Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:10:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543845 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: September 19, 2020, 22:52:18 »

Could the surfboards be used as additional Pullman tables in the vestibules?

Anyway, surfboards have been proven to fit quite nicely within the existing luggage holds on IETs (Intercity Express Train).  The introduction of the new trains just gave an excuse to clamp down on something that had become a bit of a nuisance and became a bit of a PR (Public Relations) disaster as it wasn't thought through very well.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: September 19, 2020, 23:26:18 »

I wonder if someone at First Group has been told off for the bad timing of this downgrade.
What should have been done would have been to ban surfboards at least 5 years ago, and perhaps longer ago.
Then they could have blamed the surfboard ban on "better meeting customer needs". But now people (like me) are blaming it on the downgrade from proper inter city trains to 5 car DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit)

And this is not self interest, I am much too old and fat to consider use of a surfboard. Such items should however be carried on inter city trains, especially those that serve holiday destinations popular with surfers.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 23:38:34 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: September 19, 2020, 23:50:01 »

'Downgrade', 'Proper Inter-City trains' and 'DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit)' - could well be a line if you're playing Broadgage Bingo at home folks...

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: September 20, 2020, 00:14:39 »

'Downgrade', 'Proper Inter-City trains' and 'DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit)' - could well be a line if you're playing Broadgage Bingo at home folks...

I have avoided unduly frequent comment about the above.
However a great many people consider IETs (Intercity Express Train) to be a downgrade, in regard to seating comfort, catering provision, luggage space in general, and cycles and surfboards in particular.

Many people consider that HSTs (High Speed Train) were proper inter city trains, with padded seats, buffets, luggage space, and general quality. The new units have been widely compared to local trains, not inter city trains.

There seems to be a reluctance to admit that the new units are DMUs, but they ARE equipped with underfloor engines, and they ARE powered thereby for most of the journey to Plymouth or beyond. So on what basis should they considered as not being DMUs ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2449 on: September 20, 2020, 09:50:24 »

However a great many people consider IETs (Intercity Express Train) to be a downgrade, in regard to seating comfort, catering provision, luggage space in general, and cycles and surfboards in particular.

Many people consider that HSTs (High Speed Train) were proper inter city trains, with padded seats, buffets, luggage space, and general quality. The new units have been widely compared to local trains, not inter city trains.

There seems to be a reluctance to admit that the new units are DMUs, but they ARE equipped with underfloor engines, and they ARE powered thereby for most of the journey to Plymouth or beyond. So on what basis should they considered as not being DMUs ?

I hear reports that GWR (Great Western Railway) have addressed those concerns with their latest offering...

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: September 20, 2020, 10:41:53 »

Um, you really haven't.

There seems to be a reluctance to admit that the new units are DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), but they ARE equipped with underfloor engines, and they ARE powered thereby for most of the journey to Plymouth or beyond. So on what basis should they considered as not being DMUs ?

Um, because they are bi-mode trains. 

You just call them DMUs because it helps you to make them sound old fashioned and a "downgrade" compared with HSTs (High Speed Train) - which, ironically, have often been described as DMUs themselves of course.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2451 on: September 20, 2020, 11:07:04 »

.. call them DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) ..

Diesel Multiple Units.   Diesel trains where multiple trains can be hooked up to each other to run as a single longer train in the normal course of operation.

HSTs (High Speed Train) and Castles are NOT multiple units?
5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train) are multiple units?
9 car IETs are NOT multiple units?
Adelantes are multiple units

All of the above are diesel powered and with passenger accommodation within a virtually permamently coupled train.  Which (none / some / all) of the passenger accommodation has engines in the same vehicle will vary (but not change the definition) ... and whether or not they have electric capability too does not effect them being diesel multiple units (5 car IETs) or diesel units (others) west of Bedwyn, Bristol, Oxford and Swansea Newbury, Cocklebury Lane, Didcot and Cardiff and electric on the important sections east thereof.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: September 20, 2020, 15:05:28 »

Diesel Multiple Units.   Diesel trains where multiple trains can be hooked up to each other to run as a single longer train in the normal course of operation.

HSTs (High Speed Train) and Castles are NOT multiple units?
5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train) are multiple units?
9 car IETs are NOT multiple units?
Adelantes are multiple units

If you describe the daily diagrams as 'normal course of operation', then I guess your questions can be answered in the affirmative.  However, there have been a couple of instances on the East Coast of 18-car operation and at least one 13-car, where failed 'units' have been rescued whilst in passenger service.

Can this be described as HSTs/Castles in multiple?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: September 20, 2020, 17:11:08 »

A commonsense way of defining a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) would in my view be as follows.

Powered primarily by one or more diesel engines that are contained within the passenger carrying vehicles. (usually under the floor, but elsewhere in the same vehicle, as in a Hampshire unit is still a DMU)
An electric IET (Intercity Express Train) is NOT a DMU because it although it DOES have a diesel engine in a passenger vehicle, it is not primarily powered thereby.

By this common sense definition IETs are DMUs, even the 9 car ones that dont normally run in multiple.

HSTs (High Speed Train) are not thus considered to be DMUs since the engines are in separate vehicles not normally used by passengers. And no, an HST does not suddenly become a DMU if passengers stand in the power car.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: September 20, 2020, 17:52:54 »

Describing a 9-car IET (Intercity Express Train) running much of its time on electric power and spending all of its life not coupled to anything (other than the odd emergency rescue) a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is the opposite of common sense if you ask me.  Calling them Bi-mode trains, or even BMU/BMMU, makes much more sense, and is much more accurate. 

But that doesn?t suit your narrative.

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: September 20, 2020, 17:58:29 »

A commonsense way of defining a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) would in my view be as follows.

Powered primarily by one or more diesel engines that are contained within the passenger carrying vehicles. (usually under the floor, but elsewhere in the same vehicle, as in a Hampshire unit is still a DMU)
An electric IET (Intercity Express Train) is NOT a DMU because it although it DOES have a diesel engine in a passenger vehicle, it is not primarily powered thereby.

By this common sense definition IETs are DMUs, even the 9 car ones that dont normally run in multiple.

HSTs (High Speed Train) are not thus considered to be DMUs since the engines are in separate vehicles not normally used by passengers. And no, an HST does not suddenly become a DMU if passengers stand in the power car.

Agreed, however, HSTs were originally classified as Class 253 and 254 DMUs when first introduced into traffic - and by the same logic, the Class 255 'Castle'.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: September 20, 2020, 18:27:59 »

Describing a 9-car IET (Intercity Express Train) running much of its time on electric power and spending all of its life not coupled to anything (other than the odd emergency rescue) a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is the opposite of common sense if you ask me.  Calling them Bi-mode trains, or even BMU/BMMU, makes much more sense, and is much more accurate. 

But that doesn?t suit your narrative.

I largely agree, IF largely running under electric power.
However between Plymouth and Paddington, they are almost entirely diesel powered.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: September 20, 2020, 18:43:28 »

However between Plymouth and Paddington, they are almost entirely diesel powered.

52 miles electric and 172 miles diesel, getting on for 25% on electric, so hardly 'almost entirely' though certainly the greater majority of the time (especially if they are heading through to Penzance). 

The 802s also work other routes where the percentage on electric power is far higher (such as Oxford), but I would imagine they spend more time on diesel than electric overall, but the opposite is probably the case with the Class 800s.  Hopefully those percentages will shift further in favour of electric over the years, and perhaps the engines can be replaced with batteries when the technology improves even further.  I expect you'll still call them DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) though.  Wink

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: September 20, 2020, 19:33:48 »

Once the units are operating primarily on electric power, including both battery power and OHLE, I will not refer to them as DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit).
That is not to say that I will then like them, they would need padded seats, better first class, buffets, and to be reliably full length before I would like them.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2459 on: September 20, 2020, 20:06:50 »

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet ... and whilst a rose it's a thing of great beauty to many, it's the sad death and decay of a living things to others.

I love the forum to be a bit busy and at times a bit contentious ... but I do feel that in this case we've been through it so often that continuing to do so while there's little new is counterproductive.  I am heartened to here them classified as electric trains from London to Bristol, to Swansea and to Oxford.

Looking forward at Network Rail's plans for the moving to Zero Carbon, we have the trains to run as electrification is rolled out to Bedwyn, to Westbury, to Taunton and to Exeter.   In further years, we're well set for Plymouth extendions, and services from Plymouth to Taunton dividing to provide London and Manchester proportions using the electric are route fill in to Bristol and Bromsgrove.    That will mean that every train to Taunton will be under electric power, and it becomes logical to electrify to Minehead too  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: