled together.   Isn't that what happens when one plugs one's car/phone/iPad/shaver in to be charged?  Grin
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: November 28, 2019, 10:37:44 »

In the (good) old days we just used to paint black triangles etc on the ends of units.

There'll always be a real world beyond the virtual one of software.

OTC
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2171 on: November 28, 2019, 12:21:05 »

In these days of auto-updating software, one would have imagined that the unit with the older software would request an update from the other unit as soon as they were coupled together.   Isn't that what happens when one plugs one's car/phone/iPad/shaver in to be charged?  Grin

It probably did try - but asked for credit card details so the upgrade could be charged for.  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: November 28, 2019, 13:30:37 »

"hello, I am calling from Microsoft technical support. We have detected a problem with your new train. If you could just give me your password and a few other details I can fix this remotely for you"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: November 28, 2019, 15:31:41 »

"hello, I am calling from Microsoft technical support. We have detected a problem with your new train. If you could just give me your password and a few other details I can fix this remotely for you"

Do you use this train for banking by any chance as we would need to elimminate that from our enquiries.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: November 28, 2019, 17:23:22 »

Do you use this train for banking by any chance as we would need to elimminate that from our enquiries.

Locomotives tend to be used for banking, rather than entire trains. Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: