07:31 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
07:57 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 08:52:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 546625 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: December 27, 2019, 16:36:03 »

Other short formations causing problems too - notwithstanding the tragic circumstances highlighted in one case, there cannot be any excuse for this...…..

https://twitter.com/bluedazzler101/status/1210568847016808448?s=20
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2221 on: December 27, 2019, 16:57:09 »

Other short formations causing problems too ...

Silly question - with Paddington closed, were a lot of IETs (Intercity Express Train) stranded at North Pole or were they gotten out on / by 23rd?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: December 27, 2019, 17:26:56 »

Obviously not having access to North Pole meant diagrams were altered substantially.  For example quite a few Cotswold Line services were Turbos today, but that was planned.  Not sure about the train from Exeter referenced above but it looks like it should have been a 9 or 10.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: December 27, 2019, 18:08:20 »

Other short formations causing problems too ...

Silly question - with Paddington closed, were a lot of IETs (Intercity Express Train) stranded at North Pole or were they gotten out on / by 23rd?

Judging by the number of ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) moves into North Pole late on Monday, there were not many trains camping out overnight (or overChristmas) at Reading, or anywhere else. But then there isn't much space for them, especially if access to the possession by engineering trains is needed. Services seem to have started from Bristol this morning, or in the case of the North Cotswolds they started with Turbos.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: December 27, 2019, 18:20:54 »

Also possible some sets didn’t end up at their planned depot on Monday night because of the level crossing incident at Bradford on Tone that night. 
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: December 29, 2019, 17:58:21 »

Another memorable IET (Intercity Express Train) journey yesterday Saturday 28th. 0915 from Penzance 5 cars instead of 10. Reservations cancelled - chaos. trolley in fixed position as it could not get down the train. Train manager announced there would be no ticket checks so purchase tickets when you get off.
These commuter units do not have enough racking for all the suit cases on long distance holiday trains. I felt very sorry for the crew as many people were saying vehemently what they thought of the new trains!!
Much better on the way home. The 1447 from Plymouth was formed of a Castle The incoming unit was turned around and took the place of the booked 150 which returned to Exeter. Very commendable because the train was extremely busy and not everyone would have got on the 150.
With the new half hourly service in Cornwall it should now be easier to avoid an IET.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: December 29, 2019, 19:50:19 »

Careful now, I have been told off for suggesting that these are local or suburban or commuter style trains.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: December 29, 2019, 21:37:45 »

I'm writing this from my first really long and high speed return trip to home on an GWR (Great Western Railway) IET (Intercity Express Train) (just approaching TAUNTON Roll Eyes).  My impressions are somewhat mixed, but I'll summarise them as follows:

1. 35mins late leaving Paddington due to crew shortage (incoming train late, not the fault of the IET itself of course, well not in this case at least).

2. Train inside very noisy and difficult to make out the PA (Public Address) announcements.  There seems also to be a very bad wheel flat on the bogie I'm sat over.

3. Suspension very stiff and bogies hitting top stops rather loudly when passing over S&C (Settle and Carlisle ) (in particular on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) Line with its very poor track geometry).

4. Catering was OK with two trolleys that passed through several times.

5. Toilets seem a little bit too compact and difficult to see water/soap/drier controls.

6. I'm quite tall (with consequent long legs) and its a bit difficult to get into/out of inner of 4 seats with tables.  Don't (Didn't) have that problem on a MK3.

7. Acceleration on AC very impressive.

8. Acceleration on Diesel seems very poor and we seemed to struggle with the Devon banks earlier in the morning.

Overall impression: An 'Average' train that our politicians probably think is fit enough for us Far-Southwesterners......

Earlier in the day I had travelled on two Siemens Desiro trains and my judgement is thats a much better train and better quality than an IET (well, a GWR one that is - haven't been on an LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) Zoomer yet)!

Edit to add some after-observations:

(a) The seat covers are showing signs of wear on the edges where passengers rotate as they get into and out of seats (they won't last long at that rate - in some cases already threadbare).

(b) There are several places around the train seats where buiscuit crumbs are collecting and not being hoovered up.  Doesn't look very hygenic to me.

(c) Train window exteriors not very clean.  Its been a few dry days so no excuse there.

(d) Toilet door very difficult to slide open due to heavy springing.  It was even more difficult if the door was moving against the train motion direction.

(e) Illuminated Saloon 'Toilet Engaged' sign very difficult to see at a distance when lit.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 17:06:03 by SandTEngineer » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: December 30, 2019, 16:59:38 »

Careful now, I have been told off for suggesting that these are local or suburban or commuter style trains.

You’ve only been ‘told off’ for suggesting it time and time again at every opportunity.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2229 on: December 30, 2019, 18:46:54 »

Is it just me  Huh
I seem to be seeing many (a lot more?) "this is due to more trains than usual needing maintenance" - this being the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s!
Many seem to be delayed with a train fault enroute.
There seem to be a lot of 'faults' for a new train; or is it just because they are new?

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: December 30, 2019, 18:54:37 »

Is it just me  Huh
I seem to be seeing many (a lot more?) "this is due to more trains than usual needing maintenance" - this being the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s!
Many seem to be delayed with a train fault enroute.
There seem to be a lot of 'faults' for a new train; or is it just because they are new?

HST (High Speed Train) had lots of 'faults' when new.  IETs are not like a new car only driven by yourself (and perhaps by your wife) but get used by thousands of people every day with differing views (and yes, I'm one of them).  From reading elsewhere HITACHI have had problems with various bits of equipment and a lot of the original specification wasn't 'up to the job'.  Now, I wonder who wrote the latter..... Tongue

....and before anybody moans about my last comment.  I would point out that its not the suppliers/contractors role to point out deficiences in the specification written by the client, although most competent, if not all would do so.  They want to win the contract and make money on the variations they have spotted. I'm not suggesting HITACHI have done that here, but its possible.  Been there, done that, on both sides quite a few times on major signalling schemes.  Its called the 'Contracting Industry'. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 21:10:55 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: December 30, 2019, 21:20:15 »

Just lately there have been 3 units (1x9, 2x5)  out that hit something at Hullavington, the two that are still in Taunton after hitting the car, another unit that hit an object on the track and suffered severe damage, the one that was damaged at Penzance has just come back and nearly 1 fatality a day lately.  All have to come out of service and incur extended, unplanned repair, not sure any other operator or maintainer would be able to cope with levels of damage like that and keep a full service running.  That’s why more than usual need maintenance.....
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: December 30, 2019, 21:25:58 »

I understand the Taunton Units went back to Stoke Gifford for repair today, saw them there yesterday morning (Sunday 29/12/2019) whilst on a passing service.  They might have been restricted there by RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) of course.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 21:46:08 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: December 30, 2019, 22:45:13 »

I understand the Taunton Units went back to Stoke Gifford for repair today, saw them there yesterday morning (Sunday 29/12/2019) whilst on a passing service.  They might have been restricted there by RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) of course.

They were going back there sometime today, 20mph.  Operational reasons for them staying at Fairwater Yard for Xmas, no other, they were released once it was confirmed as a deliberate act.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: January 08, 2020, 11:24:53 »

Loathe as I am to reopen this topic but have you seen the Cafe Bar on the new Class 745 trains for the London - Norwich route, and they also have trolleys.

http://pic.twitter.com/ioq4Tlyp7S

And of course London - Norwich has a much shorter journey time than say London - Exeter never mind Plymouth or Penzance.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: